Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Want a puppy but....

rtotouch
December 2nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm thinking about getting a puppy but I have one problem my dad has asthma are there any products I can buy to help with the oder? To be truthfully honest I don't even know what difference it would make and what are the affects of having a pet with someone in your household has asthma. Can someone tell me all the facts and issues and solutions with having a pet in a home where someone has asthma.

Thx

CearaQC
December 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
I think I read somewhere that poodles are hypo-allergenic because they don't shed like other dogs.

Dunno about asthma though.

Here's a site I found by a web search that talks about asthma and dogs.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_best_dog_for_a_child_with_asthma

rtotouch
December 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM
there are so many answers i don't know which is right... there a lot of answers saying poodles are good... but i was looking at getting a 2 month old pitbull

Rottielover
December 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
If it is the dander that will trigger the asthma, then no dog will be a good dog. Just being honest. Alot of people with allergies and such do not take dander into consideration, and Dander, all dogs have.

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I have asthma and I have eight dogs. They don't trigger my asthma because my asthma isn't due to or aggravated by allergies.

That being said, though, if your dad has allergies to dogs, bringing a dog into his house is going to trigger his asthma...period. As Rottielover said, all dogs have dander and that can spell trouble for an asthmatic. I even know a few asthmatics who aren't allergic to the hair or dander, but have big time attacks when exposed to canine saliva. :shrug:

So, sad as it is, if you think one of your dad's triggers is allergies to dogs, it's best not to bring one into the house. What does he say about the idea of a dog in the house? Has he been tested for allergies? I think that as long as you're living with him, he should have the final say on whether you get a dog. Look at it this way--if it's a choice between your dad's health and the dog being in the house, your dad's health would be the priority. And that could mean your dog would have to be rehomed...to the detriment of the dog!

Janie123
December 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
To be honest,I would be hesitant to get a dog. Getting attached and then possibly having to find it another home would be traumatic for you and the dog. :(

rtotouch
December 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
i agree with u all... honestly im not gonna go through all the trouble of buying the dog and finding out my dad's asthma attacks are getting worse because of the dog and the having to find him a new home... thx

want4rain
December 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
you could take him somewhere there are dogs and expose him to them a few times and see if he reacts??

-ash