Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lining litter boxes

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Since I've had extra usage in the litter box in the upstairs bathroom, I've been having to clean it and renew the litter more often.

It's funny. When I first moved in, and just had Vlad and Oksana, I thought the litter box downstairs would be the one most used, but as it turns out its been the one upstairs. It's not because its bigger, since it was originally downstairs. And it can't be too much of a privacy issue because they've got no problem using it when I'm in the bathroom too and I can see them. Who knows, but anyway, not with Maks and Kiska, its getting more usage.

Cleaning that huge box is a chore, so I decided I needed to start using a liner. Unfortunately, the liners they make for litter boxes are made of thin plastic, and my little ones tear through that like tissue paper.

So I thought of another idea. I went to Home Depot and got some heavy duty plastic liner. I thought I'd try the heavy duty one and see if it worked, if not I could always use the extra heavy duty. Anyway, I digress. So a couple of weeks ago, I used the liner for the litter box and taped it down with duct tape. I had to cut it down a bit because it comes in a roll.

They did make a few holes in it, but it worked superbly! This morning I changed the litter and all I had to do is unwrap around the box and throw the whole thing in a big garbage bag. There were a few bits of litter from holes they were able to make, but there were no holes on the bottom and it withstood all four of them.

All I did was wipe it with some vinegar and water solution and that's it, no scrubbing!

It's not pretty, but it works! I was going to post a picture, but my camera is being a pain.

krdahmer
December 4th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'd love to try that! I was leery though because of using a metal scoop, and that my guys like to chew plastic, although I would think they wouldn't want to chew where they poop. My big troughs are so hard to clean out completely... and that wheat litter really turns to cement if you miss a bit on the bottom (which is why I got the metal scoop... I broke 3 of the regular plastic cheapies trying to dislodge those bricks!).

So you get this stuff at the depot, what do you ask for? It can't hurt to try it... might make it easier on my poor garbage man too. I put out about 3, 50lb bags, every 2 months, we have to use multiple bags too cause its so heavy. I just can't wait until we can composte it... I feel like such a poluter!

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I know what you mean about the cement. I use the Swheat Scoop and this is one of the reasons I tried this. I use a plastic scooper and since its lined on the bottom, I don't have to work so hard at dislodging all the stuff, because I can simply throw the liner away.

I think i got mine where the paint section is, where the tarps are. What I tried was the heavy duty, and it comes in s smallish roll. I figured I'd try this and see how it worked, but I could always go up to the extra heavy duty.

So far the heavy duty is working. Yes, they have put a few scratches in it, but that's okay because its just around the side, where they try to clean their paws off.

I'm really pleased with it, because when I cleaned it this weekend, all I did was lift it out, and no scraping of anything. Just had to get some loose litter that had fallen through the little holes they made from the sides with their nails.

I'd give it a try. The lining only cost me about $10 and I had the duct tape. Like I said, it doesn't look pretty, but it works.

Winston
December 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
:sorry::offtopic: BUt Ancientgirl did you see my post about Kiska?

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM
No I didn't. I'm going to look now!