Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Second cat.

Klurik
December 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
My wife and I were considering getting another cat. The one we have now is about 6 months old and female. We were wondering if it would be better to get a male or female. I would like a male but am concered about spraying.
Thoughts/ advice?

CearaQC
December 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
Spraying shouldn't be an issue if a male is neutered.

One of the cats my family had when I was a girl was neutered after he developed the spraying action. He still tried and would back up to objects and shake his tail but nothing would happen. :laughing: I guess he just liked going through the motions, but there was no spray.

But cats are notorious for howling if they're not fixed, at least in my experience. We would hear the most awful sounds in the middle of the night from the intact cats.

krdahmer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Ya if you adopt one already neutered you shouldn't have a problem.

And that story is too funny... my Buddy goes through the motions too, shakin his tail at me all the time (thank dog nothin comes out!!!:rolleyes:)! I think it's sweet... tryin to make sure everyone knows I belong to him! :lovestruck:

14+kitties
December 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Just ONE more cat????? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Your other kitty is still young. Shouldn't matter much which gender you get. Mine learn to accept new ones as they come.

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
I agree. Spraying isn't an issue with neutered males and your kitten is young enough to accept either gender. I just hope she is spayed already and we'd love to see pics. :)

BPR
December 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
After reading this post, I'm curious....if gender doesn't matter if the original kitty is still a kitten - what if the original cat is an adult?

-Barbara :pawprint:

14+kitties
December 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
After reading this post, I'm curious....if gender doesn't matter if the original kitty is still a kitten - what if the original cat is an adult?

:laughing::laughing: Good question. I don't think it matters at any time. It's just that when they are young they are more accepting of another animal(s) coming into their territory. The older they get the more set in their ways they are, kinda like people. :)

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
I've always had two or more cats but they were never more than 6 months old when I got them. I honestly don't think it matters what gender at any time though. It just mainly depends on their personalities. :cat:

Frenchy
December 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM

When I adopted Monsieur le chat , he was about 3 years old , got used to all the big dogs here pretty fast. A year after , I adopted Paddy , one yr old male , neutered of course. Took about a week for the cats to like eachothers , you have to do the introduction very slowly , Paddy was free to roam the house 30 minutes to an hour each day for about a week.

Klurik , if you adopt from a rescue , they will be able to tell you wich cat is good with other cats. That makes it easier. :D

Love4himies
December 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
If you are concerned about spraying talk to the shelter staff and find out which neutered males do not spray in their cages and take it from there. General rule is if they don't spray in their cages, they won't spray in their homes.

I have found male cats are more sociable in the house than females so a male would be a good addition to your lonely female kitty.

As for age, depends more on personality than age if a cat is sociable. Once again, shelter staff would be able to help you with that. An adult cat has his personality already formed, with a kitten, you are never sure what you are getting.

Good luck with your search.

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
I brought Vlad home first. When he was about 3 months old, I brought home Oksana, she was 2 months old, and man did he ever give her grief! It took me a long time before I could leave them alone together because he would always attack her.

I got them spayed and neutered at the same time, Vlad at about 5 months and Oksana 4. Of course, I've never had an issue with Vlad and spraying.

They are now 10 and 9 months old, and I recently brought home a brother and sister, close to 4 months old, and it took them no time to accept the new ones.

If you adopt from a shelter you'll most likely get an already neutered or spayed cat. I've always liked to have one of each, boy and girl.

growler~GateKeeper
December 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Just want to mention that it is also possible for female cats to spray even after being spayed - My grrl :cat: Duffy is a sprayer but has only ever done it outside never inside & never on people.

I agree that talking to the shelter staff will be the best way to determine which cat is good with others & the slow introductions are best....a tip for introduction/acceptance put a small amount of baby powder in your hands & stroke it on each of them so they smell the same that way the older one doesn't smell the shelter or vet smell on the new one & get upset

Longblades
December 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Yep, we have a female sprayer too. She ruined a new set of luggage when she got inside the large pieces and sprayed but that was shortly after coming to us as an adult stray. We didn't get her fixed right away as the Vet thought she was pregnant. Now she is spayed and all she does is the backed up shaky tail thing with no result.

I've read many places that you are more likely to have success in introducing a new animal of the same species if you mix genders. But I think individual personalities play a big role too. Have to say though, we have three female cats and two of them beat the heck out of the other one, who came first. We have to keep them separated.

vfrohloff
December 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I've never had a female sprayer but I've had male sprayers. I have had mostly female cats in the past and find that females tend to get along a bit better with other females. Not sure why that is, and that's just the experience I've had; I'm sure others have had other experiences. I have 2 strays up for adoption and would be more than willing to drive to Kingston. One is a female and one is a male. Both are fixed, dewormed, and have their shots. Are you looking to adopt an older cat or a kitten?

Love4himies
December 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Sorry didn't notice that you are in kingston. Just to let you know that Gan Humane Society does adopt out of Petcetera and they offer a better deal than the KHS. It is $125 for alter/shots/dewormed/microchipped AND Tattoo. If you do go there and see "Ben" he was one of my fosters and is an absolute dream boy, he grew up with 6 siblings, his momma, and my two cats (not that I am biased). He was an orphan at two days old, and my foster momma (now my cat, Sweet Pea) took him and his brother on as her own. He was altered at 4 months of age and he never sprayed, so chances are he won't in your house either. They are an absolute no kill shelter unless the cat is suffering and won't live, and many cats need homes.

Kristin7
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Both male and female cats can spray, even if 'fixed'. I have known several males that spray and am afraid to have a male cat as a result. However, I also know quite a few male cats that don't spray (all the cats mentioned are spayed/neutered). I also have a friend w/ a female cat that sprays, however, she is the only one I have known personally. One of my females does the fake spraying by shaking her tail at things. She does it a lot but has never actually sprayed, thankfully.

My experience w/ which ones get along are that two neutered males get along great. I have two females who hate each other but both have gotten along well with male cats. So in my experience, females don't get along, but really it is probably more on an individual cat to cat basis, judging by the replies. Incidently, when I adopted my second female, I mistakenly thought she would get along with my resident female because she was in a cage with another cat at the shelter. The other cat was a male... I do think it helps if the two cats are similar in personality and activity level, which sometimes is affected by age.