Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ear wax

muff
November 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM
My cat has been producing ear wax....dark , unpleasant smelly for some time.I clean her ears daily. My natural therapist says the problem is located in her 'gut' ....but we have been unable to find a product/regime that stops it....topical treatments do not work to correct the problem ..thanks in advance for any help !

luckypenny
November 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the forum muff :) .

My natural therapist says the problem is located in her 'gut' ....

Is your therapist referring to her diet? Is there a possibility that your cat has an ear infection or ear mites?

I'm not sure if one can compare a dog to a cat in this case but our Lab, Penny, had a lot of the same smelly dark ear wax. Since we switched her to RAW and added organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and extra virgin coconut oil to her diet, it has much improved. We also clean her ears 1x per week using a solution of the same vinegar and warm water at a ratio of 50:50.

I think if a vet rules out an infection and/or mites, I would take a close look at her diet and see if there's anything that can be improved upon such as switching to a high-grade holistic type food. You'll get lots of ideas from our food forum here http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53 .

Hope it resolves soon.

phoozles
November 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM
A dark ear wax in a cat definitely sounds like ear mites to me - I would recommend that you get that ruled out first. :thumbs up

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Are you sure its ear wax and not a infection . normally nasty smells and dark are signs of infections or ear mites .check with an vet to find out

badger
March 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
You definitely need a vet to check for ear mites. They are easy to clear up with medication. If this is what she has, the 'wax' is mite excrement.

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
When I first got Vlad the inside of his ears were brown and smelly. He had a terrible infestation of ear mites. It took a good 3 months until we were able to get them cleaned up. So I agree with the others, you should have a vet take a look at her.

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
This is an old post and the OP has never come back.

ancientgirl
March 1st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Yikes. Well, I hope they got the kitty to a vet.