Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Inherited House

Lynelle
November 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
My husband and I recently inherited my mother's house where she had 12 Italian Greyhounds living in it. They trashed it (peed & pooped everywhere). We are going to be replacing the linoleum in the kitchen. We kept one of the IG's and brought our pug and elderly German Shepherd over and now the pug and the IG pee and poop everywhere. They have plenty of outdoor time as we have a fenced-in area.

It's disgusting and making me crazy.

CearaQC
November 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Are your pets neutered/spayed? Maybe they smell the other doggie scent leftovers. Consider getting a professional steam cleaning service maybe? Bleach water for the rest. Installing new flooring might help too once the area under the flooring is cleaned and sanitized. I always go for wood or wood type flooring as it's much easier to clean pet accidents of all sorts and smells don't linger.

Lots of exercise outside of home boundaries would be good for the dogs and humans too! A backyard alone doesn't provide enough exercise. A tired dog after exercise is a good dog. Consider bicycling, roller blading, long walks, hiking, etc.

It's hard when getting inherited property that wasn't kept in the best shape and having to clean up someone else's mess.

If you kept one of those dogs, what happened to the rest of the 11?

Lynelle
November 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM
We have horse property and they are constantly running around with us outside for about 2-3 hours per day! Yes they are all neutered. We've bleached, we've used the enzymes everything...

The other 11 went to the IG rescue and have been placed in wonderful homes!

I'd hate to have to place these two guys, but I feel like all I've been doing is cleaning up after them!

mona_b
November 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM
You need to remember that you IG is doing what he/she was allowed to do.And that is peeing and pooping where ever.So that means he/she was not housetrained.So now that is your job.Your pug is now doing it because of the scent that is still behind or is just coppying the IG.Probably both.

That's just my opinion......:)

Lynelle
November 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, the pug and the IG are crated when we aren't home (working) and they are immediately let out when we return, so hopefully they will soon figure it out! The pug has always had a problem with house training - he's very stubborn. ::

coppperbelle
November 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
When we bought our cottage it had been left empty for over a year. There were stains all over the carpeting and even on the walls where the dogs had obviously lifted their legs to pee. The first thing our dog did when she visited the house was pee on the floor. I was told that the previous owner had 5 rotweilers and that they were often left alone for long periods of time. We removed all the carpeting and linoleum and the stains were still obvious. I went to Lowe's and bought a special paint made to cover up stains and smells. I can't remember the name of it. We painted over every stain and then installed new carpeting. It worked.

I think you may have to remove all the flooring and then work on house training your dogs. They just haven't figured out that you want them to go outside. It is important that you catch them in the act and immediately bring them outside without yelling or being harsh with them. When they do go out praise them madly.

Good luck and please don't give up. They will learn and it will be worth it.

Lynelle
November 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. They ARE eager to please, I think/hope that it's just behavior modification that has to be addressed. I am finding that crate-training is working quite nicely. The problem that I now have is that after they go outside and romp etc with the horses, they come in and start marking their territory IN THE HOUSE! grrr. But the positive reinforcement, I will continue. Sometimes though, I can't catch them in the act! I don't know who to discipline! So, that being said, I have to monitor their movement in the house for the time being! Do you or anyone know a good product besides replacing all hardwood flooring (4 rooms) that can kill the odor for them? They have all been bleached and scrubbed. The cost of replacing the floors is a little intimidating!