Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen - lecithin from what source?

mika140
November 28th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know what source Orijen has used for the lecithin in their 6 fresh fish? I think my dog is intolerant/allergic to soy, and it seems that lecithin can come from either soy, egg, or sunflower oil. I e-mailed the company, but haven't heard anything back. Any dogs out there that are allergic to soy but doing fine on the 6 fish? Guess that might answer the question.

clm
November 28th, 2007, 12:59 PM
How long ago did you e:mail them. It took 4 or 5 days for me to get a response from them in the past.

Cindy

clm
November 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I don't see lecithin on their ingredients list or analysis....could be I'm missing it, but I don't see it.

Cindy

mika140
November 29th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I wrote them last weekend, so I guess it hasn't really been that long. I was hoping it didn't get lost in the shuffle....and since yours took a little while, hopefully I'll hear soon.

The lecithin isn't in the regular kibble, only in the 6 Fresh Fish:

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..

Masha
November 29th, 2007, 06:32 PM
There is 'crab shell' in this food? Seems like an odd thing to put into quality food....

Dracko
November 29th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Lecithin in the health food industry is almost soley sourced from soy. It can be from eggs but it is more expensive.

I would 99.9% assume that the lecithin is from soy since for "most" people/animals it is believed to be a good source. Certainly not true from someone with a soy allergy, of course.

mika140
November 30th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info :thumbs up I'm still waiting to hear back from the company. If it is from soy, at least it's only in that one formula.

mika140
December 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Just heard back from the company. They use no soy or soy products in their kibbles. The lecithin comes from egg. Kinda impressive, considering it must cost quite a bit more....another reason I'm liking this company more the more I learn about it.

clm
December 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I like them too, they've always responded to my questions, they're Canadian, and my dogs and cats like their products.

I only wish they'd make a canned food, but they've told me they have no intention of doing that for now.

Cindy

geisha
December 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
In the Business Section of the Edmonton Journal is says that Champion Pet Foods won a God Award @ the Premier's Awards of Excellence gala last week. The marketing director Peter Muhlenfeld was interviewed and he commented: "It has exceeded all sales expectations, It's become a cult, boutique pet food, and that's no exaggeration. Through person to person, blogs and no advertising at all, it's now being sold in Paris, Milan, Berlin, Miami, New York - all the major cities."
They've also had to go beyond Alberta to get all the fresh ingredients they need to keep up with demand. A company in Port Hardy on Vancouver Island works for Champion providing fltafish and herring to augment the whitefish they get from Alberta suppliers.
I know this is off topic :sorry: but I'm sure those who are interested don't have access to the Journal.

meb999
December 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Orijen is made by Acana though, not Champion...

sugarcatmom
December 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Orijen is made by Acana though, not Champion...

Nope, actually Orijen and Acana are made by Champion Pet Foods: http://www.championpetfoods.com/