Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need a good food for allergy?

MollysMommy
November 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
My toy poodle Molly has been taking hydroxizine for her seasonal allergies for about a year and a half now and usually, it is successful as well as she starts to feel better this time of year, so I'm a bit concerned that the last month or so she just can't stop scratching.

Unless I put a sweater on her, she scratches her chest raw, so I'm beginning to think she's developed an allergy to something in her food. She's been eating Sold Gold Hund n Flocken for over a year now. The protein in it is lamb.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=1&code=100

Do you think she's allergic to the lamb or to the rice? Any suggestions on foods to switch her to? I was considering Wellness's Fish and Sweet Potato or Wellness Simple Food Solutions.

http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/dog_wellness_simple_food_solutions_index.html

Any help here?

Goldens4Ever
November 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM
The allergy could be either the lamb, the rice, or both. You need to determine what you dog's nutrient needs are (protein, fat, etc.) & then find the food that matches. However, I would stick with GRAIN-FREE formulas & steer clear of anything containing lamb.

I would also encourage you to encorporate Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil into the daily regimen. My clients dogs have allergies issues, & they all have experienced fantastic results from the use of this product, in addition to other products and foods.

geisha
November 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM
You may also want to try an elimination diet. Try introducing a novel protein in your dog's diet and feed that exclusively for 12 weeks if tolerated. Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato, California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato or any Timberwolf Organics Dog Food that doesnot contain Lamb or Rice would be fine. After the 12 weeks slowly introduce lamb then rice into the diet to confirm if your pup is allergic to it.
Carrots, beans or veggies are fine for treats.
Talk to your vet as well.
Good luck:thumbs up