Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

22 hour crate days!!! HELP!!:0

pmeyer426
November 28th, 2007, 12:07 AM
OK I know this is going to sound awful, that's why I need advice BIG time! I live with a roomate who has a 2 year old Beagle named Weezer. My roomate and I live in an apartment and both are RN's who work 12 hour shifts. She leaves Weezer in the crate for the entire 12-14 hours she is at work, and then all day when she is sleeping (for another 8-9). On the days she goes to work she walks her 1 time for 5 minutes before she leaves and lets her on the balcony when she comes home. She lets her run around for maybe 1 hour in the morning and maybe 1/2 hour in the evening before work. This is her schedule for 4 days a week. Fortunately I have been working the day shift (opposite of my roomate) and can spend time with Weezer when my roomate is at work. But next week I will start the night shift and we will both be gone at the same time. Weezer is really bad, always getting into things and soiling the carpet. I don't blame her, I know she doesn't get enough attention, and now that my schedule is changing, she will be locked up even more. I wish my roomate would do something about this, I feel terrible about locking her up all day. Its not my dog, and not my commitment, but how can I just sit back and let her be locked up her whole life! What the heck do i do?!? HELP!

t.pettet
November 28th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Would it be possible to hire someone to come in mid-day to take her for a really long walk? or perhaps doggy-day care? or put her in the kitchen (with barrier) where she will have more space, pee-pee pads, toys and things to chew on? She must be feeling so isolated and frustrated.

satchelp
November 28th, 2007, 12:48 AM
You're right, this does sound awful, and I completely agree with your concern. The dog's basic needs are being ignored. If your roommate is an RN, she probably has a decent income since it sounds like she is working full-time. Please urge her to hire a dog walking service at the very least to come 2 to 3 times a day for at least an hour each time (yes even when she is sleeping) on those days when both of you are working or if you can't help out (it really isn't your responsibility, and it's great that you are helping when you can, but she really needs to take this on herself. The dog will become increasingly unhappy and any unwanted behaviours are not only going to get worse until the dog is treated like an entity, and something to be valued and cherished. She also really needs to spend quality time with the dog when she is awake as well. If she can't provide for the dog, then it may be time to find the dog a good home where she can have the proper human interaction and exercise she deserves.

Jack1337
November 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM
People with busy schedules should NOT have dogs, no matter how much they love them.
This is why my parents had to give our dog away back when I was in highschool, we all loved her a lot, but were way too busy to spend time with her and she'd stay alone for over 9-10 hours a day sometimes and that really made her sad, no we didn't keep her in a crate, and she was getting her walks 3 times a day, we used to play with her a lot and everything, but she was spending way too much time alone and that kind of started to affect her.

Try to convince your roommate to give the pup to someone and get a cat or two cats instead, cats don't mind being left alone that much, though with her schedule I think she shouldn't keep a cat either, a hamster or a guinea pig wold be perfect for her if she doesn't mind changing their bedding and stuff regularly.

Luba
November 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM
This person is apparently not just irresponsible but also very selfish.

Try to talk some sense into appealing at her 'nuturing' side of nursing and say 'you' wouldn't leave a patient in a bed that long alone' etc....
And I think the better option would be a better loving home for this dog.

Luba
November 28th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Beagle rescues in Texas, maybe they can give you some specific advise:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX347.html

http://www.houstonbeaglerescue.org/

CearaQC
November 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Why does the medical industry overwork their professionals like that? I'll never understand it. That's why medical accidents occur, IMO. Everyone is too tired!

Poor dog... if she doesn't do doggy day care or hire a dog walker/sitter, then it should go to another home in my opinion.

An aquarium might be the better pet option for people that work mega long hours. Plus think of the relaxation that an aquarium can provide after a stressful day.

clm
November 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM
The best thing your roommate could do for this dog is find a home where she'll get love and attention.

Cindy

chico2
November 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM
PMeyer,definetly try to contact the Beaglerescues,before this poor dog will go crazy out of boredom and lose musclemass due to inactivity,maybe even become antisocial,which I would not blame her for.:sad:
I am sure this situation bothers you a lot,as it would me,or you would not ask for advice,what your friend is doing is animalabuse and I hope you find a solution:fingerscr

welread1
November 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I hate to say it- but I'd go as far to say that what your roomtate is committing is a form of animal neglect.

I think you're great for caring so much-
I'm an honest person --so here's my honest opnion!

Although dog walkers are great for "extra walks" and getting to the animals when you need that mid-afternnon walk- they are NO substitue for a pet owner taking responsibility for thier commitment to an animal!

Think of human nature and then think of canine nature. Dogs need to walk, exercise, eat, hunt, play and commune with other living things.
Other than food and bathroom breaks- this dog is living in a cell in Sing-Sing-- but, has commited no crime.
Don't get me wrong- two of my dogs stay in the crate 5 hours Mon-Fri- but they also sleep with us, eat with us, play with us and get lots of love and exercise. And are never inthe crate Saturday or Sunday OR after 2:15 pm.
It sounds like your roomate has the wrong kind of pet. If she wants to keep him- she needs to become a responsible pet owner, which means WORKING at it.

Now, if she wants to keep the animal- the dog needs to learn to be outisde of that crate- which means slowly getting it used to an enclosed area of the house. The dogs bad beahvior is directly due to the way the animal is being treated. Dogs should get walked at least twice a day for 20-30 minutes at a time.
I bet if she walked that dog for 20 solid minutes (with a bit of running interjected in the walk).. then spent time with him, then put him in an enclosed are, he would not be as distructive......

Best advice, if she can't make the commitment to the animal... find a rescue!

To be blunt and honest- Any true animal lover would never behave the way your roomate is behaving to this poor 'lil buddy:eek:!
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. If I were you, I would convince her to either get with the program or find the baby a good home.
Best of Luck!

happycats
November 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
You would think someone in the medical profession would know what it does to a body when hold your bodily functions in for that long, not to mention the emotional torture she is putting this poor dog through!!

This dog needs a new home!!

I do commend you for trying, and caring, something your roomate doesn't!
God I hope I don't end up with someone like her caring for me if/when I get sick!! (maybe strap me to my bed for 12-13 hours to keep me quiet!!:eek:)

14+kitties
November 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Well said everyone! It doesn't sound to me that she is ready to be a pet owner.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Sounds like she wants a dog for the sake of saying she has a dog.

That's no way to keep a pet. She should either hire a pet sitter to come and give that poor dog some much needed attention or she should find it a home where it will get the love and attention AND exercise it needs.

rjesak
November 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well, pmeyer, it's been decided - your roommate shouldn't have a pet (especially a dog) or she should take him to puppy day care. :lightbulb: The problem is, what can YOU do? I'm pretty sure your roomie won't take kindly to your suggestion that she's not a very good pet mother and she should give him up. :mad::yell::evil: She might take a little better to the suggestion of doggie day care, but, I imagine, she would already be using a service like that if she thought it were necessary and affordable.

I think since your hours are changing, it's a good time to open up a discussion with her about how this will affect her (hopefully) much-loved pet. She must realize that having the dog crated that long isn't healthy. Maybe you could talk to her about training the dog so she doesn't have to be crated all day and night. There's no question that the puppy is going to act up when he's outside the crate because he's lonely and bored and trapped for four days out of the week. If you (or your roomie since it's her dog) can get the pup's behavior under control so that he doesn't have to be locked in a cell so much, that would be a giant step in the right direction.

Luba
November 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
You may want to discuss the situation with the landlord and maybe if you're not allowed to have pets in the apt as it says so in signed lease for instance, the landlord can say dog has to go, complaints ....
then you can say you'll help her find a new home for the dog and give the beagle rescue a call. :thumbs up

pmeyer426
November 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for your responses and advice. I have talked it over with my roomate (briefly). We are collectively going to walk her more (and run), play with her while we are home and just show her more attention. I am also looking up dog walkers in the neighborhood and maybe even doggy day care. I even suggested leaving her locked up in the kitchen, she was against it, said she poops and pees everwhere and eats her pee pads! Well, i think it's worth taking another shot at it anyway! So i will probably leave her in the kitchen :). Anyway, thanks again for all your help! Hopefully I can update you with some great news in the future!

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
:sorry: puppie i wounld like to say first .
well the reason he acting the way she is because she lonely .. lonely. maybe you guys can pay for doggie daycare and she will be able to interact with other dogs and people it sounds the best thing for her since you guys are working so much .try to come with some thing to do for the dogs sake please or maybe think of anther home for her .....

i :pray:for ya guys

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 08:18 PM
This is an old post and the OP has never come back.

babykitten
March 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
:sorry: puppie i wounld like to say first .
well the reason he acting the way she is because she lonely .. lonely. maybe you guys can pay for doggie daycare and she will be able to interact with other dogs and people it sounds the best thing for her since you guys are working so much .try to come with some thing to do for the dogs sake please or maybe think of anther home for her .....

i :pray:for ya guys

rainbow
March 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Why are you repeating your post? :rolleyes: