Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, I'm new here

Baby Boston
November 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hello, everyone. So, I've never done this before--up front apologies if anything goes wrong. I'm new to dog owning--my brother got my daughters a Boston Terrier puppy a few months ago and now I can't imagine my life without little Handsome Jack. Here's the problem that I need help with: Friday (it's now Sunday) he was bitten on the leg by my neighbor's dog. It seemed just a surface scratch, and he didn't yelp or anything. Actually, the two dogs normally are friends. Jack was fine on Friday, and most of Saturday--a little limping but no biggee. Last night and today his limping is pretty bad- he won't put any pressure on it. The bite site doesn't look bad at all...no swelling, no oozing, no funny colors. He's not bleeding, vomiting, no diarrhea. It's really just the limping that's got me concerned. What do you all think? Am I being an overprotective mom here?:pawprint:

kiara
November 25th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. We will need pictures of your puppy. Since this is a puppy and I presume that the other dog may be big, I would take your puppy to a vet for a check-up. Just to be sure. Have a talk with the dog's owners and ask politely if their dog has bitten other dogs before or shown aggresion? Next time there may be a need for stitches, who knows, dogs really can be unpredictable. My mother had an incident like this with her poodle. Her neighbor's big dog bit Max and he needed stitches. The dog's owners had a real "attitude" and she would keep her dog away from them. Let alone the extra cost for vet bills.

mummummum
November 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Welcome to pets.ca! And an absolute YES! to the request for pix!

How is your puppy feeling today? If he is still limping today, I also suggest a Vet check as there could be ligament or nerve damage.

Baby Boston
November 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for getting back to me! The severity of his limping depends on how distracted he is. When we're inside it's quite noticeable, but when he's outside and distracted, he uses the leg. He can jump easily in and out of the car and up and down from the bed. It seems to me that it's just a sore muscle...the other dog bit him in the fatty part of his upper leg. The other dog is actually slightly smaller than my dog, but he's a chiuahah (sp?)/jack russell mix so to say that he's slightly spastic is putting it lightly. Besides, he was "protecting" his mother who was in heat, so he was even more crazy than usual. Anyhow, I know he's a healthy little dog--I'm close with the owners who have had him his whole life.

As for pictures, I'm working on it. I have to figure out how to make them smaller.

mummummum
November 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Just a word of caution ~ do NOT let your dog jump on and off things. You should be restricting movement as much as possible during the healing period. If it is ligament damage (one ligament runs straight down from the hips on the outside of the bone) allowing pup to jump around could cause a tear or complete rupture.

As hard as it is, make him rest. Dogs are incredibly stoic and rarely show the amount of pain they are feeling.

As for pix, check out the photo forum ~ you will find good hints and tips there. :thumbs up

Baby Boston
November 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of that! I figured if he could jump, he was OK. I'll restrict his movements, then. Well, I mean I'll distract him from jumping as much as possible. I gave him a bone and he's quite content to sit on the carpet and attack it.:thumbs up Thanks for the advice!

mummummum
November 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Good stuff! And if the lameness persists beyond three days from point of injury he must see the Vet. Please note, I only say 3 days from point of injury as it seems to be a minor injury ~ anything more serious would require an immediate Vet visit.

So....the pics :D

Baby Boston
November 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I figured if he was still favoring it tomorrow I'd go in to see the vet. I'm working on the pictures--I just posted the question in the photo forum. Thank you.

kylben
November 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi Baby Boston,

I noticed you're from Tucson, do you go to the dog park on Silverbell by any chance? I wonder if yours is the BT that tried to brush my teeth with his tongue last month? :crazy: Of course, I'm sure there's more than one BT owner in Tucson...

Welcome to the boards in any case, and I hope Jack recovers OK.

--Kyle