Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How much urine is a 2 month old kitten supposed to release?

Jack1337
November 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure if my cat releases the right amount of urine for her age.
Now, guys, I know this is going to sound extra lame, but could someone just taker a pic and show me just how much urine is normal for a 2 month old kitten? She is fine, but you know how those crystals and infections and stuff work, I want to be sure my cat is healthy.

Also, if I ask the vet about it, would it be difficult for him to determine whether or not everything is alright with my cat when it comes to peeing and stuff?

sugarcatmom
November 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM
She is fine, but you know how those crystals and infections and stuff work, I want to be sure my cat is healthy.

It's been a long time since I've had a kitten so I can't answer that (or take any pee pics for ya!), but my adult cat pees 2 or 3 times a day. As for making sure your cat stays healthy, diet is probably one of the biggest factors. What are you feeding her?

Jack1337
November 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Well, I know I'm not supposed to be feeding her dry food, but the breeder told us to keep her on that, plus milk until she turns 3 months.
I didn't like the idea from the start, but since the lady told us to do it I decided to go along with it.
She isn't lactose intolerant, thats for sure, she drinks a lot of milk and has normal, solid poop and poops with ease from what I can tell.

But the amount of urine she has worries me, I mean, I must admit, the internet isn't very helpful when it comes to info on pets and stuff, there are no well organized, very active sites with all sorts of info and what info is posted on sites is vague and pretty much the same everywhere.

I mean, come on, I haven't found a single site that compares a healthy to an unhealthy cat or anything, they just list symptoms and let you wonder and worry.
I'm a gamer, and for VIDEO GAMEs we have more organized, better designed sites than there are for living, breathing things like our pets, this is probably the best pet forum I managed to find so far.

It's not that I'm paranoid, I mean, everyone is, but the least these pet sites should do is show pics, compare stuff, let people know whats what. </rant>

lol, well sorry about the rant there :)
and thanks a lot for letting me know how often your cats pee, mine definitely pees more than 2-3 times a day, but I take it thats because she is still young, like when my dog was still a pup she'd pee like 10 times a day and later it got reduced to two or three times.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have two 3 month old kittens, and they pee at least several times a day. I leave them plenty of water to drink, so they go regularly.

I also have them on both dry and wet food. I've been giving my other two the same, dry and wet since they were both kittens and they are both 8 and 9 months old and very healthy.

I've always heard that all cats are lactose intolerant, so the only time I've ever even given them anything milk related was catsip, which is a milk made for cats. I'm not sure how healthy it is to give a cat milk, but I'm fairlly new to the wonderful world of cats too.

Longblades
November 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I know this is not the point of this thread but not all cats are lactose intolerant. However, it might not be fun for you or the cat trying to find out which can tolerate milk and which cannot. One of my dearest memories is Grandpa milking the cows by hand and shooting a stream at the line of waiting cats. They were used to it though, and were weaned off of mother's milk and on to cow's milk and that may be an important point.

Jack1337
November 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM
TBH I only heard about this milk intolerance a couple months ago, the cat I had when I was a kid used to drink milk without any problems, and other cats I know don't seem to have any problems with milk.
Of course, you have to buy, good, high quality milk.

So, Ms. ancientgirl :) How big were the "puddles" of pee, if you can call em that considering they're in a litter, and a clumping one at that on average for your kittens when they were 2 months old?

Element~5
November 26th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I haven't owned kittens in quite a while now, but I know that we have them come into our clinic every now and then, and we are always told...water only. The amount of urine should depend on how much they are drinking too. If you're giving your kitten a lot of milk and water and she is drinking it all, she's going to pee a lot too :D

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM
TBH I only heard about this milk intolerance a couple months ago, the cat I had when I was a kid used to drink milk without any problems, and other cats I know don't seem to have any problems with milk.
Of course, you have to buy, good, high quality milk.

So, Ms. ancientgirl :) How big were the "puddles" of pee, if you can call em that considering they're in a litter, and a clumping one at that on average for your kittens when they were 2 months old?

I'd say for the kittens they would be the size of a golf ball, maybe a little bigger. I see several of those in the box daily, along with the really big ones from the older ones. They poop on an average of once to twice a day and its mostly firm. I do feed them wet in the morning, leave dry out for them to nibble on during the day, then another can in the evening. But the kibble is always out for all of them.

It took me a while to know what was normal and not. Like I said, I'm still fairly new to all of this and every little thing for me is cause for concern or questions. My older ones are only 8 and 9 months old so I'm still a newbie too.:D

But the good thing is you can always come here and find several people who have had the same experience so its nice to know you have a place to go for your questions, no matter how silly you might think they are.

Jack1337
November 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You mean the whole pee ball is the size of a golf ball, like after it clumps or just the wet spot?

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 07:11 PM
You mean the whole pee ball is the size of a golf ball, like after it clumps or just the wet spot?

Sorry, yeah after it clumps. I use Swheat Scoop, which clumps hard.