Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer won't stop peeing in the house

Boxermuch
November 27th, 2007, 09:38 PM
So my husband and I adopted our cute boxer Delaney over a year ago and for that entire time she has had housebreaking issues. It didn't start off too bad, we assumed she just didn't know what was going on when we adopted her since she was fostered and guessed that the sudden change left her confused so she would go in the house. We used a enzyme based urine cleaner and also steam cleaned the carpets after the first few accidents.

However, as time went on, she just kept waiting for us to look away from her and she would take the chance and use the bathroom in the house. We've tried the basic housebreaking training with praising her when she went outside and taking her out right after she ate along with monitoring how much she ate and drank (no gravity feeders/waterer).

However, she still refuses to really go outside or even try and let us know she has to go. We usually try to take her out 3-4 times a day and she will usually only go twice outside and then will just pee whenever she sees her chance (she's peed right behind me in our computer room twice). I try to keep her in my sight at all times when she's out of her crate (yes she is crate trained). I always try to see if she sniffs at the carpet for some sign that she has to go, but she never does, she just looks at me and squats and pee and never stops until she's done, no treats, stern voice, leash tempting, even tugging on her collar to move her out of the peeing position stops her.

Just 15 minutes ago she peed again right on front of me and refused to stop even after I tried moving her out of the position. The thing is, I had taken her outside an hour before and she did her business and usually she's good for about 4 hours before I take her out again to try and keep the chances of her peeing the carpet down. Now she's about 2-3 years old and we were told she was housetrained but she definately doesn't reflect it.

My husband is about ready to give her up or make her an outside dog only since we just cant' trust her, even when we watch her. I'm at my wits end with this problem, my house smells of urine even with scrubbing the carpet. I'm not sure what to d besides just leave her in her crate and only take her out to the bathroom and to eat and do walks and then put her back in the crate, but I really don't want to do that and keep her caged up all day. I love her, but I really just can't take all the peeing anymore.

t.pettet
November 27th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Have you taken her to the vet for urine analysis etc. to see of she has a bladder infection or kidney problems. It doesn't sound like she has much control. Before re-crate training her have a complete physical and come back with the results. If it turns out to be a behavioural issue we can all help you house train this dog without banning her to living outside or giving her away. Best wishes.

growler~GateKeeper
November 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Some dogs (& cats) have small sized bladders....so a visit to the vet would rule out that possibility or bladder/kidney stones or urinary tract infection.

At the same time you should enrol her & yourselves in basic obedience classes & consult a trainer regarding re-training the housebreaking.

Some dogs need a re-fresher course in basic obedience to refresh the commands they already know, regain their confidence & re-affirm their place in your "pack".

The trainer will help you to teach her to give you the signals that she needs to go out ie ringing a bell @ the door, scratching @ the door, a bark to go out etc.

Keep us posted on the result of your vet visit & her progress :)

badger
November 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I didn't see any walks in your posts. Does she get walks? Maybe if the two (or three) of you were outside more often, she would catch on faster. Absolutely, get her checked out by the vet.

welread1
November 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Hi!
Okay, I've got four dogs and one is a Boxer with the same issue! This sounds very familiar! We've had Samuel for a year now and he is loveable and cuddly and yet very, very retarded. We have crate trained him (which has helped) however, the trick with mentally challenged Boxers, is to make sure they go out at least five times a day and also , believe it or not, FOOD choice! My friends qued me in on this, but try a natural food, like Nature's Nutro or, if you have the time, follow a few solid a reliable recipes for a holistic diet. You can actually make rice/turkey/chicken/ meal food yourself or buy it fresh. If that's not financially feasible or too time consuming, just go with a natural food. I think it has to do with ingredients and with a dog with a weak bladder, it can wreak havoc on them.
I think the bladder/unrine infection issue could be right on as well. It's very possible genetics have played a role here...
A vet visit may be a wise choice.. and, if that doesn't work, I hate to say it... but it just may be the dog's ability to "get it."

Our baby is doing much much better at doing his business outside, but he still does his business (both number 1 &2) anywhere he can, if we do not get him to the door when he has to go. Good luck!:thumbs up

Boxermuch
November 28th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Well, right now I'm going to assume it's a UTI or a weak bladder after reading a bit more on everyone's suggestions. Her pee recently has really started to stink, usually it's not nearly that strong smelling and the fact that she peed an hour after I took her outside and then when I took her out on the porch she slightly tinkled again.

I plan on calling a vet today after work to see if I can get her in to be checked out tomorrow and just get a general physical and a urinalysis and get a culture done if she does have a UTI.

I do take her out for walks, but it's a very slow process since I'm training her not to pull on the leash (she's big for a female, almost as large as a male) which means every pull means I take a firm stop and stand my ground until she comes and stands next to me (she gets too distracted right now to do a sit/wait even for treats). So she only gets about 1-2 walks a day, but even then I take her out very often to let her go to the bathroom.

As for the other suggestion on training, we've already taken her to a group training class before and it helped a bit with basic commands, but having my husband not listen to understand that he must not change commands or signals made it difficult so while my husband is gone (he's in the military) I plan on spending at least 5 mins every hour or so and making it 'quick training time' since her attention span is worse than a fish. I'm basically starting from scratch with her.

So hopefully I'll be able to post again soon about the vet results and hopefully I'll get a vet appointment tomorrow.

Boxermuch
November 30th, 2007, 01:00 AM
So it's not a UTI or bladder problem at all, I got the results back today from the vet and he says she's in perfect healthy shape, so I guess it just comes down to training. :\ And right now it seems whatever I do isn't working *sigh*

t.pettet
December 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
These methods should work but persistence is the key. Keep her in her cage or in the kitchen with a child gate and don't allow her anymore free run of the house. Every 4 hrs. take her out (on leash) for a short walk to a specific spot to pee, giving her the pee command and when she does lavish lots of praise and a small treat. I have taken a paper towel soaked in the pee to a specific spot outside where I want them to eliminate when training puppies. You almost have to go back to the basic puppy training methods as she's forgotten or has had too much freedom without being trained properly in the beginning. There is a product called Nature's Miracle that will eliminate the urine smell. Crate her at night (next to your bed) and be vigilant, you might want to use a different collar if she's dragging you on your walks.

t.pettet
December 7th, 2007, 08:17 PM
How is that boxer girl doing with her house training - any updates?

Oscar2010
January 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Oscar can hold almost 10 hours at night and has learnt to ring the back door bell to let me know he needs to go out. He goes for 2 walks about 30-45 minutes long each day. However, he still pees in the front room almost once every other day. I have moved the couch to block off the room. What is the best way to get him to stop - not sure if it is marking or potty training issues. I want him to become reliable. We have a play pen where I leave him when I am not watching him

totallyhip
January 25th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Please don't make her an "Outside" dog. Boxers aren't outdoor dogs. And she shouldn't be banished just because she can't get the potty training. Please be patient with her.

How old is she?

I agree with ^^^ everyone else. You need to be consistent and come up with a schedule.

Here are some tips that we give our adopters.

It is important to take your new dog out to their designated area every 2 hours in the beginning. Yes, this sounds crazy, but the strict routine is the absolute best way to ingrain the process in your new dog. If you are very diligent in the beginning the entire process will sink in much quicker. If you give them too much freedom and accidents occur in the beginning, it can be a longer process. Make sure your dog goes to their designated area these critical times:
1. First thing in the morning
2. After they eat
3. Before being crated
4. Before going to bed
Use the same door to the designated area to keep it simple for your new dog. You will soon see the dog going to that door, or looking at it as a sign they need to go
out.

totallyhip
January 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Ooops sorry forgot to add....... Make sure you get some good Enzymatic cleaner llike Nature's Miracle. If your using just regular household cleaning she can still smell the urine and will continue to go in that spot.