Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Plug ins against mice ?

Frenchy
November 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Someone told me about plug ins you could buy in hardware stores , they make sounds (humans can't hear it) to keep mice away .... anyone heard of those ? Doest it work ? Could that sound be annoying for cats and dogs ?

14+kitties
November 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Frenchy - You can get one from Stokes Seeds. I have included the web site.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

I have one in my greenhouse. Have been told they work very well. They are called PT423 Attack Wave Pestrepeller and cost $24.99. Find it under Misc. You can order it online. Warning though - if you have guineas or pet mice or rats you cannot use it! It is deadly to them as they generally cannot get away from the sound and it attacks auditory. It does not harm cats or dogs.

joeysmama
November 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Okay it's late and I'm tired but I just got kind of silly reading this and thought about a little plug in that makes a noise to keep mice away. It goes "me-ow, me-ow." Yeah I know. I'm silly. :o

krdahmer
November 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM
:laughing:Cute joey..

And I've heard mixed reviews about those plug ins.:shrug:

coppperbelle
November 26th, 2007, 06:55 AM
As you know we have had a mouse problem at our cottage so I bought those at WalMart a few years ago. Put them in the living room, kitchen, dining room and my bedroom. They didn't work and the mice still came in. You have to find how they are getting into the house. I got down on the floor and checked every area around pipes or where wires come into the hosue. I put steel wool in the areas where I thought they might be able to enter the house. Apparently they can squeeze through an area half the diameter of a dime. The other thing we did is put wire mesh in the heating. They still managed to get in and then I think I found the problem. The electrical wire for the dishwasher came up the floor and into the kitchen. They were using the wire to get into the house. I have now closed it off but I still hear the little suckers in the wall sometimes. Even worse now I think we either have a rat or squirrel in the roof. Arghhhh!!!!
Yesterday I was cleaning under the kitchen sink and found the two mouse traps (with no mice in them) had been set off and there was a large piece of poop. I don't know if it rat poop or squirrel poop. Fortunately it didn't get into the house and is so far confined to under the cupboards. This week we will be going out and buying those huge rat traps and hopefully we will catch something.
I feed the birds and last spring I had about 4 or 5 squirrels that emptied the feeders everyday so I think more than likely my problem is a squirrel. I would actually prefer that to a rat. :yell:
We have found the best thing to catch mice are those little cheap traps with a bit of peanut butter as bait.

Don't you have a cat or two????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I don't suppose they have something like that for ants and roaches?

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't suppose they have something like that for ants and roaches?

I just took a quick look and I do think so .

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Frenchy - You can get one from Stokes Seeds. I have included the web site.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

Thanks ! :thumbs up and no , I don't have pets mice or rats :yuck: :D

Don't you have a cat or two????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You would think stupid mice would stay away from a house with 4 dogs and 2 cats .... and last time Paddy ate one , cost me $150.00 to get rid of worms and fleas :mad:

Okay it's late and I'm tired but I just got kind of silly reading this and thought about a little plug in that makes a noise to keep mice away. It goes "me-ow, me-ow." Yeah I know. I'm silly. :o

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lukka'sma
November 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
We have used them in our garage to no avail. I think the only way is to stop entry in the first place, I have heard that mice just hate peppermint and will avoid it at all costs, don't know how accurate that is but maybe I'll try a few cotton ball's soaked in peppermint extract and see if it works.

welread1
November 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I use them and i don' thave mice;however, I don't hink we ever did have mice- sounds a bit silly ifyou ask me....

:dog:one thing- I'd watch out for the plug-ins if you have a "chewer" the chemicals found within plug-ins can't be good for dogs or cats...

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
We have used them in our garage to no avail.

The plug ins or the one 14+kitties posted ?

wdawson
November 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
here frenchy......
http://www.mice.com/eflp/mice/pid80584/D174372/C38085

wdawson
November 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM
oh frenchy is this what greets you when you go to the computer:laughing:

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
oh frenchy is this what greets you when you go to the computer:laughing:

http://bestsmileys.com/tongs/10.gif

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM
here frenchy......
http://www.mice.com/eflp/mice/pid80584/D174372/C38085

Fairly cheap .... one is $19.95 , covers 2000 sqf ... but does it work ? :yell:

wdawson
November 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
if it was on tv ....it must:rolleyes::laughing:.....besides my cats kill mice:laughing:

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I have a confession to make :sad: there's a dead one near the basement entry (not really a basement , mostly a crawl space) this area is close , I have yet to go pick it up :yell:

t.pettet
November 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM
You're going to think I'm ready for the 'looney bin' but after trapping a mouse in a kill trap I felt so terrible that I went out and bought 2 live traps and baited them with peanut butter. Once the little darlings are caught I empty them into a hamster cage with food/water and release them into an old barn about 2 miles from my place. I wait until I have atleast 2 in the cage before driving them down the road. Sorry Frenchy but I think they're cute, although I know destructive and flea carriers but I couldn't get the 'dead mouse' image out of my mind - felt really quilty.

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 09:53 PM
omg you're such a softie :laughing: I give them free housing in the shed , I am not putting any poison or traps there, but the house HAS to be off limit. The little pity I had for them left when I found out my 2 cats had worms and fleas and all 4 dogs had fleas , cost me about $135.00 for treatments .... all because of one tiny mouse :yell:

wdawson
November 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
You're going to think I'm ready for the 'looney bin' but after trapping a mouse in a kill trap I felt so terrible that I went out and bought 2 live traps and baited them with peanut butter. Once the little darlings are caught I empty them into a hamster cage with food/water and release them into an old barn about 2 miles from my place. I wait until I have atleast 2 in the cage before driving them down the road. Sorry Frenchy but I think they're cute, although I know destructive and flea carriers but I couldn't get the 'dead mouse' image out of my mind - felt really quilty.

:laughing:.....if frenchy starts doing that i need video:D

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Oh and t.pettet , the plug ins doesn't kill them , it just keeps them away.

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM
:laughing:.....if frenchy starts doing that i need video:D

I don't think so ! :laughing:

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 11:49 PM
DUH! I feel a little silly! I have been talking about something different than what you folks have been. I just did a check on line and found the plug ins that have been topic. The one I have is plugged in also but is bigger and sits on a flat surface.

otter
November 27th, 2007, 12:05 AM
:frustrated: I just found a drawer full of kitty litter - obviously collected by my house guests :yell: NO more wheat kitty litter for us, were going back to the deadly stuff!

I too have heard mixed reviews about the plugs ins... maybe they only work to keep new mice away, not annoying enough to get the ones living the good life in your house to actually leave :shrug::laughing:

Frenchy
November 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
DUH! I feel a little silly! I have been talking about something different than what you folks have been.

That's ok ! The thing you were talking about seems to work fine too.

cpietra16
November 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Frenchy, I lived on a farm in Vermont for a year...and oh OMG did we have mice. We had a trap door level to the floor leading to the basement. Mice everywhere., No w I hate killing anything that breaths so I went out and got those hi pitch plugs for mice....
result =
I beleive I remember seeing a few mice pointing at the one in the kitchen and laughing themselves silly, while their body was helping himself to the cookies.
Boy did I feel like a :clown:

Frenchy
November 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I beleive I remember seeing a few mice pointing at the one in the kitchen and laughing themselves silly, while their body was helping himself to the cookies.

:laughing: You know what ? It's pretty easy to imagine that ! :laughing:

coppperbelle
November 28th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks ! :thumbs up and no , I don't have pets mice or rats :yuck: :D

You would think stupid mice would stay away from a house with 4 dogs and 2 cats .... and last time Paddy ate one , cost me $150.00 to get rid of worms and fleas :mad:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yikes, $150.00 mouse catcher. The other night I woke up and sat straight up in bed, scared the crap out of my husband. I heard a mouse scurrying in the roof. My two dogs who can hear the cookie jar open a mile away didn't hear them and never do. Now the squirrel in the roof , they hear and bark at it.

chico2
November 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Frenchy,the line was drawn for me,when while watching TV, a mouse came running in front of my feet,with Vinnie in hot persuit,he disappeared behind a huge palm I have.
I also had them in my kitchen-cupboard,they had taken a liking to my potatoes:yell:
We put out some live-traps in the cupboard and the attic,searched every inch of the house outside and found they got in where the airconditioner hose goes in to the house,there was a small gap,we cemented it close.
My 3 cats,do not kill or eat mice,but love torturing them,we have saved several from the cats claws,but outside.
I do think they are cute little guys,I keep birdseeds and corn on the cob(for the Squirrels)in my shed and we had to get sturdy plastic-containers so the mice could not get to it.

Longblades
November 28th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I had to laugh at my DH. All summer he rushed outside whenever one of the cats showed up with a mouse that might still be alive, to rescue it. Little brown field mice are so cute. But he set traps in the garage where he has an antique car they've already eaten some of the upholstery off of. What a hypocrite.

Yesterday he saw a rat going into our compost pile so now there is a live trap out there.

Frenchy
November 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM
But he set traps in the garage where he has an antique car

:laughing:

Well no sign of them anymore :fingerscr