Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

am new need answers

puss_n_boots
November 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
hi i am new here and just need an answer on getting a new puppy if parvo was in my yard and house...i have bleached my house but cant do yard due to snow, i found a puppy who is 4 months old but only had 1 set of shots 2 months ago if i give him his second shot asap will he still get the parvo virus?

growler~GateKeeper
November 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM
From http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=579&SourceID=

Indoor decontamination:

Indoors, virus loses its infectivity within one month; therefore, it should be safe to introduce a new puppy indoors one month after the active infection has ended.

Outdoor decontamination:

Freezing is completely protective to the virus. If the outdoors is contaminated and is frozen, one must wait for it to thaw out before safely introducing a new puppy.
Shaded areas should be considered contaminated for seven months.

Areas with good sunlight exposure should be considered contaminated for five months.
Of course, the above presupposes that no decontamination steps (other than waiting) have been taken. In most households, owners want to know how to disinfect their homes to create a safer environment for the other dogs there or to create a safe environment for a new or replacement puppy.

Here's what we know about disinfection:

Despite the introduction of new cleaners with all sorts of claims, parvovirus remains virtually impossible to completely remove from an environment. The goal of decontamination is to reduce the number of viral particles to an acceptable level.

The best and most effective disinfectant against viruses (including parvoviruses) is BLEACH. One part bleach is mixed with 30 parts water and is applied to bowls, floors, surfaces, toys, bedding, and anything contaminated that is colorfast or for which color changes are not important.

Bleach completely kills parvovirus

Disinfection becomes problematic for non-bleachable surfaces such as carpet or lawn. Outdoors, if good drainage is available, thorough watering down of the area may dilute any virus present. Since carpet is indoors, it may be best to simply wait a good month or so for the virus to die off before allowing any puppies access to the area.

You should keep the puppy & everyone in your house completely completely away from the lawn which the parvo dog peed & pooped you could still bring the virus into the house on your shoes. The freezing temperatures protects the virus from being killed - so even if you had a sprayer of bleach-water solution & sprayed the lawn there is still the good possiblility some of the virus will survive. Sunlight will kill the virus but it takes 6 months (not frozen)

Giving the vaccine right away will not give full protection from the virus right now because it takes time for the antibodies in the body to properly arm themselves to fight the virus after being exposed to the vaccine & "taught" which cells are bad

puss_n_boots
November 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM
that helped alot , i think i will wait a bit to get a dog or make sure its a bit older with all its shots. it was hard loseing my lab but will not let another animal go through this.

growler~GateKeeper
November 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Your welcome, I think you've made the right descision :thumbs up The parvo virus is horrible & best prevented when at all possible.

My :rip: :dog: Cally recovered from Parvo when he was a puppy with his previous owners (I rescued him when he was 6 years old) & just reading his vet medical file I could imagine the pain & heartbreak of having to witness that, I thank dawg all the time that he lived through the parvo & came into my life for the 6 short years I had him.

Waiting several months to get a puppy is the best choice for the health of your future new furbaby. :)