Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potty training - inside to outside

jamie 82
November 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
hi guys,

thanks for those that helped me with my last question - keely is doing awesome - crate trained at night and learning to play on her own a bit.

now my next challenge...

when we first got her, we couldn't take her outside...she dind't have her shots...now she can go outside...she's gotten so good at going on her pee pad...how do we transition to outside and then eventually get her on a schedule?

first off - we want her to pee outside
second - we'd love her on a schedule - morning, lunch, after work, at night. how do we get her to do that?

any tips anyone?

thanks.

breeze
November 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
you can try and move the pee pad closer to the door every times she goes, praise her and then next time move the pad even closer to the door, eventually she will make it out the door..

or when you take her out of the create make sure you have a clear path to the outside .. straight out side let her do what she has to do and then praise, inside for a little play then back in the create.. repeat process..once she get the hang of it you then can put her on a schedule.

hope this make sence and hope it's helpful

allymack
November 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM
to get her on a schedule you have to have her food on a schedule, this way you will know when she has to go pee/poo to train her to go out side you will need to take her straight outside when you take her out of her crate, in stead of to the pee pad ( and if she is out loose, watch her closely if she is showing signs that she is going to go pee, take her outside right away, although she might have one accident on the floor [which you can clean up with water and vinegar] before you know her peeing signs, unless you already know them) and when she goes out side, give her tons of praise and have a ball or a toy to play with outside, because if you take her straight inside after she pees, she might start not going pee as soon as you take her out and she might just sniff and dawdle around and then 10 mins later go pee, and if she does this, just wait her out, becuase she will most likely pee as soon as you take her in, if you dont wait her out,hope all of this helps :)

jamie 82
December 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Wow...it has only taken Keely 3 -4 days to figure out the eating...she now eats 2 times a day and we've noticed a change in her bathroom schedule already. we moved the pee pad by the back door, so we're almost outside...she actually went to the bathroom outside once this wekeend...it was a bit of a fluke...we took her out and she went...gave us a look like, uh oh, i hope i'm not in trouble...but when we praised her, she loved it.

so i think we're on our way to getting her there.

thanks for the advice!

allymack
December 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
its good to hear all is starting to go well, keep us updated and keep up the good work:thumbs up