Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bailey,another vent

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 08:47 AM
Well,well friday when I picked up Bailey,it was obvious the owners had stocked up on food for her,2 HUGE bags of Beneful:yell:a box of bags of"Beggin Strips":yell:
Normally I would be glad to see they are doing something for her,they also bought her a nice new collar and leash:thumbs upbut she is really getting overweight,junkfood is the last thing she needs:wall:
She used to be on Natural Balance before,not great,but better than Beneful..
End of vent:laughing:

Love4himies
December 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
Poor Bailey. Most people, me included before I joined this forum, put our trust in the pet food industry. It is very hard when the pet is not yours and you care for it and know the owners could be doing better for it. I guess it is the same as parents who are allowing their children to become overweight by feeding them junk food day in and day out.:sad:

CearaQC
December 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Poor Bailey.

Hope her human family does some research and learns how bad the commercial food really is for pets.

Even my sister in law swears by the Beneful since the package has pretty colors and it includes all those veggies, and their dog likes it. :shrug: Their dog is over 12 years old and going blind/deaf anyway. I can't see her lasting much longer eating that food. But they just won't listen to reason or even bother to learn more about natural foods.

I like grossing them out when giving Belle raw meaty bones and she crunches. :laughing:

BusterBoo
December 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Do you ever get a chance to feed Bailey? Maybe if you were to "supplement" her food with some good stuff, it would help a bit :shrug: You don't have to tell her owners, just feed her when you are with her. They probably wouldn't notice that she was eating less at home??

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Busterboo,I do:cool:I have a small bag of Orijen,a bag of Solid Gold Millenia(also not the best)and dried liver-treats.
My son also feeds his dogs(JRT and an old Sheltie)Beneful,the problem is,the pups love it.

BusterBoo
December 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well, if you can get some Orijen into Bailey (as long as there are no allergy issues) at least you know something good was going in!

want4rain
December 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
dont cooked eggs make farts stinky??? ;) then blame it on the food!!

-ash

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 04:40 PM
It's no problem getting Bailey to eat anything:laughing:unless she is not well,which has happened before.
Even if I were to feed her good stuff,she will still eat a bowlful of Beneful later.
I give her maybe 1/2 a cup of food as treats and when we walk she'll get a couple of livertreats.

Frenchy
December 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Thank dog you are walking her ! :2huggers: I don't like this food either , but I know some people who feed cheap food to their animals , but at least , they do give them lots of love,attention and exercise. Bailey need all those things :sad:

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I bought her a nice thick sweater/coat and she is now to round to fit in to it:yell:
Frenchy,no problem there,we love her,except when I leave,she gives me those sad Cocker eyes and gosh do I feel bad.:sad:
I am not saying they don't love her,especially the mother,they are just to darn busy,all the time..

Frenchy
December 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
I bought her a nice thick sweater/coat and she is now to round to fit in to it:yell:
Frenchy,no problem there,we love her

That's why I said thank dog you're walking her ! :thumbs up (and I know she gets spoiled by you and hubby :p) but that's is suppose to be her family's "job"!

For the sweater , can you cut it under and put velcro straps ? :laughing:

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
That's actually a great idea:lightbulb:will do:thumbs up:laughing:

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
Well,well friday when I picked up Bailey,it was obvious the owners had stocked up on food for her,2 HUGE bags of Beneful

Busterboo,I do:cool:I have a small bag of Orijen,a bag of Solid Gold Millenia(also not the best)and dried liver-treats.
My son also feeds his dogs(JRT and an old Sheltie)Beneful,the problem is,the pups love it.

The reason the dogs love Beneful is because it is loaded with SUGAR !!! :eek:

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 07:44 AM
My friend feeds her dogs Beneful. When I tell her I buy my cat's food at the pet store and don't buy store brand, she tells me she can't afford to spend that much money on food for her dogs.

Well, I'm not rich, and I'm struggling with money too, but I don't mind spending a few extra pennies to make sure my pets have good quality food. I have at times bought them fancy feast at the grocery store, but those times were when I'd run out of food and didn't have a chance to get to the petstore until the next day.

At least you're watching over Baily as much as you can.

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Purina has a great thing going with Beneful. :sad: Load it up with sugar to addict the dogs and put it in an eye catching bag to attract people that can't be bothered to read the ingredients. :rolleyes:

INGREDIENTS
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, salt, phosphoric acid, animal digest, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

chico2
December 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Yeah Rainbow I know:yell:I suggested to the owner about 3 yrs ago when I started walking Bailey to try her on better food,at the time she was on some garbage,forgot the name.
She then changed Bailey to Natural Balance,but I guess they got a good deal on Beneful,they have 2 really large bags:sad:
I have to:wall:Bailey is not my dog,Bailey is not my dog...