Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Darn kids !

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
So my 9 yr old nephew calls me at lunch time to ask me what this means in french : you suck.

Yes people , me of all people had to explain to him what that meant , soo hard to translate , specially by me :yell: to a 9 yr old :confused: he said : mom said I was old enough to find out what it means but she doesn't really know how to translate it to me (my sister is not too bilingual) so I ask him where the heck did he heard this , was it one of his friends ? Nope , he was playing a game on internet and saw it there. So my sister called me later and her and hubby thought my explanation was very good and polite :laughing:

Gosh , I could never be a parent :laughing:

wdawson
November 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
well come on......explain to us what it means:laughing:

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 04:01 PM
well come on......explain to us what it means:laughing:

Well now I have to translate my explanation that I gave him :laughing:

I told him if someone's says : "you suck at hockey" , that meant you are not good at playing hockey , if someone just says "you suck" , means you're no good in general :laughing: when we say "it sucks" , that means it's not cool. :shrug:

So I kind of said that saying "it sucks" is not too bad but telling people they suck wasn't polite :shrug:

clm
November 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
:laughing::laughing: Way to handle it Frenchy. My sister used to pass her kids over to me for explainations of things too, only there were no translation issues, she just preferred me to deal with it instead of her. :laughing: I'm so glad they're all grown up now.

Cindy

JanM
November 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Well done, Frenchy! I have no idea what I would have said - but I'm sure it would NOT have been as diplomatic as your explanation!

joeysmama
November 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Frenchy, I'm impressed. I've given a lot of explanations but by the time "this sucks" became popular my kids were older and I didn't have to explain that one. So I was wondering how in the world DOES one explain it. Good job !

When my son was little he came home one day and told me he knew what the "f word" was. (Moderators--don't get upset, I promise this isn't going to be so bad) He looked me right in the eye and said "It's f, dash dash dash. It's fart !" :laughing:

I looked right back at him and said "Yes it is and it's very rude. Please don't ever use it."

Parenting has it's moments.

growler~GateKeeper
November 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I think you did a great job @ explaining it :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
November 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Kids! :crazy: :laughing: :wall: All at the same time!

My 8 year old uses the "suck" phrases constantly. Homework sucks. This video game sucks. Shopping sucks. It's part of their vocabulary these days, although I don't think they understand what it originally meant. I try to get him to stop, but it's so widely used at school. I think it's as common these days as using "like" - you know, like how kids are always, like, saying "like" for every other, like, word. :clown:

What's really "fun" (and I use that term loosely) is that my 4 year old now says "that sucks!" all the time. Actually, he imitates EVERYTHING his big brother says and does. It's going to be fun at the grandparents' place this Christmas! :eek:

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 11:20 AM
but it's so widely used at school.

Wanna bet there's a new trend starting today in a certain french school :eek:

At least I can be proud that it's someone from my family :laughing:

wondering if the teachers will call me tonight....

12Paws
November 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I think you did a great job as well.

You never know what kids will say, that is for sure. A few weeks ago, my youngest (he is about 3.9 years old) told me he wanted to be a girl. No idea why, just out of the blue. I gave him the very simple reply "well God made you a boy" and he then replied "If God made me a boy then he can make me a girl". I realized I was digging myself into a deeper hole haha. I did eventually find out why he said it... it is because our dogs are both girls and he also planned on becoming a dog LOL. Currently he is now Superman ^^ and refuses to not wear his cape.

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
it is because our dogs are both girls and he also planned on becoming a dog LOL. Currently he is now Superman ^^ and refuses to not wear his cape.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: