Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The adventures of Maks and poop.

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM
So it seems that Maks can't seem to poop and not step in it. Oy my goodness! For the third time now since the 2 or 3 weeks I've had him he's gotten poop all over his hind legs and thigh. I got home and saw something odd on the floor of the bedroom. I leaned down, and sniffed, yep poop. So I started looking at my choices. Vlad has never stepped in his poop, so I didn't even think of him. Oksana is above anything that nasty. I picked up Kiska, nothing, clean. Went to Maks, and there it was, for all to see, smeared poop.

And boy did he ever pitch a fit when I stuck him in the sink. I had to, no amount of kitty wipes could have gotten that muck off. Luckily it was only from the waist down, but he was not happy.

Then for my next adventure of the evening, I go to clean the litter box, and for some odd reason lately, Vlad has decided he wants to use the litter box while I'm cleaning it! AAAAHHHHH!!!!!! And who does what her big brother does? Kiska, comes in right after him. Of course Maks will not be undone so he decides to get in on the action.

The only one with manners here is dainty Ms. Oksana. I always knew she had a bit of a Diva in her.

After I finally cleaned the litter box, after their majesties allowed me in there, I cleaned the floors, lit some Oust candles and sat down.

Still, I'd rather deal with my furbabies than kids. They're all settled down and lounging. Me? I'm contemplating how I can get some goulashes on Maks.

breeze
November 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
oooooo the trials of kittens.. I'm sitting here giggling, I remember when I had 2 kittens........ you are bringing back memeries for me..

dmc123
November 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I can soooo relate...and too admit to a small giggle....it does get better.

Diane

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I thought I got lucky, since I never had these problems with either Vlad or Oksana and I got them younger than what Kiska and Maks are.

Oh well, the adventure begins.:laughing:

want4rain
November 27th, 2007, 07:56 PM
piff.... our cats are 3+ years and they STILL have to use the freshly cleaned litter box.... of which gets cleaned right then... its the only way we can get away with 2 days, 5 boxes and 4 cats.

you know to give HOT baths for cats right?? they have a higher body temp than we do. if its just almost too hot for us to touch (unless you like pain) is perfect.

just wait till you cant flush the toilet before someone is vying for a front seat!!

-ash

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Can you believe I had to clean him AGAIN! I keep trying to watch him while he's in the litter box, to see what exactly he does but I can't quite catch him.

I sure hope he figures it out soon, because if not, then he's going to have to get used to being bathed from the waist down daily.

I did read somewhere they had to be bathed with warmer water than what we're used to.

14+kitties
November 27th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Goulashes??? Don't you mean hip waders if it's getting to his waist? :laughing::laughing:

sugarcatmom
November 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Is it possible that he needs a bigger litter box? Not necessarily because he's big or anything, but maybe he just isn't coordinated enough yet to maneuver around in them. Unless the one you have IS really big, in which case, I have no idea :shrug:. You've got a goofy kitty there.

Dracko
November 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Of my 2 newest kittens one always seemed to have poop on her butt fur. One day while cleaning their boxes (YES, I seem to have 3 of them that HAVE to come in the boxes when I am cleaning them!) I watched her. The other cats all perch on the side of the litter box way up high from the actual litter or squat somewhat. Teiya on the other hand holds her butt right to the litter. So this is how she gets the poop on her cuz her fur is actually touching the litter. :yuck:

It's funny her sister, who has just as much fur (lots) on her back end is always spotless.

I agree with the suggestion that maybe you could try a wider box and see if that might help. Otherwise hopefully Maks will outgrown his poop walks. :o

Edited to add: Btw I couldn't wait to read this thread when I saw the title. I knew it would make me laugh.

krdahmer
November 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Ya poopy woes... I hear ya. :o Of course mine lately have been peepee woes! If I leave the house for more than 5 or 6 hours at a time I come home to a big puddle in front of the boxes to show their disgust!!

As for poop, he should get the hang of it soon enough, I know mine still have accidents now and then and poor Windy has a hell of a time with her long butt fur. But they are used to me following them around with the wipes by now. Windy never did get used to the butt bath though and still fights me to the death, crying and yelping like I'm torturing her! :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Well after getting up at 3:00 am and having to wash his poopy paws yet again, I realized I'm going to try changing his food.

The box upstairs is really big, so its not an issue of him not having enough space. I just think he's not coordinated enough, and probably a goofy kitty as sugarcatmom suggested.

But what I noticed last night is the poop is light brown, and looks soft and runny. So he might be having a food issue. If his poop was firmer then him stepping on it wouldn't produce such a mess. I mean, Vlad and Oksana both have a can in the morning and evening. They don't eat all of it, and they have dry at their disposal all day, and their poop is firm.

Thing is, Maks and Kiska both go and eat from Vlad and Oksana's wet when they get tired of theirs. So I'm thinking something may have upset his tummy to where he's got runny poop.

I'd like to try and find some canned pumpkin, since I've read some of you suggest that for firm stool, but all I ever seem to see at the grocery store is the kind for making pies. I'm going to try a health food market on my way home and see if they have some there.

This morning I left both him and Kiska, dry mixed with a little bit of canned. I hate to have to do that to Kiska too, but I've nowhere else to put her food for her that Maks won't get to, so she's got to eat the same thing. She didn't seem to mind though as much as he did.

If he keeps up like this I'm going to have to mention it to the vet next weekend when I take them for their vaccinations. I may have a kitty with tummy issues here.

14+kitties
November 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Hey ancient.......if you don't mind the extra work and have a freezer big enough......... fresh pumpkin can be frozen for 9 months safely. It would mean having to cut and cook it but then you would have a supply of it when needed.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm going to have to do that. It's really difficult to find regular canned pumpkin. I just called a couple of markets that specialize in health foods and such and they don't carry it.

I'm guessing any kind of pumpkin is good right? Or Squash?

I'll do anything to firm up the little guys poopies. I can't spend the next 15 or so years washing up after he poops. And he's home all day, getting poop everywhere!

Winston
November 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Ancientgirl! you should be able to buy a can at the grocery store...You just need to make sure it says pure pumkin and not pie filling..thats all...no need to spend alot at a specialty store...Maybe try less wet food and a little more dry until they ae a bit older and see if that helps..

Cindy

14+kitties
November 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know if pumpkin is the right thing. I just did a "google" and what I found is that pumpkin works for constipation, not the runs. Before I joined this forum I hadn't heard about the pumpkin thing.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/constipation.html

You may want to check it out.

http://cats.suite101.com/discussion.cfm/7369#message_43

Sorry, just did another check. Yogurt might be the way to go.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Ancientgirl! you should be able to buy a can at the grocery store...You just need to make sure it says pure pumkin and not pie filling..thats all...no need to spend alot at a specialty store...Maybe try less wet food and a little more dry until they ae a bit older and see if that helps..

Cindy

Will the pumpkin firm his poop a bit?

I'm just going to give him less wet. I had Vlad and Oksana on dry for most of their kittenhood and only started giving them a little canned fairly recently.

I may hold off on so much canned for all of them for a while. Vlad only has a few bites of it then goes for the dry, Oksana will have even less and go for the dry. Kiska will eat whatever you put in front of her. And Maks will complain about not getting his wet food.

But I think I'm just going to buy some high quality dry and see how it goes. They all like the Nutro Max, and I've noticed it does have protiens like chicken listed first and not chicken by products. I've also given them Eukaneuba which they like as well.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I don't know if pumpkin is the right thing. I just did a "google" and what I found is that pumpkin works for constipation, not the runs. Before I joined this forum I hadn't heard about the pumpkin thing.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/constipation.html

You may want to check it out.

Thanks for the link. I had thought the pumpkin was for the fiber and would firm him up.

Winston
November 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM
It works for both...It firms up the poop for both dogs and cats and I have used it in both cases..Although I think the dry kibble would be a better solution...You know my kitties were on dry for 10 years and I just started recently feeding wet with the kibble...They never had any problems on the dry alone...But now more often vets are promoting the wet food to be included...

It cant hurt to try the kibble and give them wet as a treat maybe once or twice a week....

The problem I have is getting mine to eat the wet food! They dont seem to like any type I buy! As Maks gets a little older he will figure out the whole litterbox thing...

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'm going to try the dry for a few days for all of them and leave the wet for a couple of times a week. As it is, Vlad and Oksana never finish what I give them, and they split one can between them. I think Kiska will eat whatever I put in front of her. And Maks will just have to deal with dry for a while.

I know he's just a kitty, and I know he's had a rough start of it, but I have to try and watch him more when he's in the litter box. He might not be standing correctly, or just moving around the poop right. Maybe I need to give him a helping hand, I dont' know. But I can't keep sticking him under the faucet each time he poops. Not to mention, I've got to wash my comforter when I get home. It's got poopy smudges :yuck:

krdahmer
November 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Ancient, there is also a shake you can add to their food that helps with digestion issues, helps to firm up the poop. I had to use it with Windy when I was switching food as she has a really sensitive belly, it worked great and I didn't have to keep switching foods, just used that till she got used to the new stuff. They sell it at most pet stores here, not sure about down there you'd have to ask around.

sugarcatmom
November 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I suspect, like krdahmer says, that it's a sensitive tummy issue, not a wet vs. dry thing. Maks' digestive system is probably just adjusting to new food and should eventually (I know, easy for me to say!) calm down. As long as it's not full-blown diarrhea, I would keep feeding canned but add some probiotics to it. Culturelle (http://www.culturelle.com/about_probiotics) is a good one that you should be able to find at a drug store.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Ancient, there is also a shake you can add to their food that helps with digestion issues, helps to firm up the poop. I had to use it with Windy when I was switching food as she has a really sensitive belly, it worked great and I didn't have to keep switching foods, just used that till she got used to the new stuff. They sell it at most pet stores here, not sure about down there you'd have to ask around.

Can you remember the name of that shake?

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I suspect, like krdahmer says, that it's a sensitive tummy issue, not a wet vs. dry thing. Maks' digestive system is probably just adjusting to new food and should eventually (I know, easy for me to say!) calm down. As long as it's not full-blown diarrhea, I would keep feeding canned but add some probiotics to it. Culturelle (http://www.culturelle.com/about_probiotics) is a good one that you should be able to find at a drug store.

You could be right. When I first brought him home, he ate like a bandit. He'd clean his plate in a nono second. Now he's eats what I put for him, then goes off and eats Vlad and Oksana's food, which is for adults.

I'm going to look for the culturelle. About how much do you think I should give him? Half a teaspoon?

onster
November 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
ancientgirl I feel ure pain.

Hazel wen through the exact same thing when he was 3-4months old. I constantly had to wash him from the waist down as well as his paws b/c of runny, almost gritty poop. It was all smeared down his backside too :|.

Hes perfectly fine now..what I did:

1) Time...it just took him time to adjust to new food etc
2) Changed his frood from orijen to wellness ( i think orijen was too much protein)..now Im on a weigth control food from the vet ( i know bad bad, but onnie was turning into a ball)
3) The vet gave me these sachets u put on their food by Purina to fix up his digestive system...im not at home now but when im back Ill post wht it was called. Works great.
4) very little variety foodwise. The minute he has something 'new' (eg. stolen bread/ new canned food) = runny poop.
5) First vet thought it was worms but sample showed nothing and over time it went away..do get it checked out tho cuz it is a posibility.
6) is his poop really stinky too? My guy had ridiculously stinky poo.

Good luck!

sugarcatmom
November 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM
3) The vet gave me these sachets u put on their food by Purina to fix up his digestive system...im not at home now but when im back Ill post wht it was called. Works great.

You're probably referring to FortiFlora (http://www.healthypets.com/fortiflora30.html), which does indeed work great. You can only get it from a vet (or online, but presumably that would take longer).

3) 2) Changed his frood from orijen to wellness ( i think orijen was too much protein)..now Im on a weigth control food from the vet ( i know bad bad, but onnie was turning into a ball)

Eeeek! Please reconsider the diet dry food. There is seriously nothing worse that you can feed your cat. A good canned food fed a couple times a day is far better for weight loss than ANY dry. It just has way too many carbohydrates for a carnivore. Here's some more info for you: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
ancientgirl I feel ure pain.

Hazel wen through the exact same thing when he was 3-4months old. I constantly had to wash him from the waist down as well as his paws b/c of runny, almost gritty poop. It was all smeared down his backside too :|.

Hes perfectly fine now..what I did:

1) Time...it just took him time to adjust to new food etc
2) Changed his frood from orijen to wellness ( i think orijen was too much protein)..now Im on a weigth control food from the vet ( i know bad bad, but onnie was turning into a ball)
4) very little variety foodwise. The minute he has something 'new' (eg. stolen bread/ new canned food) = runny poop.
5) First vet thought it was worms but sample showed nothing and over time it went away..do get it checked out tho cuz it is a posibility.
6) is his poop really stinky too? My guy had ridiculously stinky poo.

Good luck!

Stinky? OMG the whole apartment smelled of it. And when he got back into bed after he went I could smell it the second he started walking towards me. Poor little guy, he's already getting used to the waist down baths.

I'm going to ask the vet about something sugarcatmom suggested. I give them Nutro Max both canned and dry. If he doesn't have any worms or parasites then perhaps some kind of a supplement.

I can't exactly put a diaper on the little guy, but I also don't want to keep going through this same exercise for lord knows how long.

want4rain
November 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
didnt you talk about going raw at one point?? im with sugarcatmom.. please please dont feed dry any more than you have to, i know wets expensive but kibble is really unhealthy for cats. yours are so young and healthy. now is a really good time to set their eating habits and going with more dry would be very hard to go back from.

if Maks poo looks bad, i STRONGLY urge you to look into going raw. my cats hardly poo anymore. when they do its nice and firm but not hard. they all use to have pasty poos on dry.

-ashley

onster
November 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
yes its fortiflora (btw does anyone know if its ok to give that to the cats when its expired?? My vet gave it to me then when i got home i noticed it expired 2 months earlier, called vet said it was ok..i wasnt charged for it and since they said it was fine i fig'd it be ok).

As for stinky stinky poo....it was VILE. He had a bowel movement when i took him to get neutered and the vet techs almost died, lol. It does get better though! :)

As for food, I think maybe ill start a thread on it in the food section because i dont want to hijack ancientgirls thread more than I already have...

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I did think about going raw at one point. I'm just so afraid of not getting the right food, or getting something that has parasites in it, I don't know.

I was buying for them the Wellness food but they didn't like it.

I need to seriously just talk to their vet. I see their usual vet next week and I'm going to tell her my concerns with dry food and canned. She's pretty open minded so maybe she can help me out.

sugarcatmom
November 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM
yes its fortiflora (btw does anyone know if its ok to give that to the cats when its expired?? My vet gave it to me then when i got home i noticed it expired 2 months earlier, called vet said it was ok..i wasnt charged for it and since they said it was fine i fig'd it be ok).

It won't cause any harm, just might be a little less potent if anything.

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2007, 04:49 PM

As for stinky stinky poo....it was VILE. He had a bowel movement when i took him to get neutered and the vet techs almost died, lol. It does get better though! :)

As for food, I think maybe ill start a thread on it in the food section because i dont want to hijack ancientgirls thread more than I already have...

Don't worry about that. It's all in the name of information and getting other's experience. But I will look into that thread when you open it. I know other people feed raw, but I can't get past my fear of giving them bad meat.

onster
November 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM
thanks ancientgirl...ive decided i wont start a thread now, partly cuz i already know that wet is better and raw the best (from wht ive read), but it seems I can do wet only b/c then hazel has poo from hell.

As for raw..well, im a microbiologist. enough said, lol. Well no, I mean I know its great for them but I would need to set up my house differently, live @ home with open house plan and mom would freak. that and like i sad im a microbiologist and after all wht ive studied i cant make myself eat leftovers/ anthing thats been sitting out at all, so raw is beyond me...i think its all in my head tho.

14+kitties
November 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Hey ancientgirl...... how is Maks doing today with the poopy adventures? I really feel for the little one.
And btw, is he named for the Maks from DWTS by chance???

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I took him to the vet last night. He's got tummy parasites. I have 3 different meds I'll be giving him for the next several days that should eradicate the nasties, and the vet told me to have him on dry for a week.

He also told me I can give them plain yogurt since the cultures will help their tummies. I'm also going to look for that fortiflora feline so that I can give that to them now and then and hopefully keep them regular.

I don't know what DWTS is. I named him Maks, because I've always liked the name Maximillian, and in Russian it's spelled Maksimillian, so he's Maks.

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Don't worry about that. It's all in the name of information and getting other's experience. But I will look into that thread when you open it. I know other people feed raw, but I can't get past my fear of giving them bad meat.

yeah i had loads of issues with that too but i stuck my toe in... no one died... gave meat that was 3 days from the market, still under expiration date mind you... and they wouldnt eat it... and no one died. we had the one hang up with crystals with Shadow because i gave him too much calcium but that was MY mistake. i stopped him up.

you are considerably smarter than i am... and i can do it. my last lab work up was on Shadow and the vet said his labs looked fantastic.

just keep in mind variety is best, 10% organ meat, 80% muscle meat and 10% bone and toss in gizzards and heart once a week (one of those $1.50 packs) and you are good to go!! its REALLY that easy. run some vinegar over the floor when they are done... heck i do it with kids in the house. :)

i find keeping greens available works for our fuzzies. the 'organic spring mix' salad from SAMS goes a long way with them. by the end of the week of the whole house sharing it we have very little left over.

i think you should give it a shot, at least look into how unhealthy an omnivores diet is for them, let alone dry food.

-ashley

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm guessing you have a really good meat grinder. I think I'd have to at least invest in something like that.

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
no way!! my rug rats... last night i stuck a whole chicken on the floor (i was walking out the door!) and they went to town on it. Mister got the rest when i got home. i couldnt have done that a few months ago but they went for it. when you start by warming a breast up, chopping... then you move to not warmed up (ie slightly cooked) but still chopped up... they learn to rip and chew it which is REALLY REALLY good for their teeth!! let me tell you- Hunter had REALLY bad gingivitis and plaque build up. teeth cleaning and clavamox 2Xyearly. our vet was stunned at the improvement in his mouth. no more cleanings, no more clavamox. perfect pearly whites. the moisture and teeth cleaning are both the biggest benefits of raw feeding. you can find mostly meat foods like Evo but they are still dry and still not cleaning teeth. plenty of canned foods that are mostly meat but again, not cleaning teeth. i am probably the most flexable, least likely to glue myself to ANYTHING because there is merit to just about anything but i would go back from this for anything. the plus list is much much bigger than the minus and heck most of the minus list is all misconceptions anyway.

-ashley

14+kitties
November 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hey ancientgirl...... how is Maks doing today with the poopy adventures? I really feel for the little one.
And btw, is he named for the Maks from DWTS by chance???

I'm glad he will be getting better. :fingerscr for him for speedy recovery.
DWTS..... Dancing With The Stars. One of the professional dancers on it is named Maks. He has a Russian heritage as well I imagine. :offtopic: I know. Just thought spelling was unusual. And he's cute too ;) just like your Maks

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
and when i say chopped i mean i take a breast and cut it into 4 pieces across the bone so each piece has a little bone in it. not diced or anything silly like that. look at how big they can open their mouths and make it abotu that thick. they start our scissoring the meat where as later they will pull chunks off. i NOW usually cut a breast in half, half a breast per cat.

i also offer a bowl of 2 eggs beaten really well, no shell. they can partake or not. they usually do though. thats in the morning.

-ash

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM
What about beef? Do you give them beef too?

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
the first few times i gave them beef they ralfed it up.

now im taking little pinches of it snd sticking it in the folds of the chicken along with ground up pork and turkey because those also got ralfed up. i think its just a sensitivity problem. no issues with it. i have two cats who get slivers of beef heart when i give it to Mister.

they get as a base diet turkey and chicken, then you can find chicken hearts and gizzards easy. those count as muscle meat. liver falls under organs and shoudl be at least 5% of their diet. i snick pieces of pork kidneys and beef liver into their chicken breast too. they eat it that way but if i put a plate of it out the boys wouldnt touch it. SOMETIMES Shadow picks his hidden things out but not often. he is my pickiest.

as a treat i will pick up a corning game hen for each of them. they really like that!! its a lot for one cat to eat but its a splurge. :) no one is fat but Baby Girl and frankly im glad to see some weight on her. she is up to 12lbs?? thats probably once a month, once every 6 weeks?? they are a little pricey.

oh and lamb, ive stuck little slivers of lamb in there too. as long as its not a whole meal, the boys dont ralf it up. im hoping to get them to the point wher they can eat it regularly.

-ash

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'll try to work my courage up after Maks' tummy issues are over and he's off the medication. I can get them some chicken thighs and see how that goes.

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM
thighs are good but thats lots of bone. i make sure they dont eat all of the bone from that.

you eat chicken often?? what you coudl do is take the part of the breast that has the fatty cluster yuck in it and chop it off after you seared it some. cook the rest for you and offer that to them. see who eats it and who doesnt.

you know what else you coudl do, take the meat and get some really rolling boil and just blanch the outside of the chicken, dip it in for... 10 seconds or so??? then chop it up and give it to them. that should kill most of the bacteria on it if thats what worries you. :)

also, i dont know if i mentioned this before but i use to use a thymol based cleaner (totally non toxic) to clean the floors after they ate but they didnt like it for some reason. now i use vinegar to clean up afterwards and ONLY use vinegar on the floors in there now (for many reasons) but mostly because its totally non toxic and they dont mind whatever residual taste is left on the food. i, of course, have never licked the floor to see the difference but they made it clear THEY didnt like it.

-ash

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I do eat a lot of chicken. Whenever I make some I save some extra and put it on a plate for Vlad and Oksana. Vlad loves it, and Oksana will have a bit too. I'll have to try the same for the little ones after this parasite crisis is over.

It's the bacteria that worries me, and especially after having to go through two of my babies with tummy parasites in the last 2 months, I'm even more paranoid.

Do you freeze what they don't eat then thaw it in the microwave or in water?

sugarcatmom
November 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
It's the bacteria that worries me, and especially after having to go through two of my babies with tummy parasites in the last 2 months, I'm even more paranoid.

Seriously, the bacteria and mycotoxins in dry food are a much bigger concern. Way more pets have died eating commercial dry food than raw meat.

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/content.asp?id=192&cat=dogs

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Jeez, now I'm afraid to feed then anything. :sad:

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM
ive asked around a bit... some of the parasites made me nervous... to find out that the last HUMAN to have any of the really nasty ones (ie no cure or does irreversible damage) was decades ago. the cases of these issues found in companion pets are maybe 1 a year?? many of the parasites they can get from poultry or pork or cows is more of an issue with they bugs they eat, the dirt you bring in on your feet and not properly sanitizing their water bowls. be aware that toxoplasmosis is a concern in the sense that if you were to get pregnant, get them tested but realize they are far far more likely to get it from a mouse in the house than eating anything from your grocer.

in other words.... not an issue. millions of pets across the nation walk across the same floor others do, millions of pets touch dirt.... go a few days without having their water BUCKETS cleaned and my cats eat enough bugs over a year to feed a small nation.

to top it off, the boost to your Fantastic Four by eating a diet that doesnt stress their bodies and only adds outstanding nutrition will fight off anything from intestinal parasites to skin parasites, silly colds...

have some faith. :) cats were eating raw meat for millions of years. they became the magnificent creatures we know them as now. without that one vital part of their evolution... we all would ahve had rabbits now.

-ash

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Bunnies! LOL I like bunnies to, but I love my kitties more.

I have to say, I was sitting here thinking how the heck those parasites occur, but its unavoidable here. I regularly and am constantly hand vacuuming small ants around their bowls. Not to mention the pieces of dead roach carcasses I find here and there. I'm thinking it's likely they get the parasites from those things.

I'm going to go by a few markets, and have a look at the meat section. There's a farmers market close to me and maybe I can talk to the butcher there and see if he can concoct something for me to buy once a week.

I'd like to wait until Maks is all better though. Honestly, I'm over the poopy tracks all over the apartment. And I'm sure he's none too pleased with being stuck in the sink every day to get that stuff off of him.

sugarcatmom
November 29th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ancientgirl, you might want to read these links about raw-feeding myths:

http://rawfed.com/myths/parasites.html
http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

They're geared towards dogs, but the premise is the same. Not that I'm trying to be a "raw pusher" or anything, just FYI.

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for those links. I'll be giving them a read. I'd like to also try and find a butcher that might be able to help me get some good cuts of meat for them.

I know I've been thinking about this for a while, but I still want to read a little more about it. My comfort level needs to be high first. I know, I'm just a worry wart.

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Not that I'm trying to be a "raw pusher" or anything, just FYI.

:o sorry!

-ash

ancientgirl
November 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM
:laughing: No worries people.

It's good to have information and we all want to do what we can to keep our little ones healthy.

sugarcatmom
November 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM
:o sorry!

-ash

Oh no, I think it's awesome how much info you have to share about feeding raw! Especially the fact that you use the "whole prey" method. I say keep spreading the word. I just don't want people to think that I'm saying they HAVE to feed raw or their pets will die. :D

want4rain
November 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
HA! ive always been worried abotu coming off as too passionate about things but diet and nutrition (finned, furried and skinned) has always been a huge interest of mine. i think its totally nuts that folks eat foods that are synthetic, chemical filled, over processed and then do obvious bad things like not exercise, smoke ciggs and spray cleaning solvents all over the house, frequent tanning salons... then have the nerve to be surprised they have cancer, heart failure or diabetes!!

to think its ANY different for our companions is silly.

BUT to balance that out, i totally understand why some folks feed commercial food just as much as i understand we eat McDonalds on occasion and I SMOKE CIGGS socially... im just not surprised i have a thyroid disease nor will i be if i turn up with cancer. :)

-ashley

14+kitties
November 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I live be the adage...... If you can't do everything with a passion, then don't do it at all! :offtopic: but had to add my :2cents:

ancientgirl
December 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Crap! Pardon the pun. Maks was doing so well. firm poop, no poopy paws and just a little while ago, AGAIN!

I suspect it might have something to do with the fact I gave him a little bit of plain yogurt this morning. I made sure it was just plain whole yogurt. I won't give it to him again and just keep him on the meds and dry food for the next week.

14+kitties
December 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
:grouphug: for Maks. Poor baby!!

ancientgirl
December 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
I felt so bad for him. He's been doing so well too.

Hopefully he'll be back on track tomorrow. No more yogurt!!!!

krdahmer
December 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Aw Maks! :grouphug: Poor little guy.

Hope he gets back on track once that yogurt is outta his little system!

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Me too. I haven't seen him go today, but I'll keep a watch out to see what it looks like.

Now I've got a huge tub of plain yogurt to dispose of. I guess I can just add some sugar to it and have it myself.

sugarcatmom
December 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Now I've got a huge tub of plain yogurt to dispose of. I guess I can just add some sugar to it and have it myself.

:offtopic:Throw it in the blender with some frozen fruit and make a smoothie! Or eat it with muesli and a banana. I :lovestruck: yogurt.

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Oh you know, I hadn't thought of that. Next time I do the shopping I'll get some fruit, and they have some granola at the bakery I could use too.

want4rain
December 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
sweeten with honey. not only is it better for you but it actually mixes in without leaving in crunching. :) i put together the kids stuff, frozen fruit (or fresh berries) and honey and a touch of Cascadian Farms granola cereal. YUMM!!

-ash

ancientgirl
December 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm going to get some granola next time I go to the grocery store. I noticed they had some at the bakery. I'm not throwing it away, its a huge tub.