Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and colds

Phaecochew
November 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
This is probably silly, but my lab is sneezing and has a runny nose. I have never seen a dog with a cold before, but that's what he looks and acts like. He has had all immunizations including kennel cough. Eating OK, but not as much as usual. Also he has allergies - usually skin presentation though. No fever and just finished a course of prednisone for the skin allergies, and gentamycin for an ear infection. He is walking 2 miles every day but rainy days and is on a diet to keep his weight about 100. He is a very tall lab and not fat, you can see and feel his ribs without much difficulty.

So my question is can dogs get colds and/or respiratory allergies?

allymack
November 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
hey, welcome to the board! and yes i believe it is possible for dogs and cats to get colds, cats usually get a bacterial cold from boardetella bacteria and gogs usually get it from a mix of bordetella and and flu virus, when they get these bacterias cas usually sneezes rapidly, and dogs usually get a cough. the best way to treat the cold if there is a bacterial component is to get antibiotics, if it is a viral cold yu will need supported treatments like good nutrition, keeping him clean and giving him lots of fresh water also if it is viral there is most likely a second bacterial component and you might still need an antibiotic drug hope this helps :)