Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unwanted cat?

Okami
November 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Hello,
I've got quite a problem on my hands and I'm not sure what to do!
Just 2 weeks ago I started seeing a calico cat with no collar around my house, he's often been in my garage prowling for mice(my garage is a popular place for all neighborhood cats). A few nights ago he turned up at my back door mewing, so I gave him some fresh tuna and water. It was freezing outside so I locked up my cat Kai and invited him in. Ever since he's been showing up at my back door each night at the same time.

Now here's the problem, I don't know if he's owned by someone or not, he looks very healthy, shiney coat and all and he's a bit chubby too. But now I find him in our garage from 12-7 am in the morning, and at my back door at 8 everyday. It's freezing outside! and it's going to hit -25 this week and I don't want that poor thing running about outside, not to mention there's a large amount of coyotes right behind our yard. At the moment I've got him trapped in my bathroom downstairs with foor water and a bed.

I tried to put a collar with a little plastic tag attached saying (do I have a home?) but the cats not very friendly, he will claw and bite if you touch him too much. What should I do? I'd hate to take the little guy away from a family waiting for him at home, but I think again who would leave their cat out in -20 weather at 8pm?

luckypenny
November 30th, 2007, 12:28 PM
...but I think again who would leave their cat out in -20 weather at 8pm?

You'd be surprised how many people do :rolleyes: .

Perhaps if you post "found cat" posters in your area? There may also be a slight possibility that this cat has a microchip. You can take it in to any vet and ask them to scan him just in case. If you can't hang on to him, do you know of anyone who can, just for a week or so until his owner's contact you? If not, then a local cat rescue may be able to care for him in the meantime :shrug:.

NoahGrey
November 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thank you for taking her in. By the way you said that it is a Calico. That means he is a she. It is VERY VERY VERY rare to have a Calico male.

She could possibly be owned by someone. She could be a stray or is someone's outdoor cat.

The reason why she comes to your door everynight at the same time is becaue she know's you'll feed her.

I would contact your Humane Society and fill out a found report with them. If she is missing, people will more then likely contact them first. They might not live in the area also

Also I would post a ad in your newspaper.

And I have to agree with the above post. You would not BELIEVE how many people see nothing wrong with dumping animals. It's disgusting.

ACO22

SARAH
November 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Poor little "Callie" (well, just thought it sounded nice for a calico miss :) ). I'd have taken her in as well, and checked with the local vets and rescue centers first of all, widening the search-circle if there is no response. And yes, she might be chipped.

If she's so unwilling to be touched, she might not be a regualr indoorsy cat, being well-fed could just mean she's so cute people have fed her, or she's a great mouse catcher!

But leaving her outside at -20? No way, even with that fur coat, she could get mighty frozen!:sad:

clm
November 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM
The cat may very well have a home, but cats are not above moving on to greener pastures if they aren't happy in their current home. A change like small children coming into their current home, divorce, marriage or even another animal can send an indoor/outdoor cat looking for new digs.

Cindy

kashtin's kin
December 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM
...you know what they say about cats finding people (and not the other way around!). I'm not assuming you'll be able to keep this cat, but I'm sure this calico kitty is VERY grateful for the food, shelter, care etc. you've given her so far :angel:. Here's hoping that you'll be able to keep her warm/fed/safe at least until she can find a more permanent home :fingerscr ??

Thanks for helping out this cat, and let us know how things go...

Okami
December 1st, 2007, 06:02 AM
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions! I took the little guy to the vet and it appears that he does have a microchip! However =( there's been a mix up with the information it seems!
So here's the story!
we took him to the vet and found the microchip ran it through the system got the phone number and contacted the owner. But when we phoned the owner they said their cat wasn't missing it was right there beside him. :confused: So we need to wait for the other owner to bring his cat to the vet to scan the chip to see if the information was swapped.

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 08:13 AM
Okami,lets hope the other owners go and have theirs checked and that "Callie"will be reunited with her owners:pray:
If I find a stray,Humane Society will come over and check for a microchip,no need to go to a vet,but I understand all HS are different:confused:

Longblades
December 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM
OR, those people you phoned see an opportunity to get rid of a cat they don't seem to take very good care of anyway. That happened to me once. I even took the distinctively marked cat to the owner's new home hoping to win over the wife and kids. They had a portrait of this distinctive cat up on their wall in plain view for me to see but claimed extreme surprise at the likeness to their own, missing, cat. I found another home for him.

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 04:47 PM
In the back of my mind I was thinking the same,people can be so devious,I hope I am wrong though:pray:

SARAH
December 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM
:cry: we were there last night, rescuing little Spoutnik. There wer so many unhappy, locked-up and extremely PRETTY cats ... how can people be so CRUEL to such sweet beings :yell: :yell:

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Ok Sarah,thats news to me,you got another kitty,I guess Lewis relented:laughing:

Okami
December 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
=( There's still no reply. The vet I took it too is extremely kind, she said she'd take the cat in until she gets any further news on the situation. They agreed to give me back the calico if their owners never reply, or the situation with the information swap is never resolved. =( I told them to absolutely not give it to the humane society.
If the owners never step up and claim the calico, I need to find a foster home for it. I'm willing to spay/neuter and give all the shots for the cat. =( but I can't keep it because my dog and cat don't get along well with the calico.
=( Do you think if I spay/neuter and provide all shots for the calico more foster homes will be willing to take the calico in?

kashtin's kin
December 2nd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Amazing how complicated things can get, Okami, but it sounds as if you're handling things as they come up :thumbs up. Most importantly, the cat is at present in a safe place. (That's very good of your vet...) Other folks may have other takes on the idea of a spayed/vaccinated cat being easier to adopt-or not; my vote is that having that work done will make the cat much more adoptable.

In the case of my 'feral family', we took in 2 of the 3 kittens (and they had the vet clinic 'works'). My s.i.l. who generously took the third kitten offered to have her spayed etc., but I thought it would be less stressful if the 2 very close sisters could get spayed and recuperate :D together...and s.i.l. would receive a 'good to go' healthy cat.

I think it's great :angel: that you're willing to have this cat spayed et al., even if you can't keep her; I do feel you will really improve her chances of finding a good home. Please do let us know how things go with this little calico...hopefully no more weird complications!!?? :fingerscr

chico2
December 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Okami,if you are willing to do this for her,her chances for adoption are much greater,thank you very much for caring:thumbs up
Calicos are popular kitties,they are soo beautiful:fingerscr
Could the vet say how old she is??

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
I agree with Chico but also the reason she doesn't get along with your dog and cat is because they haven't spent enough time together yet.

Okami
December 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM
The story so far.....

So the vet called and said that the owners did come and pick up the calico, and that the owners would be giving us a call sometime this week.

I was pretty happy to hear that the calico had been reunited with her owners until they gave us a call. Apparently they were pretty upset about us feeding the cat and letting it in our house. The owner told us we shouldn't feed it because it hunts for itself? Turns out these owners only live 5 blocks away from us. We asked them what would happen if the cat was out in cold weather and they answered "she's used to it".

And apparently the owner of this cat purposely did not put a tag and a collar on her. The vet had to tell the guy if he didn't have a tag and collar and let his cat run freely he will be fined.

=( I don't know what to make of this situation.

SARAH
December 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
She hunts for herself? What the :censored: ?? IMO, if she comes back (and knowing you fed her, chances are she will) just ... I dunno, keep her or find her a HOME rather than a ... whatcamacallit with two people who don't care! :mad:

kiara
December 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Good of you to take the cat in. Calicos are always female. She may even be pregnant, although it would be rare at this time of year. If the cat is unaproachable you should borrow a trap from a rescue group and take it to a vet to see if it is microchipped and someone maybe is looking for it. Stray cats often carry all kinds of diseases and you should never put them with yours until a vet says it's healthy. You should make posters with the cat's picture, the street where you live and the date you found it and take it to vet clinics, pet food stores and groomers where a lot of pet owners go. Also many food stores have bulletin boards. Good luck and let us know what happened.

chico2
December 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
OMG Okami,what horrible jerks,they do not deserve her for sure:yell:
Cats cannot survive on "hunting"for themselves,I guess ferals do,but not for long.
Also,she can get worms and all kinds of nasty stuff,what idiots:yell:

badger
December 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM
They could legally be charged with abuse and you should definitely tell them that if you decide to take her in and they get their knickers in a twist.

What possible claim can anyone have on an animal that they don't feed and don't shelter, even in winter? None. Ignorant people, I'd put them out to hunt. When my cats come running for bites of bread and other bizarre stuff, I know what they ended up 'hunting'. Garbage.

kashtin's kin
December 7th, 2007, 12:57 AM
So sorry to hear of this totally crappy 'resolution' to the poor calico cat's fate, after you and your vet went to some trouble to try to help out...people like these apparent guardians HA! of this cat just better have some vengeful karma coming their way.

If it is at all feasible to report this situation, I'd do so, and if the cat comes back I would try to [discreetly] adopt it to a deserving home. Once again, a poor innocent critter is treated like ---- by lovely humans...makes my blood boil.:mad:

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Just thinking of the neutering ... I've heard (true or false) that calicos are genrelly sterile. That would save you the expense, and also explain why she probably hasn't brought home a litter (those jerks may well have drowned the kittens if she did poor thing). :evil: :evil: people :mad:

krdahmer
December 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Call the authorities, depending on where you live there are laws and by-laws that these people are most definitely breaking. They are required by law to provide food, water and adequate shelter to all pets. Expecting her to 'hunt' for her food is actually against the law in most areas, and considered neglect. My gut feeling from what you've said is that you need to do whatever you can to get this cat away from it's 'owners', because they are in no way providing her with her basic necessities. :mad:

It is a shame that the vet gave her back in the first place:frustrated:, perhaps you could talk to the vet about what they have told you and the vet can give their info to the local SPCA/HS for further investigation.

Love4himies
December 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Do you know if the cat has been spayed? If they adopted it from a local shelter it may be spayed along with being microchipped.

I would definitely be calling the local shelter on these people and if the cat came to my house again, I would not allow the cat back to it's original owners. They don't care about it, plain and simple.

MoodIndigo1
December 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Just thinking of the neutering ... I've heard (true or false) that calicos are genrelly sterile. That would save you the expense, and also explain why she probably hasn't brought home a litter (those jerks may well have drowned the kittens if she did poor thing). :evil: :evil: people :mad:

Calicos are not sterile, or at least the females aren't. Almost all calicos are female, and in the off-chance that a calico is male, it means he has XXY chromosomes instead of XY, and he is sterile.

SARAH
December 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Aha, thanks for clearing that up. I knew I'd heard something about that, but that was before I even knew of pets.ca (yes, it's possible! horrible, but possible). Now I pay closer attention :thumbs up

Okami
December 7th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think for starters I'm going to bring the callie back to the vet again and make sure it has been spayed/neutered and has been given shots and checked for worms.

Right now I have a crate outside with a blanket on the outside and on the inside, wish tuna, catfood and a fresh bowl of water.
at the moment I'm allowing the callie to stay overnight, and I open the door for it during the daytime in case it wants to wander out.

I will contact the authorities, but which authorities do I contact the spca?

kashtin's kin
December 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated, Okami...:fingerscr that with your help this neglected cat will have a better life.

chico2
December 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Okami,thank you for beeing her :angel2:she certainly needs someone who cares:cat:
Probably since the owners don't care about her,they won't care if she does not come"home"anymore.
Depending on what your vet is like,I am sure he/she can help you out,maybe even with finding Callie a good home.:fingerscr

krdahmer
December 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I would start with the SPCA, as I think it is their investigators that would have to come out to their home... if not the police too (not 911 of course but the local #).

The only thing is, if you go that route, they may only get fined and still get to keep her (and sometimes the SPCA is so overloaded they may not do much at all- I've found at least the HS here, very unhelpful when it comes to cats, they come running for dogs though...:frustrated:)... not that I am suggesting cat-napping her but... :shrug: I know that in the past I have made judgement calls about just the same situation and did just take the cat in, he is rehomed and happy now and the owner didn't even think to inquire about him until 3 weeks later! And I am still unsure as to whether Palomine had a home or not when he waltzed into my house, but with the shape he was in... it was no home to speak of. You talked to these people and I'm sure you have a gut feeling on what should be done. Best of luck and keep us updated.:pray:

Janie123
December 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
We had a cat abandoned by neghibors who named him Goose.:rolleyes: We felt so sorry for him but Pepper was totally territorial and simply refused to accept him. We kept him in the garage on cold nights and I took a cat carrier and made a little house for him. He loved it.:)

NoahGrey
December 9th, 2007, 10:20 AM
You don't want to contact your vet on this. You would contact your spca. They are abandonding or another word used is dumping their pet, which is aganist the law and they could be charged with animal abandonment. Since this cat is mircochiped and states these guys are the owners of the cat, these people would be held accountable. They can't turn around and claim that this is not there cat (if this cat was not chipped)

I get that alot. The people claim that the dog/cat is not there pet, but a stray. Since most animals (expecially cats) are not chipped..we have no proof that the animal is theirs. Therefore making the people walk away with nothing.

ACO22