Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Cried Today

want4rain
November 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
i tossed the kids in the car today around 4pm to go to my moms house. we had dance lessons tonight so the kids had to find somewhere else to be for the night.

when we got on the main road to go to moms, a rather busy one at that... i noticed a few folks standing on the side of the road. i looked at the clock and yep, well past the time that kids should be getting off the bus... *shrugs* i kept going. a ways down traffic was creeping along in the other lane. it took me a moment to notice why. at first i had the rather cynical thought that it was another bunch of bicyclists who decided to use one of the busiest roads in the area that has NO passing zones for their jolly riding... that was until i noticed that it was runners... and they were carrying the Olympic Torch.

there are very few moments in my life where i truly felt awe. the moment my children were born, my first day as a wife... this ranked up there with those moments.

my eyes beheld one of the most potent, long lived symbols of human strength, endurance and spirit. my eyes. this fire has already seen multiple continents, sailed across the oceans of the world, been carried by thousands of hands in a ritual of perseverance, human will... all of my cynicism washed away. with tears of pride, respect and honor i explained to my child the majesty of what we witnessed.

maybe my thyroid is acting up again but its been over 7 hours and i am still *quite* moved by that. im not usually this emotional over things. :)

i will say i really lost it a few times while talking to Cailyn. its quite difficult to drive and cry at the same time. she asked me how people get to run the torch and i told her i thought it was by merit. she said she would like to be a great person some day so she could run the torch, "and mom, if i ran the torch, would you run with me??"

-ashley

LavenderRott
December 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
:grouphug:

I completely understand.

As a former member of the U.S. Air Force and a military wife - I find that I am moved by more patriotic things. Flags flying at half mast, certain songs, watching the Blue Angels fly, things like that. I can't tell you how many times, when my husband was in Iraq, a song would come on the radio and I would have to pull over the car.

It is nice to know, in this big, hectic world, that there are still some things that seem so simple - like a torch, or a song - that can touch you to the soul.

CearaQC
December 1st, 2007, 12:20 AM
Lovely story!

I know the feeling though... being all calm one moment and bawling the next just from seeing something simple. I could never, ever be a public speaker and talk about certain topics, or only talk about technical stuff like computers that have no emotion. Otherwise I'd never get any words out and be bawling the whole time. lol

Fire is a very ancient thing, for it brought heat and light to darkness, removed fear, and instilled hope. Carrying a single flame by hand over several continents unifies all humans. And for the flame, no boundaries or fences exist. It's very symbolic.

:grouphug:

Olympic opening ceremonies get me every single time. I dunno why. Hubby thinks I'm nuts sometimes. Not the march of nations, but just the big theatrical performance. :shrug: I can't wait to see what they do for 2012 in London. That will be quite a show!

Remember when Mohammed Ali shot the bow/arrow to light the big flame?

Shaykeija
December 2nd, 2007, 12:53 AM
What makes my cry? The missing man formation of the planes. The one where the plane breaks off from the rest. Makes me :cry: every time I see it. I don't know why :shrug:

want4rain
December 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
i not much of a crier. never have been except a few of those hormonal teenage years. :)

when i saw that flame the other day.... there was no stopping it. i was driving for pirates sake! the last thing i needed was an obstruction of my view! :) one of those amazing moments i guess. its been a few days and i still feel moved by that.

-ash

TeriM
December 5th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Sounds like a great experience. Vancouver (where I live) is home to the 2010 Olympics and I am very excited. I am slated to volunteer at the Cross country skiing/Biathalon venues and the next few years leading up and the Olympics should be a great experience. It is interesting to hear the differing opinions in the city, of course many people feel the money is better spent elsewhere. For me it is one of the few things that serves to bring the world together in a positive way :thumbs up.

Plus it is one of the only times that BC gets money easily from Ottawa :D.

dmc123
December 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
very nice story - I can cry at the drop of the hat over stuff like that....

Diane

Love4himies
December 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I agree TeriM, the olympics is a world uniting experience that allows us to leave our differences aside and enjoy the games.