Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy whining at night

tasross
November 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
We have just bought a labradoodle who is 6months old from a friend who is going overseas. I am afraid this friend had some habits we don't want our dog to have. We want our dog to be an outside dog but unfortunately was use to sleeping under the bed at our friends. Can anyone help. She was whining most of the night last night (her 2nd night with us). We have bought her a comfortable bed and she is undercover on our deck. What is the best way to train her that she is not going to sleep inside. We have two young kids and they have been with you all day so we thought she would be tired and sleep but this didn't happen.
Please help.

shredy
November 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I say let her sleep inside at night. She doesn't have to sleep in your bedroom. You could try crate training her which would create a safe environment without the worry of destructive puppy behaviors. I know that you want to have an "outside dog" but this type of dog wants to be with people and by locking her out of the house she feels isolated from the pack and may develop unwanted behavioral issues as a result. I urge you to reconsider making her sleep outside...

crazydays
November 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
tassross;

Most dogs must be indoors. They want to be with their people. I don't know where you live, but it is cold here in Ontario and a pup can die of exposure.
Ths 6 month pup should NOT be outside. The fact it slept indoors with the other owners in their bedroom tells me this is what it knows. I bet if you bring the dog indoors and place the dog bed close to your bedroom, it will stop whining. The poor pup has had too many changes already. Does this pup have indoor priviledges during the day? Is it house trained? Sorry but the answer I have is not one you are looking for.

LavenderRott
November 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I am not sure where you live but neither labradors or poodles are bred to withstand the types of cold temperatures that most of us are likely to withstand this winter.

You might also want to consider that people are paying thousands of dollars for labradoodles and one sitting alone in a back yard is a very tempting target.

Just the thought of leaving one of my dogs alone in the yard scares me to death. Too many times we read about dogs that have been stolen and used for bait dogs or simply tortured for some twisted idiot's idea of fun. Or poisoned by some neighbor who just got tired of listening to it bark. To me, not worth the risk.

tasross
November 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
We have just bought a labradoodle who is 6months old from a friend who is going overseas. I am afraid this friend had some habits we don't want our dog to have. We want our dog to be an outside dog but unfortunately was use to sleeping under the bed at our friends. Can anyone help. She was whining most of the night last night (her 2nd night with us). We have bought her a comfortable bed and she is undercover on our deck. What is the best way to train her that she is not going to sleep inside. We have two young kids and they have been with you all day so we thought she would be tired and sleep but this didn't happen.
Please help.

Hi all thanks for your answers. I live in Australia, Melbourne and it is warm here now nearly summer so there is no problem with the cold at this stage.

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hi all thanks for your answers. I live in Australia, Melbourne and it is warm here now nearly summer so there is no problem with the cold at this stage.

Maybe , but you still have to take this into consideration :

dog wants to be with people and by locking her out of the house she feels isolated from the pack and may develop unwanted behavioral issues as a result. I urge you to reconsider making her sleep outside...

Dogs are not made to be outside alone. And yours is simply way too young for this. Dogs have pack mentality , they MUST be with their people. I don't see why this is a problem for you to let the dog inside at night.

wdawson
November 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
if i stick you under my deck everynight i bet you start to whine:rolleyes:

chico2
November 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM
IMO,No dogs should be left outdoors,especially at night..
Why adopt a dog if he is not to be part of the family,he has lost his owner,he is left outside,no wonder the poor pup is whining:sad:
I also understand the summers in Australia are HOT,most dogs I know are not comfortable out in the heat all day.
Please reconsider and give this dog the family-life he deserves:fingerscrif not,maybe find him a home that is able to make him part of the family.

luckypenny
November 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
...Please reconsider and give this dog the family-life he deserves:fingerscrif not,maybe find him a home that is able to make him part of the family.

I agree. No point having a dog if it can't be a member of the pack/family :shrug: . You wouldn't consider leaving your 6 year old child to sleep and spend their time outdoors, would you? What a miserable life that would be :sad: . As LaverderRott stated, there are also too many dangers when left unsupervised.

clm
November 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Regardless of where you live, warm or not, a pet should be a member of the family and belongs inside the family home.

Cindy

Shaykeija
November 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
if i stick you under my deck everynight i bet you start to whine:rolleyes:
Darn near choked on that one.

You have a very smart dog there. Why would you want it outside? They are people dogs. You want a outside pet get a cactus... Seriously, let him sleep in the house.

the gang
November 24th, 2007, 08:20 PM
oh god!!!!! i have to hold my tongue, do your homework people !!!these dogs are not out side dogs, if you wanted a dog to stay out side you picked the wrong one!!!!!!! good lord i better not say anything else or i will get tossed outside:frustrated:

the gang
November 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM
sorry everbody!!!!!! placed a lot of rescues----------------- this week, im tired!!, and people dont think and do there homework first before they addopt !!!it makes me very mad, i have 5 rescues--------------- and they are the best thing ever to have happened to me, and yup they all sleep in bed with us, your going to take on something its till the end, and belive me its $$$$$ but thats what you want to do!!!!!!

t.pettet
November 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM
This poor puppy (yes puppy) needs a dog friendly family - send him to a rescue where he'll be adopted who understand dog mentality and will be a companion house dog. No dog should be an 'outside' dog, even my St. Bernard used to sleep in at night.

growler~GateKeeper
November 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Since this PUPPY came from a friend you obviously knew about this prior sleeping arrangement - if you wanted a dog to stay outside WHY did you take this puppy? Melbourne is a fairly large city right? There must be a few rescue organizations or no-kill shelters that will take the puppy to re-home it into a family that cares about the dog.

You face the danger of not only losing this puppy to temperature extremes cold but also HOT, mean neighbours poisoning the dog & inadvertainally your kids, people who steal puppies for a variety of reasons, other dogs attacking it, the dog running away with or without the added temptation of a feral dog pack to join but also turning this sweet little puppy into a child attacking aggressive dog.

Leaving a PUPPY outside with no family contact all night & presumably most of the day will result in an aggressive dog because it is not properly socialized especially coming from loving home where the dog was allowed inside to a house where it is left alone in the backyard -then the dog will attack your young children when they try to play with it.

Redcrew71
November 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Unless you live on a farm and have a "farm dog" that stays out all the time I agree dogs need to be part of the family.

Our two Goldens come in each nite. The male sleeps beside my bed. The female on an old couch next to the bed. At times they want out at nite...too hot or what have u but only leave them out in summer.

I have a fenced kennel area of about 40 ft x 15ft with "WASHED" pea gravel. They go in this during the day when we are at work. If it is too cold out they stay inside. When we come home they get the run of the back yard but not too much so not to destroy the grass etc.

When they come in I have a carpet mat and baby gate set up at back door for them to dry off on.

Mine have different options to care for.....not just put them outside. Aside from a farmers dog their is no such thing as an outside dog anymore IMO.

As for the whining...it will eventually stop...but if your complaining after 2 nites..u did not do your homework.

CearaQC
November 25th, 2007, 07:16 AM
No wonder the poor thing is whining. :sad: They don't like to be left alone and prefer to sleep near family members, as it serves as the dog's "pack."

Please think of the potential problems. Let the golden rescue female I received this month tell her tale about her old home. She was tethered outside all day/all night with NO shelter, in all sorts of weather. During the summer, she dug a hole in the dirt to keep cool. She developed an ear and paw yeast infection, which I assume is from digging and also because of the floppy ears. Her yeast infection was so bad, that while she was in her dirt hole, ants were crawling all over her. Her nose has splotches on the top, and the vet says this is the result of lots of digging in dirt. Now her nose is going through a peeling phase, which I hope is part of healing back to normal. She was outside so long, that her old human family began to forget about her and she ended up pregnant and starved. It's a miracle she wasn't flea/tick infested. She also had some behavior issues, which are disappearing quicker than I ever imagined because she desires to please so much. She wants to dig at the perimeter of our home every time she goes outside to potty, but never wants to stay outside very long and is very quick to haul back to the door to be let back in where it's warm and comfy.

An outside dog is a dirty and smelly dog and by the time it gets so dirty and smelly, it has almost no chance of living indoors ever again. Behavior problems are likely to result.

For a happy and safe dog indoors at night and while you're away from home during the day, a crate is the best bet. It's not punishment and the dog will learn to see it as it's own "room."

Please, put yourself in his paws and imagine what he must be going through. Losing his old comfy home, his beloved family... and moving to a new home with new people, but not able to sleep around them. *cry*

Longblades
November 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
With the assumption that indoors is ideal for puppy but realizing we do not all live in an ideal world and expecting that you will do everything possible to make puppy's life outdoors safe and happy, here are some ideas of mine.

Can you get bedding or a crate that puppy is used to from her first home to use? Can someone sleep out on the deck with her for the first few nights? Can you put a hot water bottle nearby, a clock that ticks and perhaps leave a radio station tuned to a talk show so she feels she has company? Can you leave her on the deck for only short periods at first, gradually lengthening to ovenight? Does she get lots of human socialization during the daytime?

Going right back to basics with crate training on the deck might be a good idea.

I can't see a labradoodle fitting under the bed for very long so she probably is going to need a new sleeping area anyway. Unless your "down under" beds are awfully high. :)

I don't see why training her to stay out on the deck at night has to be any different than slowly accustoming her to being left alone in the house for gradually extended times. I do think expecting her to be happy with a sudden change from indoors to outdoors is unrealistic.