Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I need some help with my kitten

Jordan_yochum
December 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Well shes being mischievous and i don't know how to discipline her
I do most of my work on computers and her thing right now is chewing on cords and knocking anything and everything with a cord attached over
It's getting really irritating
But i don't know anything about how to discipline cats
Does anyone know what i should do

She has already broken a few sets of speakers and a microphone

:wall:

How do i get her to stop!

:yell:

Lol i love my kitten to death but shes killing me with this cord thing! lol

:rip: :laughing:

rainbow
December 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
Discipline a cat???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But, you could try putting Vicks Vaporub on the cords to deter her. :shrug:

Longblades
December 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
There are some other things you can try. Bitter apple and grape products might not be as messy as the Vicks. She could kill herself with a cord if she bites through an electric one.

May I assume she is big enough to get up on desk tops? And that's where the speakers are? When I find kittens up there I just pick them up by the scruff, say NO sternly, and drop them on the floor and ignore. As they get bigger I drop from higher and higher heights. You have to be safe with a wee one so only from very low at first. A few inches. And no higher than your kitchen counter. This in no way hurts them but the insult to their exalted little kitty egos works wonders.

I have found a big whack with a big stick (I use a wooden spoon) works very well. Not on the cat of course, on the surface you don't want her on. It is amazing how animals know that a hard whack means "don't get up here" while a soft pet on another surface means "it's OK, come on up."

A spray bottle of water works but you must catch them in the act and try to not let them know the spray came from you. They need to think water appears magically when they get on that thing with no involvment from you. It's hard to do.

Coating the surface they should not get on works sometimes. You can try a cookie sheet filled with water. Some upside down sticky tape - they probably won't like it on their feet. Shake cans. Citrus is not pleasant to most cats so orange peels or dishes of those scented leaves and flower petal things left out on deak tops (what's that stuff called?).

You can leave most of these things for kitten to find on her own but I would not do the shake can tied with thread thing when you are not home. You could come home to find a terrified kitten wrapped up in the thread or worse, strangled.

And best of all, tire her out with play with you as much as you can so she doesn't have to entertain herself so much. They very quickly leave the entertaining hyper ball of fluff stage so enjoy it while you can.

badger
December 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Lots of good ideas but please don't use them all at once. This is a baby, whose sole purpose in life other than eating and sleeping is PLAY, he is hard-wired for it. Protect your stuff as best you can and enjoy his antics. Of course, keep him off the counters and anywhere you don't want him to go, but distraction works as well as anything.

You could also think about getting a second kitten so they will focus on each other instead of the furniture. I heard of a rescue recently which will only let people rescue kittens in pairs, which I think is brilliant.

chico2
December 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Badger is right,also,you have to kittenproof your house,bundle up the cords in a tube you can get at IKEA,or probably anywhere.
She is doing what comes natural to her,you cannot discipline a kitten,only distract her and give her something more suitable to play with.
They are little balls of energy and you are definetly better off with 2,you'll love watching them play and interact.
Kudos to the rescue for adopting out pairs:thumbs up

want4rain
December 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
alone with the advice given already id like to second the SECOND KITTEN!!! they get in worlds less trouble when they spend half their time stalking and beating each other up!!!

-ash