Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kasha has hip dysplasia

kasher+tazz
June 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Ok so kash has hip dysplasia at the age of 10 months. The x-rays have confirmed this and now i know exactly what to look for it is obvious - people on the park have even mentioned it to me.

Im so say for her she is such a little baby. I know there is lots that can be done for her its just where to start. Im trying tio read as much as i can but it all seems to just go over my head. Back at the vets tomorrow to start her treatment plan.

I have contacted the owners of the other puppies from the litter |(the ones i can) and knowone is experiencing any problems.

could this be caused by something i have done/fed/exscercise etc?

well i knew kash would not be easy when i got her but hey - i will do the best i possibly can for her!

Oh and the insurance company have said they wont pay out any money to do with this problem due to the fact that before she was insured the vet has on his notes that she has slack ligaments in those joints...woohooo and there i was preaching abouthow good insuracne was....

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Oh, I'm sorry to hear this! :( Don't blame yourself! It's probably genetic and the result of bad breeding.

What treatment is there, other than surgery?

chico2
June 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear about Kash,but she's in good hands :D
I was going to mention before how I feel about Pet-insurance,having at one time looked in to it for my 3 cats.
I found the premiums extremly high and with all the exclusions not worth the bother,the regular expenses every year for my cats,shots,fleaprotection,teeth-cleaning etc..is not covered.So,I'll take my chances and pay for any emergency that might happen in the future.

kasher+tazz
June 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I pay it because even though i feel im a responsible owner accidents can always happen. I dont earn enough that if one of them had a serious accident ( although im sure i could beg or borrow from somewhere) - i could fork out that kind of money...i think for me it is a option i have had to explore in case of emergancy! It came through kash allready - meaning i had to pay 70 for treatment instead of 250. I know they are out to make money but i just feel its good to have a safety net for accidents! :)

Anyway there are lots of treatments they can try but to be honest kash is pretty bad so surgery will probably be the way to go. they give things like aspirin etc for the pain and sometimes steroids but she is so young and to prevent severe arthritis in the future surgery is probably the way to go. She has problems with stairs at the moment - loses her back legs and falls on her tummy it isnt constantly bad she can run and play like a normal puppy but sometimes after a walk she will stand with one back leg off the floor like she is in pain and has a kind of bunny hop when she walks. If she has the surgery she should be relatively problem free in that area. I dont want to put her through anything unessecarily ( i really cant spell ) so i am armed with lots of paper to talk thorugh with my vet. Its amazing what they can do in animal medicine these days. just a bit worried about what she will have to go through and how to keep her calm! The vet says swimming is a very good exscersize for dogs with HD It builds there muscles up without strain on the joints ( she wont go in without me good job summer is coming!)

I will let you know what the vet says tomorrow!

Luba
June 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Ohhh sheesh that is totally crappy!! Poor baby! She's so young!

If I were you I'd start giving her supplements
Glucosamine, shark cartilidge and fish oil

She's so young, I can't get over that :(

kasher+tazz
June 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Well I knew i got her from pretty crappy people so i guess i knew i would be in for a ride but these people need to be warned as if kash has it then surely the mother could have it and if they are planning future litters surely she could be in real trouble!!!! ( not to mention the poor little babies like kash )

It must be genetic as she is so young and has progressed very quickly... :(

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
I agree that using steroids and aspirin is not the answer for a puppy like yours.

The surgery is usually pretty successful, and can result in a painfree and normal life. Kash's HD sounds severe, and I'm pretty sure surgery is the only answer for her.

Personally, I think the CareCredit card may be better than pet ins. as with the card, you only have to pay if your pet actually needs something, as opposed to the insurance, which you have to pay even if your pet is healthy all it's life!

these people need to be warned as if kash has it then surely the mother could have it and if they are planning future litters

Since these people are backyard breeding unsound and unhealth tested dogs, do you really think they give a damn? :mad:

mona_b
June 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Awwwww poor kash...... :(

As was already said,this is not your fault.

As for surgery,yes at this age kash will do fine.An old friend of mine has a GSD that had HD at around 3 years old.Both hips were replaced.She is doing great at the age of 7.... :D

But you may want to change Kash's diet.

Glucosamine, shark cartilidge and fish oil..This is what I had Cujo on when he had Rhumatiod Arthritis.

Something for you to read.
http://www.animal-resource-network.com/dog-hip-dysplasia.html