Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mary

mrichards
November 27th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Hello; My name is MAry and I am In Los Angeles. We have a nearly 14 yo female German Shepherd who has been very healthy other than arthritis and environmental allergies. Her hips have been xrayed a few yrs ago and I was told she has perfect hips. She is such a joy!
About 6 mos ago she was running up on our deck and fell; splat onto the step. She looked as surprized as I was but got up and went on. Since that time I have noticed her back legs seem to be going outwards and getting even more so that when she turns around quickly she falls. She does not appear to be in any pain and touching or rubbing her hind quaters produces no objections. When she sees squirrels she runs after them as always. :)
She weighs 80 lbs; eats Senior dry food; gets treats but not excessively; very little people food. TAkes allergy meds and a vetbio pwder is added to her food for the arthritis.
When she urinates she is ok but to deficate she is having more difficulty squating.
CAn you help?

badger
November 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I would say that she is getting a little arthritic in the hindquarters and might need more of what you're giving her or something stronger like Metacam.
Welcome to the board. We'd love to see a picture of your 'oldster'.

allymack
November 27th, 2007, 09:43 PM
hey, welcome to the board! i second the request for pictures :)

mona_b
November 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Has she seen the vet since you noticed this?If not then I suggest you do so.

My first GSD ended up with Rhumitoid(sp) arthritis(the worse kind stated by the vets)..His hind never went outwords.He did loose alot of muscle mass in his hind legs and never showed pain untill the end.

My current GSD is 11 and has some arthritis(never switched him to senior)..shows no pain and still a puupy at heart...:)