Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats with attitude

otter
November 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
So I hear lots of people talk about their cat having "attitude" (or "tortitude" in the case of torties :D) but i'm wondering just what that means.

Just how much nastiness do you put up with?
How do you keep from getting your hands shredded?

I've got an older cat (maybe 9):cat: who was a stray who is becoming more and more of a house cat. He's pretty friendly most of the time but, he turns on a dime and becomes Mr.:evil: and then hissed and swats and bites at everything. I worry that if I every had to be touching him (to check for injury, illness, move him from danger, move him from somewhere he shouldn't be, etc.) that he'd destroy me (I've tried wrapping him in a towel when he's in bad attitude mode, he just gets crazed).

Does anyone have any suggestions for improving attitude, training, calming, etc.?? Maybe i'm asking too much of him, all my other cats have been generally sweet so i'm panicking a bit.

mummummum
November 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
You know I'm a know-nothing-about-cats so I won't bother speculating about personality issues but I'm wondering if anyone has used and found success with a particular Bach Flowers Remedy in chilling-out their cat?

krdahmer
November 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Rescue Remedy right? Ya that stuff does work well I've used it on my guys for car trips, vet trips, general anxiety and on strays while adjusting them to the indoors.

Other than that you will learn to read the signs of serious aggression and you can do little else but back off and try whatever it is you want to do later. And I am just getting used to a good scratch or bite scar here and there if I make a wrong move. It's getting better though, over time, Buddy is really getting more and more used to things like claw clipping day etc... although he does growl a bit I haven't been snapped at in a while, of course I've had him 3 years already!

And as for the attitude we talk about, it's not so much aggression as just that old cat-itude... 'the you get to pet me when I'm good and ready, where's my dinner, you expect me to go where' type attitudes. Their little individual personalities.

Frenchy
November 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I know they sell diffuser to calm cats down (like plug ins) they sell it for dogs too. I was thinking about getting one for Nelly but at $80.00 a pop ..... :eek: + you have to buy refills.

I think they're less expensive for cats.

Janie123
November 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Remember.....You don't own the cat.....He owns YOU!:laughing::D:laughing::eek::grouphug::thumbs up

chico2
November 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Well,having had a few serious bouts with cat-bites,I certainly know how dangerous they can be and how really crazed a normally sweeet cat can get.
I am thinking there must be a reason for this cats aggression,maybe health or stressrelated.
I had my Rocky on calming meds for a while,I forgot the name of it,it was long ago.
I got it from my vet and it was simple,no pill,just a little dab of a gel on the inside of his ear.
But since Rocky"only"go crazy seeing a strange cat outside,I did not continue with the meds
I too checked out the Rescue Remedy plugin,but it was really expensive:yell:

otter
November 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Badger was looking for some kind of diffuser stuff.. I looked it up online and it's not too expensive in the US ($30 for the diffuser and a bottle of the stuff, then about $15 for refills). I can handle that price if it works:D, i'd save that much in polysporin alone! I'm going to the US in a few weeks so I'll see if I can get some. I guess in Canada you can only get it from a vet, thus the $$$. Maybe i'll smuggle a couple back so I can supply pets.ca members:D

I know it all might be kinda hopeless... my pets definitely RULE me! I just hate to get attacked trying to get into my own bed, sit on my chair, etc. Sleeping dogs, no problem but i'm learning to ALWAYS let sleeping cats lay :evil:

Are cat proof gloves (short of chainmail or some kind of armor) a good idea? or is it a really bad idea to try and mess with him when he is already pissed, no matter what the reason.

Can you train a cat to be less aggressive??

I so appreciate your input :thumbs up I think I was a closet cat owner for many years so I never got to discuss much about them, now i'm paying the price.

otter
November 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
chico2 I have often wondered if there might be some reason too...
Clover has only got to the vet once since i've been caring for him (about February or so, to get shots). I'd like to get him to a regular vet but it's about a 3 hr drive. So, this is why I got thinking I have to find someway to calm him down, three hours in the car with a screaming cat will not be fun:eek: I'm afraid that by the time we get to the vet we're not gonna be able to tell much, he's gonna be so stressed out. Rescue remedy type meds might do the trick for this, good idea, going to see if I can find some online :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Otter, I don't know if this will help but I found a site that might give some insight into your problem.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-solve-cat-behavior-problems3.htm

It's a connundrum trying to figure out kitties behaviour but if he was a stray for so long it's hard to say what the poor fellow has been through.
I will :fingerscr for you.

otter
November 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
14+ that was a nice article. I think sometimes I might push things a bit too far with Clover... I have to learn to "just walk away" when Mr. :evil: comes out :D.

I just can't admit that this cat totally has me under his paw... pleeeeeeease let me out Mr. Clover Cat:yell:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
:thumbs up Otter Glad it was helpful. I enjoy that site.
My "oldest" ferel (he is a whole 8 months) has a major attitude. HE decides when he wants attention and don't try to convince him otherwise. He hides under the shed in their catuary and when he wants attention he comes out and flops down in front of me or jumps up on one of their chairs and waits for me to come over. If anyone else comes in he hisses and runs.....fast!!! It took a long time when I found him to convince him I wasn't going to harm him and he still won't trust anyone else. He comes by his name (Spaztator) honestly. :) Can't tell you how many of the scars I carry belong to him.

sugarcatmom
November 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Badger was looking for some kind of diffuser stuff.. I looked it up online and it's not too expensive in the US ($30 for the diffuser and a bottle of the stuff, then about $15 for refills). I can handle that price if it works:D, i'd save that much in polysporin alone! I'm going to the US in a few weeks so I'll see if I can get some. I guess in Canada you can only get it from a vet, thus the $$$. Maybe i'll smuggle a couple back so I can supply pets.ca members:D

You can actually get Feliway at PetSmart, just apparently not in Quebec :rolleyes:. It's the same price as in the U.S. And then there's always eBay. . . . .

But ya, my vet has the Feliway plug-ins in all her exam rooms (cat-only clinic) and while I can't tell if they have an effect on Aztec (he typically just gets paralyzed with fear, no freak-outs or anything), they must work on some kitties cause she's been using them for a while.

As for Rescue Remedy (different from Feliway, which is a pheromone), I have used it for things like car rides (Aztec is a yowler in the car). I doesn't really help with stress during the trip, but what it does do is calm him down faster afterwards.