Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid tummy parasites!

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I took Maks to the vet last night. He's got tummy parasites. That's why his poop has been so runny and loose.

I asked the vet that saw him why if I use Revolution they still get this, I had a similar incident with Oksana not long ago. He said that even though in his opinion it's the best, because of the flea and worms prevention it doesn't keep them from getting those tummy parasites. Greeeeeat.

So he gave my little guy some medicine there, and I came home with 3 different medications to give him, one once daily for 7 days, another once daily for 5 days and another twice a day for 4 days. I'm going to have to wrap him up in a towel or something, because I cannot for anything get him on his back, which is the easiest way for me to get him to open his mouth.

He also sent me home with some dry food, he said not to give him any canned for a week. But I don't like the dry he sent me home with. It's some Science Diet W/D formula. I think on my way home I'm going to get the Nutro Max I usually get them, but I believe they have a sensitive stomach formula, if not that one I know Eukanuba has one.

It was hard this morning. I had to put Kiska on the counter for her food, and poor Maks kept meowing like "where's my food?" He finally started eating the dry, but I know he doesn't like the flavor. I know he likes the Nutro Max though.

Hopefully this will end the poopy paws issue.

Oh and I asked the vet about the stuff that was suggested by a few of you here and he said he didn't see anything wrong with giving that to them. I could also just try plain yogurt too. So I think I'll start doing that for them daily, giving them either a little bit of plain yogurt or some of those other probiotics. It's not going to do any harm and maybe it will stop them from getting these nasty tummy parasites.

badger
November 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
OH poopy paws :laughing::laughing::laughing: Ollie's had those for three weeks. I went with the slippery elm first, then we sent a sample to another lab, then three different meds. He's now on Scour, which is normally given to farm animals :eek:
It doesn't seem to be contagious, a small blessing (think 40 poopy paws).
Sorry, off topic, had to empathize.
When the vet doesn't have a clue, that's when we're at their mercy.

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm hoping the meds he has will at least firm him up a little and I'm going to the pharmacy tomorrow to get some of the culturelle so that I can give that to them. I might actually just stoop by the grocery store and get some plain yogurt and see if they'll have a bit of that too. May as well give them all some just to be on the safe side.

I'm hoping once his poop firms up, even if he does step on it it won't be so darn messy!

krdahmer
November 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I am so sorry Maks has parasites!! :frustrated: I'm beginning to see there are some advantages of having a winter!

I'm not sure if yours will, but my guys love yogurt and not just the plain kind... Fagan loves lemon yogurt of all things! (It's so cute to watch him lick it off my spoon... he gets that sour crinkly nose but still keeps eating...:lovestruck:). I also use the yogurt to give Fagan his glucosamine powder (and if Maks likes it maybe you could crush and hide his pills in it?). I put it in a syringe (a big one) and squirt it into his mouth so that I know he gets it all. And as for getting their mouths open, what I do is put them on the counter then gently hold their head from behind their ears kinda with the palm of my hand and lift up their top jaw with the thumb and index finger of that same hand, this way they can't squirm away because you have a hold of their whole head. (And I try to be very fast about it too.) It took a while but Fagan now knows to sit still a minute or so while mommy shoves some stuff down his throat, and then he gets treats.:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I am so sorry Maks has parasites!! :frustrated: I'm beginning to see there are some advantages of having a winter!

I'm not sure if yours will, but my guys love yogurt and not just the plain kind... Fagan loves lemon yogurt of all things! (It's so cute to watch him lick it off my spoon... he gets that sour crinkly nose but still keeps eating...:lovestruck:). I also use the yogurt to give Fagan his glucosamine powder (and if Maks likes it maybe you could crush and hide his pills in it?). I put it in a syringe (a big one) and squirt it into his mouth so that I know he gets it all. And as for getting their mouths open, what I do is put them on the counter then gently hold their head from behind their ears kinda with the palm of my hand and lift up their top jaw with the thumb and index finger of that same hand, this way they can't squirm away because you have a hold of their whole head. (And I try to be very fast about it too.) It took a while but Fagan now knows to sit still a minute or so while mommy shoves some stuff down his throat, and then he gets treats.:rolleyes:

Yes, its crazy. I keep them indoors yet they still get this stuff. Maybe I'll try some lemon yogurt, or even blueberry. I know blueberries are okay for them to eat. The meds I got are liquids, so I'm shoving it in his mouth that way. I just can't get the little guy to sit still. He's really a squirmy guy. That's why I was planning on just wrapping him up in a towel. At least that way I can avoid the struggle and know its all going in there.

I'm going to stop at the grocery store on my way home and get some yogurt. I can split a cup between all 4 of them.

14+kitties
November 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I am so glad Maks' problem is fixable!! Best of luck!!!!!!!!!! Sending:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, me too. He should be okay in a few days and hopefully :fingerscr pooping firmly very soon.:D

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 07:34 PM
is it a pill or liquid? is he the only cat you have because add w ith his food . or ask an friend to assist you and open his mouth put the pill on his togue and close it and blow his noise and he will swollen