Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeling a little sad

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
In my apartment complex there are 4 cats. There is one orange tabby, who I see sometimes on someone's balcony eating food, along with a long haired Tortie. There is also a white cat I see now and then, and another tortie, who has short hair.

I feel the most for the short haired tortie. My heart just goes out to her. She doesn't look thin, she looks quite healthy, but for some reason this kitty just makes my eyes tear up when I think of her. I feed her whenever I see her and she's actually come to where she doesn't run from me.

I wish so badly I could take her in, but right now I've hit the maximum room both in my apartment and with my purse strings. I wish so badly someone would give her a home. I always feel bad for strays I see, but I just don't know why I feel so much more for her.

If I trapped her I'd have to take her to the vet and have her checked, and I just don't have the money right now, and I feel guilty as heck for not being able to help her more. I just want to cry right now thinking of her.

I hate whoever dumped her there. If she does have an owner, I hate them for allowing her to run around like she does.

Why couldn't the lord grant me just a little more space and a little more money for me to take care of this girl. Her face haunts me at times, and I pray every day someone takes her in. :pray:

Sorry guys, I just needed to vent. I swear, if the lord granted me my wish, and enabled me to have a bigger space, and move, I'd take her with me.

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I TRY to tell myself we can't save them all :sad: isn't there a rescue in your area that could take her ? If you tell them she's a good and affectionate cat ? Or a none kill shelter ?

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I don't know of any rescues in my area, and as it is, whenever I go to Petco or Petsmart I see the poor things in the windows waiting for homes.

I know, you are right, we can't save them all. But I try to tell myself she's at least safe to a degree. She mainly hangs out in the area where there is shelter and I don't think she actually goes out into the street. And like I said, she doesn't look emaciated or anything. I guess right now all I can do is just give her food when I see her. I can buy a few extra cans when i get some for my own.

And maybe one day in the near future, like I said, god will grant me my wish and I'll be able to get a bigger place and bring her with me.

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I know you will do your best :grouphug:

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's really all we can do isn't it? :sad:

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
It's really all we can do isn't it? :sad:

Yep , but more and more people are into animal causes so it can only get better and better :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
That's true. I think much of it has to do with awareness from Animal Planet, and also the internet has helped a lot.

At least these days there are more people willing to help.

badger
November 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I really sympathize, ancientgirl. There's a black cat in my alley who comes looking for food every night. I think s/he uses my shelter as well. The chances of bringing her inside are zero. Living outside is stressful but by feeding and befriending her you are already making it that much better.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks, I do feel better knowing she at least has a shelter, and is being fed, if not by me she must be fed by others too.

clm
November 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM
You're concerned about her, that more than a lot of people I'm sure.

If I took in every cat that came across my path, I'd have my own shelter by now, (I often thought that if I ever won the lottery, I'd buy the old Ministry of Transportation road test site and convert it into a shelter of my own, ha, ha.) I don't have room to be able to take in any more pets at this point, it's just not possible.

I feed the strays twice a day and I have 3 shelters with warm blankets for those who want kitty comfort and some prefer to sleep under the safety of the junipers in the rock garden and the font garden. Breaks my heart that they're been abandoned or forgotten, but I do what I can for them, and I look forward to seeing them every day.

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
It's great that you at least have a house. I can only hope the ones around my complex take advantage of the area that's sometimes used for gatherings. It's like a picnic area but nobody ever goes there. I hope that since she hangs around there she sleeps behind the bar area or at the very least under the cover of the building. If I had one of the downstairs apartments, with a little balcony area I'd make a little house for her.

I have to stop thinking about it. It's really depressing me and I can't let myself get that way. I'm already on anxiety and depression medication. I just have to keep telling myself she's as well as she can be right now.

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM
:grouphug: to you! If I was closer I would take her. I could sneak her in with my brood and hubby would never know there was another one! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
I really feel for you but you honestly are doing the very best you can. Keep it up! I know she appreciates you.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks. I really hope someone adopts her. She's such a sweet thing.

mummummum
November 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Ancientgirl here's the thing. You are responsible for the well-being of every living thing on this planet. That is a gift. You have compassion and empathy ~ not everyone does so see it as it is ~ a gift.

In terms of ensuring welfare ~ you do what you can.

Should you do more than you can? Only you can answer that. But remember that as you do more than you can, you rob yourself ~ and that has it's own consequences.

chico2
November 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Aww ancientgirl,you are wonderful just feeding her and looking out for her,at least you are in Miami and the horrible cold is not an issue.
Here,just the idea that some cats are out there,trying to find a warm spot,is just heartbreaking.
Luckily I have not seen any strays,there are 4 cats around,one a beautiful Calico is driving my boys nuts,but she has a home as do the other 3,but they are always let outside on their own:sad:

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
:grouphug::cry: You know it is really so sad that there are so many kitties out there wandering with no soft spot to call home... but what amazes me is how many of us look at them and wish we could give them all a home, squeeze in just a few more.... I think that says a lot about the good in people. I can't understand a person seeing a homeless animal and not having their heart break each and every time like mine does. And I know you can say that we can only do so much, and that we can't save them all, but darnit I'd sure like to try!!!

And clm, I have had that same thought many times... if I ever had the money... and I've already warned my hubby that when we have our own house, I will have a shed/ barn with heat etc so that I can foster loads of kitties. Every minute I can give them I think means something...

The only comfort I have is that I pray, for each and every one of them every time I see them and every night before I go to bed... that they find a warm safe place, a good meal, and love. Until I can do more, that is what I have to offer. And I find it comforting in some small way to think that maybe, just maybe my prayers are heard and some do make it, and find a good home, and have happy endings. And I see that everyday on this site... like with you and your Vlad and Oksana, and Maks and Kiska... two kittens that had you not been like me and unable to say no, may still be in some cage somewhere... or worse. And like 14+, God Bless her for caring for more than most could ever hope to help.

It's you all and your big hearts that make me feel hopeful that maybe one day... I won't have to cry almost daily over the poor innocent ones that never find their warm spot. :grouphug::grouphug::cat::cat::dog::dog::o

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'm going to do what I can to at least make sure she has one good meal a day. Two if I can swing it. I can buy a little extra food, and yes the good thing is we here in Florida don't have those incredibly cold days.

I'm going to keep a watch on her. If my some miracle I come by some extra money, I'll try to catch her and take her to the vet and have her checked out. Maybe even find her a home with someone else, or keep her myself. I don't know if she's really friendly.

She's very cautious, but she does allow me to come near her, and she did let me pet her once. Maybe, with a little time she will come to trust me and I can make her my own. I'm going to pray every night for her safety. I guess I just have to leave it to what spirit guided me to Vlad, then to Oksana and finally to Kiska and Maks.

t.pettet
November 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I can so relate to all you guys, everytime I hear about some lucky person winning a lottery I so hope they're animal lovers and will somehow help out the strays either directly or in-directly. My future winnings have been spent over and over again with new no-kill shelters, free spay/neuter clinics etc. etc. etc.

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for those kind words krdahmer! But really, I am a very selfish person. Those babies give me more love and hugs and kisses than any one person deserves!
Ancientgirl - hang in there. We are all rooting for that kitty. :goodvibes:

Dracko
November 27th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I can so relate to all you guys, everytime I hear about some lucky person winning a lottery I so hope they're animal lovers and will somehow help out the strays either directly or in-directly. My future winnings have been spent over and over again with new no-kill shelters, free spay/neuter clinics etc. etc. etc.

Ditto for me. There'd be some pampered animals out there if I won a lottery. Mind you, I'd have to start buying tickets first. :o

chico2
November 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Dahmer,I've always thought this Forum has some of the greatest people in the world,people who will go above and beyond to help little helpless creatures,you all deserve a huge :grouphug:

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 08:32 AM
One animal at a time. It's all we can do. If everyone out there helped at least one animal, or learned just a bit of responsiblity then there wouldn't be strays.

I did feel a little more encouraged today. When I went downstairs to give her some food, I've decided to call her Czarina, she was already eating some food someone had left for her. When I was setting her food out yesterday a man came out of the door next to her and he smiled. I think he might be feeding her too.

At least I know I'm not the only one feeding her so I know there are other's looking out for her.:D

chico2
November 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
That's great,a full tummy is half the battle :thumbs up
Czarina,that's a great name,will make her feel like a queen:cat:
Maybe your neighbor will eventually take her in,with pointers from you..

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I think he's just some old guy that works there during the day, but at least he seems to be feeding her too. And the place she hangs out has plenty of shelter, so I know she won't get rained on or anything.

I need to start playing the lottery. I like many here would do so much with that money to help strays. One of my best friends, she's got two dogs, always says the same thing. I think its a dream we all have.

14+kitties
November 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I did feel a little more encouraged today. When I went downstairs to give her some food, I've decided to call her Czarina, she was already eating some food someone had left for her. When I was setting her food out yesterday a man came out of the door next to her and he smiled. I think he might be feeding her too.

Are you sure her name shouldn't be Mooch? :laughing: Sounds like she is doing pretty well is she is being fed by more than you! :D You are so lucky to be living in the sunny South. If it was here I would be more worried about her. As long as she is staying away from the roads and being fed she is probably a happy girl.

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 11:09 AM
LOL, she's smart if she's getting it from all directions.

None of the cats in the complex seem like they go too far out from there. It's a fairly big place so they really don't have any need to be running around in the streets. And the coldest time here is maybe 2 or 3 weeks at the end of December where the temperature might drop to the low 40's or 50's, but that's just in the morning. By the afternoon it goes up to about 70. So its not bad.

14+kitties
November 27th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Yep, you don't want to know how cold we get ;)
I hope you are feeling better about her today.
I could use a lottery win as well. I know where the first monies would go! Catuary would be a LOT bigger!! But don't tell hubby cause he thinks it would go to a new house.
:thumbs up to you!

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I do feel better today. I have to go to the grocery store and get some cat food and some litter and I'll pick up a bit extra for her. But I don't feel as bad today.

Still, the day I move, if I move to a house, she's coming with me.

badger
November 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I find that if I limit my thinking to now, what can I do today to make their lives better (getting the food out the minute it gets dark, putting some kind of improvised shelter where I know they go, etc), it helps with the long-term angst. It's when I can't do anything at all, such as for my neighbour's pit bull, that things really weigh on me.

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Badger, it does help, to know that at least you are doing something, anything to make that little animal's life just a little bit better.

I had two cats, and when I got another two, I figured, well its just a little extra food. So what's an extra few cans for one more cat that doesn't have what mine have.

I don't know, maybe she likes living outdoors, running around, but at least she will have food on a regular basis.