Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat food question.

LavenderRott
November 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Ok. Let's pretend that I am an idiot (for some of you, that won't be a stretch! :laughing:) and don't have a clue.

I do. With dog food anyway.

I do know which cat foods to avoid. Our Scooby would only eat Meow Mix, however.

Scooby passed away a month ago. It was very, very sudden and we are just devestated.

I would like to feed Yela (Yeah-la), my husband's cat a better food. We do, however, have to keep our budget in mind as much as possible.

So - I have a lovely bag of Kirland Cat food. My research has shown me that the dog food is good (not great - but considerably better then grocery store brands) and I am hoping that the same can be said for the cat food.

Here is the ingredients list:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground wihte rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, methionine, choline chloride,taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zince sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, namganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

If this is a no-go, will someone please at least tell me why.

Thank you!!

Frenchy
November 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I'm not an expert on cat food ingredients either, but I started to feed my 2 cats the Kirkland food about one month ago. IMO , ingredients are ok , and they love it. I mix it with some wet food (just a bit) and add water. :shrug:

LavenderRott
November 29th, 2007, 08:59 PM
She seems to like it. It is in an auto-feeder and she is not a piggy so she gets it dry. I am considering some canned food morning and evening. Maybe that will make up for the fact that I refuse to let her outside. :eek:

Frenchy
November 29th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Maybe that will make up for the fact that I refuse to let her outside. :eek:

If she lacks of eating mice , send her my way, she won't need to go outside :frustrated:

LavenderRott
November 29th, 2007, 09:11 PM
If she lacks of eating mice , send her my way, she won't need to go outside :frustrated:

I don't think that she does much hunting. At least not successful hunting - she always heads right to her food dish when she comes in.

DH thinks that she is miserable when she can't go outside. She is a bit grumpier then usual, but that isn't saying much as she is a pretty grumpy girl. He is going back to Iraq for another year, so she will be suffering in the house while he is gone.

Frenchy
November 29th, 2007, 09:17 PM
He is going back to Iraq for another year,

That sucks LavenderRott :sad:

Both of my cats I adopted from Badger , she took them off the streets , not feral but homeless , they are now inside cats and got use to it. I saw a fox ran across the field behind my house once , so the cats will stay inside :D

LavenderRott
November 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
We have done it once and he came home fine, but with an interesting new scar. ;):eek: He assures me that this time is mission is "different" and safer.

As for the cat - I am sure she will be fine once Rusty stops chasing her through the house.

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
the Kirklands sounds ok. if you are already shopping at Costco, look at how expensive their chicken is. fresh food (yep my raw spiel again!!) and raw is far healthier for them. i have a buddy of mine who is working on supplementing with raw chicken every other day. there is enough nutrition in the kibble to not have to worry about organ meats but its WAY cheaper than canned.

anyways, if memory serves me Costco sells chicken parts already pre packaged so you could freeze each package and cut them off as you needed them. one breast woudl feed a cat for two days supplemented with kibble on the alternating days?

unquestionably the biggest issue with kibble is that its dry. thats not so bad for dogs because they LOVE drinking so they can bring some to their people. socks cant get really clean unless they have dog slobber on them AND it helps mop the floor too!! (at least thats what Mister tells me) but cats on the other hand do NOT have the thirst drive that dogs do. not by a long shot. i was SHOCKED to see how much my cats pee now that we ahve them on a raw diet!!! doing canned or cooked (really wet) chicken would ahve the same effect.

i found kibble to run the cheapest, next came raw, following closely was 'homemade' just cause it was a PITA, then came high quality kibble and most expensive was canned.

*shrugs* bottom line is the wetter the better. :laughing: and cats are carnivores. period. but first and foremost they need wet food.

-ash

LavenderRott
November 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I fed raw to the dogs for a couple of years, a couple of years ago. My rottie girl did GREAT on it. With my current budget constraints and the fact that I live in an apartment with barely enough freezer space for family groceries, raw just isn't an option right now. That and the silly cat eats in my carpeted closet.

I do think I will go to the local pet supply shop and look into canned food to add to her kibble. Any recommendations?

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM
wellness is good. really look into the pricing though. you know im the stingiest out there and raw was 1/4 the price of canned. the stuffs expensive!!

ive found raw to be great for the pooch but the benefits are much slimmer for dogs than it is for cats. im fairly sure that a dog can do *just* fine on a high quality kibble where as for a cat, not so much. anyways, raw runs me around $.60 per pound which makes it roughly $.40 a meal for the cats. canned is at the recommended 2 cans a day $4 daily.

the whole carpet thing... i cant help you there!! LOL!! we have a nice HUGE kitchen for my cats to drag it all over the place. i would be seriously miffed if i found some on the carpet!!

-ashley

sugarcatmom
November 29th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I do think I will go to the local pet supply shop and look into canned food to add to her kibble. Any recommendations?

Well, since price is a concern, Fancy Feast actually isn't too terrible (as long as it's the gluten-free (http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm) varieties). I can usually find it at PetSmart for around 50 cents (give or take) per 3 oz can. Most cats don't need more than 6 oz a day, so that's only $1/day. The other option is to get a case of the big cans (12.5 oz) of Wellness, which equals out to about the same cost when all is said and done, but only do this if you know your cat loves that particular flavour. Nothing turns a cat off of a canned food faster than buying a case of it. It's like some kind of secret pact they have. :rolleyes:

Other good foods are By Nature Organics, Precise, Nature's Variety, Innova, Felidae, Newman's Own, Avoderm, Eagle Pack . . . . . .

vfrohloff
November 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
The ingredients aren't horrible, but my cats did terribly on it. One of my guys threw up every day for a month, another had the runs all the time, and the others ended up with really dull coats and a noticeable lack of energy. I do tend to have a sensitive bunch though so your cat may do just fine on it. I have had my cats on Felidae for a while and it's pretty good in the price department, especially the chicken formula. HTH, and good luck!

rainbow
December 2nd, 2007, 01:53 AM
For people on a restricted budget, Kirkland is about the best there is. I also think you should be feeding her canned and supplementing with the kibble. :cat: