Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitty is way too small?

killthenakedcat
November 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Alright, my cat Bittles had kittens on August 4th so they are almost 4 months old now(WOW!!!) Anyways 2 of the kittens we gave away and we kept 2 of the others. The one kitten is HUGE almost as big as his mother but the other one, who I call "Little Beasty" looks as if she hasn't grown in 2 months, she weighs about 2 pounds and when I pet her all I feel is fur and bones. She has been tiny since birth but she wasn't even the smallest one in the litter. She is kind of calm and walks funny as if her back legs were made of wood. My older sister Melanie, who knows a lot about cats said she might be retarded...anyone else know what could cause this.....ALSO she does eat and drink sufficient amounts of food...could it be an intestinal parasite?

14+kitties
November 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM
The small size may not be an issue. I have some small babies too. Has she been inbred re: retardation comment? Has she been wormed? There are too many possibilities for a definite answer on here. A vet is your best bet if you are worried.

Element~5
November 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I would check with your vet, but if she is eating/drinking well, and still not gaining weight, I would get her tested for parasites. Is her tummy bloated at all?

krdahmer
November 27th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Could be a parasite or a tapeworm, or she could just be small, I have one of my six that had a tape worm and has stayed very thin and dainty ever since. I would take her to see the vet, and rule out worms/ parasites etc and have the vet check her legs too. Only a vet can give you a good answer. If she is eating and drinking and using the litter box, I would imagine it isn't anything too serious.