Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PPP - pepper's pee problems-

r&pmullin
December 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
hello,

my dog' pepper is 15. He's a little beijon. I tried to attach his picture although i am not sure if it worked. I love him so much but lately he's really been stressing me out...
He has been peeing in the house for awhile now. This is not an every day occurence but every once in awhile. I just always kind of wrote off as a "couldn't wait" kind of thing till recently b/c lately it seems a little worse. Maybe it is occuring a little more often (but still not everyday) but it's worse b/c now he's doing it on my bed and carpet surrounding my bed! And this is right after i have taken him out 2-3 times! basically, I will let him outside and he'll run back and forth and sniff for a long while usually and then he'll come back to the door. It makes me nervous when he doesn't go to the bathroom but he wants to come back in. But i let him in since he won't go back out in the yard to do his business. So he comes back in and then in about 5-10 mins he'll want to go back out and I let him out again since i am nervous about him going inside the house/my room/bed. Sometimes i have to do this 3 times..or sometimes, like tonight, he will go out and then come in and pee inside! I mean i just spent 3 hours washing sheets, pillows and the rug. on top of this cycle that he's been putting me through I really cannot take the smell and the smell of the cleaning products...
I've really been trying to figure out the source of this behavior...
a few months ago my mom wanted me and my dog to move into the apt downstairs as she said pep ruined all the carpets upstairs, which he really did. Although sometimes he did have attempts to go upstairs at first he seemed okay being down here. but now i am wondering if he's upset especially b/c more and more he's trying to go upstairs. Also, i am thinking that maybe this could be an age thing and just something i need to get used to...
basically after reading some other posts i am wondering if it's intentional or unintentional...
i have also been trying to figure out how to resolve this...
I do walk the guy too but maybe i need to increase this more although i have to admit this is not easy
I have also considered maybe getting him a diaper...
(he did have a physical not too long ago and they said he was okay -i didn't mention this specific problem b/c it hadn't happened in awhile but do you think this is something they would check automatically or would i need to specify this w/ a physical?)

If anyone has any advice about any of this I would really appreciate it.
thank you
-stesssed and frustrated

Frenchy
December 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM
First thing you have to do is to get him to your vet for a check up. Could be an infection. It's the first step for you to take. Until you know what's going on with him , there's not much advice we can give you. :shrug: If it is an infection, it's easely treatable.

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
i didn't mention this specific problem b/c it hadn't happened in awhile but do you think this is something they would check automatically or would i need to specify this w/ a physical?)

It is not something that the vet would check for automatically. You need to take in a urine sample and have it cultured. You also need to have a geriatric blood panel done. At 15 yr. old your dog should be having this done every 6 months. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

r&pmullin
December 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
ok, thx guys!