Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update - The big snip!

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I phoned Guelph Vet College today. No luck. They told me they only do referrals and did not give names for vets so..... back to square one.
I have decided to go with Niagara Pet Hospital in Grassie. Have appt scheduled for my 2 oldest boys on Thurs, Dec 6. Price is $83 for males, $140 for females plus $20.00 for rabies and pre-op. He is giving me a break on that. It is normally $31. Same day op. and home with 3 days of quiet. As if with 12 other angels welcoming them back! I guess they become house cats for a few days which I am sure my toy will just love. She is very mommy jealous. We also bring in the lab mix at night when it is cold.
I am thinking a big crate for sleeping and recoup will work well. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions to help make recoup easier?
Thought I would add pics of the victims.......errrrrrr babies that are being done. First one is Meowzer, 6 months and HUGE! I see Brownie managed to get in pic too. Second one is Spazzy, my wild one.

badger
November 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Good move to do the older (and presumably dominant) males first. You may be surprised how fast the recoup goes; they might be a little sleepy but after a few hours usually back to normal. But three days luxury inside might be nice :) and if there are any problems - highly unlikely - you'll be able to spot them.

:thumbs up to you.

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Have you contacted any rescues about helping with costs/ taming/ or adoptions? Or that SNIP program (I'm not sure how it works... they help pay for spay/neuter but I have no idea how you go about it...maybe try a google?)

Other than that, best of luck to the boys! I'm sure they'll have a speedy recovery.

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hi krdahmer. I hadn't heard about the SNIP program until you mentioned it. Darn, wish I would have. I am still going to check it out. There's a lot more kitties that need done. As far as taming and adoption, I would have a very hard time deciding which ones I could give up. The taming part is ok with me. They line up along the fence waiting for me to get there once they see me coming out of the house. It's sooo cute. :lovestruck: I figure as long as I can afford to feed and vet them I know that they are safe and not going to a house where they may be turned out again. It's the spay and neutering we have to get past.
I should take pics of their "catuary". It is really the perfect place for kitties and their home is so warm inside hubby is afraid I will move in there with them.
Thanks for pointing me in SNIP's direction. Going to check it out now. :)

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Oh yes please post pics of the catuary... I need ideas to show my hubby so he knows what I want. He wants to live in the boonies... so he'll be building me one!!

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM
And I'm not sure about there, but here in the falls, you can find out about the S.N.I.P. program through the welfare offices. :shrug: not sure if that is helpful. I had a list of rescues from niagara to hamilton, I'll see if I can't dig that up for you too. May take some time though...:o

krdahmer
November 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Oh here... found the volunteer website with the links...

http://niagara.cioc.ca/results.asp?SubjID=87

Hope that gives you a few more avenues to explore. Maybe you could make a deal... foster a few cats for them and they'll subsidize your speuters??? :rolleyes: Worth a shot right.

Dracko
November 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM
All three of those cats look a lot alike. I wouldn't have known Spazzy and Meowzer were different cats if you hadn't pointed it out. Very pretty. :lovestruck:

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Thank you so much krdahmer! I will check out that site tomorrow. Don't think I have enough energy left tonight. :D Long day. I did manage to gather a couple of new numbers tonight. Will call tomorrow to see if I can get results.
We are only about 30 min away from Niagara so we probably have the same programs or can travel there if it's feasible.
Yes Drako, you are right. I have always thought that the same daddy was responsible for all of them but as of yet haven't seen him around. He is probably hiding in the bushes with the coyotes or something :laughing: at us. They are from 3 different litters though. I have 5 litters all together, all born in or around our garage. Moms show up to have them and take off as soon as kitties are weaned. It is almost impossible to find them inbetween pregnacies to get them fixed but I am going to keep on trying. Will find out who is more stubborn. ;)