Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cremation thoughts??

budboybudboy77
November 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hello,
Just wanted to know the animals that have passed away ,what have any of you done after ,meaning cremation , backyard , etc.

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread ,sorry if it isn't.

Thks

SnowDancer
November 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cremation at the vet's and I don't keep the ashes. I intend the same for me when I die. The memories of my guys live on in my heart and mind.

badger
November 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I've had to leave a couple of cats at the vets for cremation, one I buried in my community garden and one behind the adjoining church. Those last were the most satisfying.
But I think you should do whatever helps your grieving. If it is important for you to have Buddy's remains with you or to scatter his ashes in one of the places he loved to run, then have him cremated privately. But if you decide to have him cremated through your vet (they incinerate animals separately, by the way), don't feel that you have let him down. That you keep him in your heart is already a huge tribute.

Winston
November 28th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Budboy! Whatever you decide is what matters....Everyone has their own way of coping and making these decisions. Here is mine...I will have my furbaby's cremated with me present if at all possible...and then when it is my time they will come along with me!

I also have planned in case something unexpected was to happen to me or hubby and in that case my animals will be takenn care of and not dumped off at a rescue or something.

I will be thinking of you today as you travel to take Buddy.!!

Cindy
:dog:RIP sweet one!

Dogastrophe
November 28th, 2007, 10:55 AM
We had Monty cremated 'privately', that is to say, on his own and not part of a group cremation. We had thought about spreading his ashes in our garden, however, decided against it as we didn't want to leave him behind if we ever move.

Instead we went with a two-piece hollowed out piece of weathered granite as an urn which now sits on a shelf near his favorite hang out spot (Monty loved to pee on rocks ... this one would have elicited an extra squirt or two from him if it was on his walk :)).

krdahmer
November 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I haven't had to do it yet... but my plan is to have them cremated, keep them in individual urns and when I go I want all of their ashes put in with me in my urn. (Sneakily if they have to- they have a big thing about pets being buried in people plots here.) That would be comforting to me, to know in a way we'll be together forever even long after we are all gone. :o

budboybudboy77
November 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
OK thks we plan to do a private assisted cremation, at the crematorium.
We will see the whole process and bring our Buddy home after with us.

Love4himies
November 28th, 2007, 11:45 AM
We did a private cremation for my precious Snowball and brought his ashes home. He would not want to be buried and would not want to be where he could not be with me. He now sits in an inconspicuous spot in our house where he can still be part of the family.

clm
November 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Everyone feels differently about these things. I remember my first 2 dogs very well, and having their ashes wouldn't change that, so we didn't ask for the ashes. Likewise, I could care a less if someone wants my ashes or not after I'm gone.
Some people find comfort in having the ashes of their loved ones whether they be pets or people.

Cindy

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cremation at the vet's and I don't keep the ashes. I intend the same for me when I die. The memories of my guys live on in my heart and mind.
This is what I did when Hamish passed, and would want my family to do the same when I pass. At first I felt guilty about not keeping them, but then felt better when I knew he was still alive in my heart and mind. Hamish loved lavender, so I spread some lavender around on his favorite walks and will do that again in the spring. A fitting tribute, I think :candle:

chico2
November 28th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I brought 4 of my cats home and they are all buried in my backyard,the place they loved the most,at the time,for me it was the right thing to do, I could not bare the thought of leaving them at the vets.:sad:
Today,with my 3,I might do things differently..
You should do what you feel is the right thing and I hope it's not too difficult for you,Buddy will be with you in your heart,he never left..:grouphug:

Luba
November 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
It's five years later for me after losing my dog Rusty at 16yrs.
His ashes are in a little urn in our livingroom next to his picture.
I had the vet take a foot print of one of his paws and snippit of some of his fur which I still have on the back of his picture. Maybe it would help you to do the same, it sure did me.

Longblades
November 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
We've cremated the ones who died in winter but all, ashes or bodies, are buried in our backyard. Like some other posters, I feel that my pets live on in my memory but it does sort of give me a twinge to think of moving and leaving our little pet cemetary. What if a new person wanted to build or plant something in that spot and started digging?