Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog owner

bear the dog
December 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone! It is so cool that this board is here. DH and I just purchased a 12 week old shih tzu puppy we named 'Bear'. He is just soo sweet. I am learning everything there is to know about training him properly (or at least trying to learn...). He seems to have a really good temperment and boy is he a snuggler! :)

Here's a pic of Bear the dog.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z73/queenbee_melissy/Bearrevised.jpg

P.S. This puppy thing is incredibly new to me. It's been forever since I had a puppy, and even then mom & dad were taking care of it. On average how many hours do puppies sleep? I'm guessing since they're baby dogs it could be a lot. I'm just trying to figure out what his 'normal' behavior is... Thanks!!

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
He's very cute ! I don't know how many hours they sleep , but the younger they are , the more they sleep. So enjoy it for now :laughing: because soon enough he will be all over the place , all the time :D

allymack
December 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
hey welcome to the board!

i agree with frenchy enjoy all the time he sleeps because it wont last much longer :D all his little puppy antics will soon be starting up, if they already haven't! :)

also, good job on posting pictures we didnt even has to ask you to post them! but we lovee them! honestly we sometimes get pretty demanding :D also, Bear is too cute, he looks like such a cuddle muffin :)

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Bear is a Doll! :lovestruck:

And we didn't even have to bug you for a picture! :thumbs up Good job. You get an A+ :laughing:

We've found over the years that the first week after you get a new puppy is the honeymoon--then the mischief starts. :eek: So expect Bear to sleep many fewer hours than you'd like him to when he's making mayhem. :D

But remember to cherish the shenanigans--one day you'll wake up and Bear will be all grown up and you'll have nearly forgotten all about those cute little tricks he used to pull as a puppy. :o

hazelrunpack
December 2nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Oh, silly hazel! :o Forgot to say Welcome to the board, bear the dog! :D

rainbow
December 3rd, 2007, 02:45 AM
Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up Bear is adorable and has a bit of a mischievious look about him so enjoy the quiet time while you can. :D

bear the dog
December 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys for that wonderful welcome. Sorry I haven't been back. You know how busy this time of year is!! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/shocked028.gif Bear is already growing out of that sleep-all-the-time stage. DH and I have to run him pretty good to get him to at least nap. I'm looking forward to the time when he actually sleeps through the night!!! :sleepy: That will be WONDERFUL! He's so much fun, though!

We took him with us traveling to visit family. I'm sure he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! Every time he turned around there was someone to play with. Of course, there was 'gramma' and 'uncle' who picked him up and carried him around. Spoiled, much??? Nah.... :laughing:

bear the dog
December 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I forgot to post that he starts 'kinderpuppy' obedience classes in about a week. That will be nice. Not so much for him--he's learned the few commands I've taught him quickly--it's so I can learn how to interact with him effectively. Coming when he's called would be a good start.... :D :dog: <------ I just love this little guy!

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM
He's very cute ! I don't know how many hours they sleep , but the younger they are , the more they sleep. So enjoy it for now because soon enough he will be all over the place , all the time

hey welcome to the board!

i agree with frenchy enjoy all the time he sleeps because it wont last much longer all his little puppy antics will soon be starting up, if they already haven't!
also, good job on posting pictures we didnt even has to ask you to post them! but we lovee them! honestly we sometimes get pretty demanding :D also, Bear is too cute, he looks like such a cuddle muffin :)

Bear is a Doll!
And we didn't even have to bug you for a picture! Good job. You get an A+

We've found over the years that the first week after you get a new puppy is the honeymoon--then the mischief starts. So expect Bear to sleep many fewer hours than you'd like him to when he's making mayhem.
But remember to cherish the shenanigans--one day you'll wake up and Bear will be all grown up and you'll have nearly forgotten all about those cute little tricks he used to pull as a puppy.

Welcome to pets.ca Bear is adorable and has a bit of a mischievious look about him so enjoy the quiet time while you can.

What everyone is trying to say is "Welcome to puppy parenthood 101!"
Are you crate training him? I found that very effective for nights. That way you decide, not the puppy, when it is bedtime. Make sure Bear is pottied for the night, have the crate in a quiet corner, and say night night. (The quiet corner is for you guys, not him. This way you don't hear his cries as loudly. Guilt makes you do weird things. Helps to retain sanity) :crazy:
Welcome to Bear and you. I know you will enjoy it here.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
He's very cute ! I don't know how many hours they sleep , but the younger they are , the more they sleep. So enjoy it for now :laughing: because soon enough he will be all over the place , all the time :D

Like all babies, regardless :D they are sooo cute when they sleep :angel: and such little :evil: when they are awake :D but we love'em!

As for sleeping nights ... :frustrated: Dani is around 2 and still won't let us sleep in on weekends! 7 hours seems to be her max, bladder wise. Sheba, at 12 yesrs old-ish, won't even get up unless I do, even if Lewis is already up and letting Dani outside! She's the older one, but it's her who has the "party-bladder" - go figure.

Bear is totally cute by the way; and welcome to the forum!!

Oh, yes, very good job posting a picture right off with the first post, but ... could we have some more? Pretty please :pray:

StumpsMom
December 29th, 2007, 09:41 PM
What a cutie Bear is! And I don't know how long he'll sleep per day....but enjoy it while it lasts just like everyone has said! :)

JanM
December 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Welcome to you and to Bear - he is a very sweet little guy! I have to add my :2cents: - the puppy antics can become very interesting so enjoy every quiet time you get!

Keep us posted on his kinderpuppy classes too...