Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what pet stores support shelter animals?

scuba0095
December 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hello

I find myself constantly buying from petsmart just because i see they dont have dogs and kittens and support shelters by having many cats for display

I NEVER buy anything from those mall pet stores that are full of puppy mill cat and dogs :(

By only spending my money at places like petsmart am I in a way supporting and helping out shelters around Canada?

I would like to know what other stores support animals in a posative way?

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
I often see cats at Petco and Petsmart on adoption days, and they are from the Cat Network. So I know the ones here support some of those organizations.

Dracko
December 2nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Where I live Petsmart and Petcetra both have cages for shelter animals and NOT byb. PetLand, on the other hand, only had byb animals and it is shocking how it never ends. They just keep coming. :frustrated:

kashtin's kin
December 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Pet Valu is a Canadian :thumbs up company that has never sold byb animals/birds etc. They have arrangements with local SPCA's and humane societies to keep cats up for adoption at most of their stores.

Kristin7
December 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
Around where I live, the stores that support shelters by displaying cats/kittens for adoption are Petsmart, Petco and Pet Supplies Plus. The animals are from various shelters and rescue groups in the area. On weekends they also have rescue groups come in with their foster animals on certain weekends, so that if someone is looking for a dog or cat, they can visit Petsmart and Petco on the weekends and meet some of the fosters in the area. These same stores also support local shelters/feral cat societies etc in other ways, such as by taking donations like food/money/other products, and selling products for which some of the proceeds go to animal charities. :thumbs up

RaYne
December 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Pet Valu is a Canadian :thumbs up company that has never sold byb animals/birds etc. They have arrangements with local SPCA's and humane societies to keep cats up for adoption at most of their stores.

Here Paulmacs Pet Food also supports the humane society by adopting cats/kittens. I purchase all my pet food and supplies from them.

scuba0095
December 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
some stores are better at supporting then others tho

like petsmart and pet cetera carry a good amount of cats and sometimes dogs in their stores

while pet value here only has one or 2 cats at a time

geisha
December 3rd, 2007, 06:22 PM
I also like the idea of supporting petfood stores that support local animal shelters. Petcetera also gave me a 15% off coupon because the Canadian dollar is stronger against the US. Bonus :thumbs up and what a great idea:lightbulb:

Melinda
December 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
I don't support petco or petsmart because they do not allow staffies or pitbulls into their daycare, obedience classes or grooming salon

http://petshotel.petsmart.com/doggie-day-camp/requirements.shtml

Love4himies
December 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Here in Kingston Petcetera adopts out on behalf of Gananoque Humane Society. Petsmart, PetValue and Global Pet Foods adopts out on behalf of Kingston Humane Society. In fact, I don't know of any pet store here in Kingston that sells cats and dogs, maybe it is because I don't frequent them :shrug:.

scuba0095
December 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
hey thats so cool im in kingston also! :)

I live very close to pet cetera

the pet shops that sell puppy/kitty mill animals here in kingston are the mall pet shops and pet paradise which i NEVER go to ever anymore :(

scuba0095
December 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Melinda i know how heartbreaking it is to see others have your animal kicked out of training classes just because hes so big & scary looking to them

I use to go to luv a k9 train my big black german shepherd he was a very very sweet dog, sometimes he liked to bark just like the small yapppy dogs but his bark was earth shattering cause he was so big! about 90 pounds and no fat!

he was doing so amazing in class he passed every test went through every class and was well on his way to getting a CGC

well may people in that class did not like him because he had a dominate nature and didnt take no crap from other dogs, a lot of small dogs tried to get all in his face (wHEN THEY SHOULDNT BE AROUND MY DOG IN THE FIRST PLACE) and that would piss him off so he would get loud, this scared the small dog owners and they banned together and told the kennel club that they didnt feel their dog was safe with my dog

my dog was black pure black very big sweetteast dog ever he just sometimes barked at dogs and he didnt EVER ONCE bite a dog or anything for that matter! He lived with 2 cats as well

But they felt intimidaged and thought my dog would get off leash one day and eat their dogs for supper so THey banned together and had me and my dog kicked after the hundreds and hundreds of dollars i spent on training :( I was pretty devistated and cried a lot because i wanted to put him into agility after he got his CGC but now that he was kicked out and other trainers seem to be full

I was so sad for so long my heart was just broken it feels like you have been treated so unfairly since dogs are kinda like your animals

IF MY DOG WAS agressive towards other dogs like if he actually attacked a dog i would totally understand him that he is a danger to the public and should not be in public training lessons but my dog NEVER ONCE hurt another dog and he was always looking for new friends to play with that is what hurt me so much, this same dog didnt dare mess with the house cats which are like a thousand times smaller then him lol HE was so sweet it was so tragic that this happened, i felt sooo insulted & upset

this was years and years ago even now i still think about it my heart breaks

scuba0095
December 6th, 2007, 04:25 PM
id like to add that large dog owners like rotties, dobermans, collies all LOVED my dog and thought he was the sweetest dog and they loved to let their dog touch noses with mine

EVERy complaint was from a small dog owner, dogs the size of cats

I am so full of resentment and sadness still when i think about it and its been sooo long