Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declawing cats

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Ok!! It is adopt a kitten month here in arizona,actually the humane society is doing two kittens for the price of one,what a coincedence..Must be a sign i guess,my question is all my furniture is new,and needs to last forever as i do not have the funds to get new furniture,is decalwing really cruel????

Luba
June 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yes Heidi it is very cruel

If you are concerned about that then adopt a cat from a shelter that was already declawed and needs a home anyway

It's horrible for them from what I hear, others can tell you more on it.

Here are some classifieds in your area for cats needing homes

710500- Cat:shorthair tri-color
Chandler,AZ 480-755-8154 W Hazard aztecpizza42@yahoo.com 05-31-2004
Name: Gigi
Sex:F
Size:L
Delete Gigi is a stray who turned up on my patio and would not leave!! She had no collar and was very thin. I have since had her spayed and fattened her up and socialized her. I cant keep her because I already have 2 other cats and cant afford a third. She is really sweet and smart and lively! TONS of personality! She is great with other cats. I have not seen her with kids or dogs. She loves attention and affection and just wants to be somebodys special friend. I have kept her indoors, and she is quite content to stay indoors! Please give this calico cutie a permanent home! $20.00

710018- Cat:yellow tabby
Phoenix,AZ 602-298-2853 Kelly Hayes mlajavp@cox.net 05-31-2004
Name: Symba
Sex:M
Size:M
Delete Im a loving indoor cat that likes to be cuddled and will sit on your lap. I need a good home to call my own. I come with everything you need, litter box, toys and food. My owner is wheelchair bound and cant care for me any longer.

709802- Kitten:Long Hair
Phoenix,AZ 602-421-5154 Lisa Lopez lopezet@worldnet.att.net 05-30-2004
Name: Adorable & Lovable x 4
Size:M
Delete Four kittens looking for loving homes. Two male long-hair grey w/ tabby stripes, one long-hair black female, and one short-hair tiger male. Weaned and litter box trained. Fee to be negotiated.

708551- Cat:LONG HAIRED
PHOENIX,AZ 602-487-1376 MEAGAN LIV2BITEU@HOTMAIL.COM 05-27-2004
Name: WILUM
Size:L
Delete WIL IS BLACK WITH 2 WHITE SPOTS ON HIS HIND TOES. HE IS FIXED AND HAS HAD HIS SHOTS. HE GETS ALONG GREAT WITH OTHER CATS. HE COMES WHEN HES CALLED. HES LIKE THE SON TO MY OTHER CAT. IVE HAD HIM SINCE HE WAS ABOUT 3 WEEKS OLD. SO HE THINKS HES A CHILD. MY SON IS HAVING REACTIONS TO MY CATS, SO I NEED TO FIND THEM GOOD HOMES. TOGETHER IF I CAN

708412- Kitten:Mixed
Surprise,AZ n/a Cat purplepanda@centralpets.com 05-26-2004
Name: Erin & Bevin
Sex:F
Size:S
Delete Erin is a True Calico, Bevin a Diluted Calico. These Two girls and their Siblings came from a trailer park over run with cats. Their Mom has been spayed and it is time for these girls to get a good home of their own. They must be adopted together and there is a small adoption fee for their protection. Adoptive family must agree to have them spayed! Both girls are very sweet and good with other cats.. should be fine with careful children. Once they are a bit bigger and properly introduced i believe they would do well with dogs. Bevin is more of a cuddler where Erin loves to explore things. Please e-mail for more into and pictures.

sammiec
June 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. My personal opinion is - would you like to have your fingernails ripped out??! My cat still has his claws - he has a sracthing board and a pole that I sprinkle cat nip on. I recently bought a new couch and was having trouble getting him to leave it alone. I just put nice throws on the side thats accessible. And if I do catch him he gets sprayed with water - they're not stupid animals, thats for sure... :p

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
I kind of thought the same thing,no i would not like my nails ripped out that's for sure.Luba i will e-mail those one of them sounds perfect.thanks..

cutelittlemako
June 2nd, 2004, 12:21 PM
I'm sure everyone on this site will say that it is... But I have declawed my cat in all four paws and I find it wonderful. I do think that it's sad that a cat has to be altered in this way...but before I got Mackenzy I just thought that since I am rescuing a cat, he's probably better in my home safe, without claws than in the streets with claws. We did not have any other animals at the time and I did not want to let him outside (There were posters all over the shelters about the benefits of an inside only cat and the negative aspects of having outside cats). Mackenzy is very outgoing and even without his claws he still dominates the dogs in his life :). However I have been warned that some cats will start using their teeth to compensate for the lack of claws. Mackenzy hasn't done this so... I couldn't help with that. He still acts like he's sharpening his claws on stereo speakers and the backs of chairs, it's pretty cute. When he was young though, he used his scratching post alot, so you might not have a problem with the claws if your cats use a scratching post. I have a leather sofa, and Mackenzy scratched it a bit at first. I would not let him near it when he had claws, but now that he's declawed he can go on it all he wants!
Either way, you can't do it until he's about 6 months (when they get spayed/neutered) so you can have a pretty good idea before having to do it.
Good Luck!

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
My moms cats when i was growing up were also declawed,i would prefer to find one that is already de clawed,nut we will see...

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM
I have/had 2 cats declawed..Sorry,but not all 4...Only the 2 front paws.My Mousie was with us for 13 years.And an indoor cat.There were no effects of the surgery what so ever.And he was not a biter.Phoenix is also declawed and is almost 3.Once again,not a biter,also an indoor cat.Casper who is 9 months old is not declawed.Never had to,never will.He never scratched on anything except his post.And the same with Winnie.They are indoor cats.

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 01:01 PM
I guess with some good medication [pain] it shouldnt be to bad..............

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Just curious all alot of people here seem to have alot of pets,how do you do it if you work?????????????????/

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
I have very strong feelings about declawing and am totally against it.

Here are the facts:
Truth about "Declawing" (http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm)

Heidiho, you can probably find a cat who is already declawed in shelters or rescues, if you want to wait. We always get declawed cats, because people continue to let them out!

I can't imagine why anyone would have a cat declawed on the hind paws. :confused:

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
heidiho,I wouldn't worry about declawing....As long as you have a few scratching posts and toys to keep the kitty busy,then you should be ok.... :D

I didn't get mine done just for the heck of it.....I had a terrible time with them,and declawing was the last draw..Or my father was kicking them out.Mousie was with us first.Then when I lost him... :( ,I got Phoenix...

My daughter comes home for lunch.She lets the dogs out in the back,eats,then takes them for a quick walk.Then feeds Casper and Winnie.They still get fed 3xs a day.Casper is 9 months and Winnie is 12 weeks.

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Heido I work and I have pets, I leave the house at 9:00 in the morning and than I go home at 12:00 and stay for an hour than I go back to work and than I am off at 4:30. My husband works second shift so he is there through the day but depending on his shift the past night he might sleep till 10 or 11 but like I said I just run home on lunch. Right now we are dog sitting for Justin's parent's so that has been a big change. They have a GSD his name is Silver he is 6 or 7 years old and it is alot more work than having a cat. You have to take him out and for walks in the park. Were a cat is there and they do not have to go outside. But, it has been fun having him around differant but fun. I can see now how they all were saying it is better if you can have someone take him out and for a walk at lunch or some time in there. I did not go home one day for lunch so he did not get walked until I got home and he went crazy. I was like I have been home all day I NEED attention NOW. He was so happy to see me. That is why I said it is easier to have a cat and work all day than to have a dog. :D

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
I am not sure how I feel about it mine is not dewclawed. If you do get them just do the front paws. I have never seen a cat stand on his front paws and scratch the couch with his back. Just my opinion! I have not studied a whole lot on this topic becuase I have not ever had it done. Buy them a scratching post and toys and they should be fine. If not spray them with a water gun or water bottle until they realize they can not do this! :p

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM
I am gonna wait and get a cat that is already de clawed,still in mourning but i know i am gonna have to get a pet i just love them so much.....Wont be the same, but at least i can go see damien when i want til he gets adopted.

cutelittlemako
June 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
The problem with my cat (and why we got him declawed in all four paws) is that the used his back claws to stabilize him before jumping off the couch. He never used his front paws on my furniture but he was doing an awful job on my leather sofa. I got the couch before the cat, so there was not much I could do. It was either give the cat back to the shelter or do his 4 paws. I would not have minded only doing his back paws either, but the vet said that if I was going to do his hind legs, I might as well do his front too. But otherwise I would not recomend doing the hind legs for nothing.
Sorry if people think i'm stupid for doing this, but I figured that he'd be better off without all his claws than in the shelter again.

Princesss04
June 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
No you are not dumb, that is resonable I was talking about just doing them to do them. I mean if you have a cat that is using his back paws like that than if you decide to than that is fine. But, I have just never seen a cat do that ( I mean tear up things with the back claws). I do not think you are dumb or that you got your cat declawed was dumb. :D

cutelittlemako
June 2nd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I've never seen cats actually use their hind claws either, but I guess a leather couch is slippery for a kitten and it secured him so he didn't slip off it when he jumped off. Anyways, Mackenzy is a well ajusted cat and I would not hesitate to get it done on other cats I would get if the need would arise!

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
I am sorry to all you pro-declawing people,if you feel you need to mutilate a cat,don't get one!There are other pets who do not destroy anything...it is actually not only the claws that are taken out,but part of the bone in his/her toe,in my opinion a very cruel way to treat a cat and someone mentioned all four paws,that is just horrific.
Some people have gone ahead and done it,without really knowing what it entails,only to later regret the pain they put their cats through.
I have 3 cats with claws and in my opinion very nice furniture,cats are not complete dummies,they are trainable..
Also I have all leather-sofas,the reason being that cats do NOT scratch leather,at least not to condition their claws,sure we have some scratches from them hopping around on it playing,but we have 3 cats,comes with the territory..So,in answer to your question Heidi,yes it's cruel,just the thought of it,makes my blood boil :eek:

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Are the cats not completley sedated when it is done?????

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 04:21 PM
Heidi,yes they are,but it does not make it any less painful afterwards.
Look at the web-site Lucky provided and you'll see what it is all about.
I did not see it,cannot handle that sort of stuff,but I know very well what it is all about.
Why don't you get an animal you can keep in a cage when you go to work?
A guinea-pig is actually really cute and sociable.

Goldenmom
June 2nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Of course they are Heidi! I have had all my cats done and when brought home, no pain. They were running around, jumping off the furniture etc. Every vet does things different. My vet is known around town to be the best when it comes to this. Would I do it again? Probably not, but this issue is no different than the Abortion issue. Some feel very strongly one way or the other.

Heather

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 04:38 PM
Goldenmom,I am actually not thinking so much about how I feel about it,more about how my cats would feel :D
I have a friend in Florida who rescued a beautiful Calico,they figure she is about 12yrs old,she is crippled with arthritis,in constant pain from her long-ago declawed frontpaws. I am not saying that happens to all declawed cats,but it's just one example of what can happen.

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Have no interest in a g pig,i am a dog or cat person,if i eventually do get one ,i will most likely get an older one that has already had it done....

Goldenmom
June 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Goldenmom,I am actually not thinking so much about how I feel about it,more about how my cats would feel :D

I never said a thing about how anybody feels, cat or human. I said it is a matter of opinion and people feel strongly either for or against. Again, it is a choice, just like any other controversy out there. Thats why these forums are used, to get different opionions from all types of people.

There will always be "i knew a dog once...., I knew a cat once...." Thats a given. Some stories turn out for the better, some not.

Heidi, I would choose an older cat that already had it done, if you are worried about your furniture. Some can and do destroy furniture, curtains etc....
My one cat climbs up my shower curtain, even without the front claws!

Heather

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Yeah it will be an older cat that has had it done. i do prefer them de clawed,my parents cats always seemed fine and they were declawed,if i have to have it done i will just make sure he or she has sone good painkillers.. :p :p

Goldenmom
June 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
I'm not going to get into a huge debate about this.

None of my cats ever needed pain killers. They were perfectly fine when they came home. You wouldn't have even known it was done. No blood, no stitches, no nothing.

It is the same with being spayed or neutered. It all sounds bad, but you can't believe how quickly these animals bounce back. I was more in pain than them!

Heather

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
okee!!dokee!! I dont want a huge debate on this either had enough of those..

Goldenmom
June 2nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
okee!!dokee!! I dont want a huge debate on this either had enough of those..

LOL You got that right!

Let us know how things go with you.

Heather

heidiho
June 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Oh i will,this board is almost like an addiction,like i need another[just kidding]

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
but this issue is no different than the Abortion issue.

Not quite. A woman may choose to have an abortion or not. I know of no cats who would opt for this surgery if given a choice. :rolleyes:

cutelittlemako
June 2nd, 2004, 06:06 PM
I think she meant debate wise, it's like the abortion issue. And still, the baby doesn't choose what happens to it. I think it could be compared to circumcision, baby doesn't have a choice, can't word his opinion.

Goldenmom
June 2nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
I think she meant debate wise, it's like the abortion issue. And still, the baby doesn't choose what happens to it. I think it could be compared to circumcision, baby doesn't have a choice, can't word his opinion.

Thank You!!! You knew exactly what I meant!!

There are many, many debates that could go on forever because so many people feel so strongly about them. I am not one to push my beliefs on anybody else. I say my opinion and thats it, take it or leave it. Everybody in this world does things differently, not that one way is better or right than the next.

Heather

cutelittlemako
June 2nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I think the idea here was for people with experience to give pros and cons about declawing - and not to have an argument about what is right or wrong in the minds of certain people.

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 09:33 PM
I have to say though Heidi,you know how to pick contriversal subjects :D :D

cutelittlemako
June 3rd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I thought that too, it seems all her posts always end up with more that one page.

Catt31
June 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
None of my cats have EVER been declawed. I made them a scratching house when they were all kittens, and that is what they use and that is the only thing they use EVER! They don't even give my brand new couch a second glance! If you get a kitten and train it to use the post they will learn that that is where they scratch - end of story! I watched a cat go through the aftermath of declawing and it was the most horrible thing ever. I felt so badly for poor Baby that it broke my heart. She eventually healed after a longgggg process but was never quite the same - walked rather funny as if they still hurt. We often thought something went wrong in the surgery process.

Anyways, IMHO, I would never declaw my cats but I understand that some people feel they need to...and that is their choice! Good luck heidi!!

heidiho
June 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
And that is my fault i dont think so,it is a question board,and if certain people get mad that is not my problem,not everyone will see eye to eye,no need to get nasty about it though..................

Goldenmom
June 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
And that is my fault i dont think so,it is a question board,and if certain people get mad that is not my problem,not everyone will see eye to eye,no need to get nasty about it though..................

Heidi, Easy.....
I don't see anyone getting nasty about it. I think they were LOL about it, nothing more.

Heather

chico2
June 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Heidi,you are so quick to say people get nasty,I certainly did not think I was nasty,just stated an obvious fact :D :D You do know how to pick them :D

heidiho
June 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
I know,i dont know why the spark so much controversy.... :p :p :p

mona_b
June 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
See,I think heidiho loves us......... :p

She still comes back to us...... :D :D

heidiho
June 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Iknow,tha :D :D :D t is so funny i was just thinking that,i am totally addicted..............

MBRA518
June 3rd, 2004, 09:32 PM
I'm not going to get into a huge debate about this.

None of my cats ever needed pain killers. They were perfectly fine when they came home. You wouldn't have even known it was done. No blood, no stitches, no nothing.

It is the same with being spayed or neutered. It all sounds bad, but you can't believe how quickly these animals bounce back. I was more in pain than them!

Heather

Actually I would think that the spay hurts more.

I had my cat done too... I'm of the mind that I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to... but my cat just wouldn't stop clawing the furniture... she had scratching posts and claws cliped and citrus sparys... etc, etc, etc We tried everything to no avail... she distroyed on couch - we had to throw it out. So she had her fronts done when she was spayed... no extra surgery and she recovered very quick. Also because i live in a populated arem she is strictly a indoor, and now occasional back yard, kitty, I wouldn't do it a cat that goes out JMO.

I'm so glad my cat is done... we recently bought new furniture and peanut "pretends" to sharpen her claws on it :eek: every time I see her do that I think... That's why you are declawed! :rolleyes:

Since most people do a declaw with a spay or neuter (which everyone here agrees with for obvious reasons) I don't think that the declaw is much of a concern then.. the spay would hurt more and they are on lots of pain killers for that anyway.

Oh yah... forgot to mention my cat was a shelter kitty and was 6 months old when we got her... her scratching issue may have been what landed her there in the first place :( I would much rather see a cat declawed than dumped. I agree most cats can be trained - maybe we just didn't get to her soon enough, as we had never had that problem with other cats.

chico2
June 3rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
I am sorry,but there is no way.....comparing spaying/neutering to declawing,you have to be kidding :eek:
I would suggest to anyone thinking of mutilating a cat,to get an aquarium and the furniture will be safe.Would you consider denailing your dog to save your floors? Exactly the same thing! Nite all!!!

MBRA518
June 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
I am sorry,but there is no way.....comparing spaying/neutering to declawing,you have to be kidding :eek:

Why is that crazy??? When a woman gets a historectomy (sp?) she is off her feet for a while with pain and recovery time... however I've known people who had ingrown toe nails removed - yes the entire nail removed - and they walked out of the day clinic. I'd imagine a spay hurts more.

I agree that spay and neuter is a good thing and better in the long run for the animal usually... but it has to hurt! I mean it's a cruel to be kind thing isn't it?

MBRA518
June 3rd, 2004, 10:13 PM
Would you consider denailing your dog to save your floors? Exactly the same thing! Nite all!!!

Probably not... but mine has her trail docked (rottie)... thats a frequent occurance and that's just for fashion usually.

glasslass
June 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
The only time my Puss-Puss scratches on anything (usually my leg! :eek: ) is when her claws are starting to get too long and prone to snagging things. She isn't particularly fond of having her claws clipped, but she knows when it needs to be done. It's easy and only takes a moment. I've never hurt her and she trusts me. I started doing it when she was young. I don't clip much - I just make the cut right where the claw thins and starts to hook. I only do the front claws and dew-claw. If you gently press the knuckle, the claw sticks right out and is easy to see and clip. Understand, I used to be allergic to cats and avoided them until Puss showed up during a thunderstorm almost 15 years ago. I discovered she wasn't bothering my allergy! She's our first cat and I didn't know cats usually fight when you clip their claws or bathe them. I just did it and she accepted it.

chico2
June 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM
MBRA.Declawing actually involves more than removing an ingrown toe-nail does,if you watch Luckys video-clip,you will learn more.Part of the bone in each toe is chopped off,I would think that is not done because of an ingrown toe-nail.
My own vet would never suggest declawing to anyone,but if you insist,she will recommend a vet willing to do it.
As far as docking tails,or fixing ears,I probably would not do that either.I am not a fan of designer animals:-)
I think this subject is over-done,I've had my say,I just do not want anyone telling an unsuspecting new cat-owner,that de-clawing is painless and neccessary to keep your furniture in tact.
If you start clipping your cats nails early,have scratchposts and train your cat
mutilation is not needed.
Also you make a choice when you get an animal,be it a dog or a cat,some things will be damaged,but"things"are just that,"things" and are replaceable.
Like I said before,if you want a picture perfect house/apartment,get an aqarium,turtle or something that does no damage :D

Feral_cats
June 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
my cats are front declawed because of my dogs , i had to get them declawed . it was a choice between having they scratch my dogs faces or having to be euthanized(since they have only and will only come around to me)or living and getting declawed . since my cats are feral they dont like dogs and they are 100% indoors , but my opinion on yer kittens would be if you really want to get them declawed and they have not been spayed or neuterd yet then when they go to get fixed have it done because they will not b up to doing kitten stuff for a bit after they are fixed , i also sudgest putting them in say a 4 foot rabbit cage for the 12 days so that they have no choice but to rest . but declawing is painful for them for a few days

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM
You dragged up a 2 year old post..
And the majority of us are anti declaw.
Painful for a few does does not cut it for all cats. And can lead to a lifetime of behavioural problems.

Feral_cats
June 5th, 2006, 09:42 PM
sorry i didnt read the year i just saw june 4th and figured it was this year i saw some one else reading it in the members thing.once agian my apoligies for bringing it up

Avalon
June 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Feral cats, easy to see how this error was made. Same date, different year.
As mentioned this topic is very sensitive to many members.
This thread long has run its course and will be closed.