Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Problem

Mom2two
December 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM
Amii will only go potty by the tree in our backyard. What do I do to get her to go elsewhere?

For instance, when she was going for training, it was a 30 min drive to the class, we were there for over an hour, and 30 mins back. There was plenty of opprtunities for her to go potty there, yet she refused. Moment we got out of the car she'd pull towards the backyard and go.

We're reluctant to take her out for the day because we're afraid she'll get sick if she holds it all day.

Odd thing is, there are still times when she has accidents in the house.

Why is it okay in her head to go inside if she can't get outside, but not go outside anywhere else?

I adore her, but she can be so frustrating at times. :wall:

TeriM
December 5th, 2007, 01:45 AM
That's actually not an uncommon problem. I would try just standing in one space and repeat "go pee" or whatever command you might use when letting her out to pee at home. I find that if I stop moving and stay stationary in one spot that they don't have as much stimulation and will usually eventually pee. Good luck.

rainbow
December 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM
She was trained to go potty in your backyard so that's where she thinks she is supposed to go. If you don't want her to go by the tree then take her out on leash to a different spot and tell her "go pee" or "go whiz" or whatever term you use. :o

I wish my dogs would only poop in one spot in our backyard. :laughing:

Longblades
December 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Well here is a wild guess for you. She is a girl so she is peeing on the ground beside the tree. What about digging up a piece of the pee soaked sod and moving it to another place in the yard? Maybe she will pee elsewhere if she smells her own scent on another spot?

I'm with Rainbow, I wish mine would restrict himself to soiling in only one place in the yard. He is only 8 weeks old and I am diligently carrying him way to the back of the yard, through the snow, the cold, today the freezing rain to pee and poop at the back and leave the yard closest to the house clean. Little monkey, the DH was out with the snow scoop and puppy followed him back to the house and peed and pooped right in front of the deck stairs. So there Mom, no need to go all that way you've been taking me. :)

SARAH
December 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I would also try the displaced pee bit. And I also would wish these two would pick one spot in the back yard!! :yell:

However, they are funny, Sheba won't poop on leash unless she really HAS to go, preferring to get home to go; whereas Dani poops before you've walked her 100 meters! Go figure.