Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need a helping hand

badger
November 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
I finally found out why cat pheremones (Felway, etc.) are not available in pet supply stores. In Quebec, only vets are allowed to 'dispense' pheremones, usually Felway (80$). The stores are clamouring to stock them, but I guess the arrangement is just too cosy to give up without a fight.

All that to say that if someone in Ontario who makes regular trips to Petsmart would be willing to buy me a diffuser - I think there are a couple of others besides Felway - and send it to me here in Montreal, I would be eternally grateful. Cheque upfront, of course. I hate to ask at such a busy time but we're rocking and rolling here. Badger sprayed IN FRONT OF ME yesterday, and he ain't the only one. I seem to be spending alot of time on my knees lately :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously.

pitgrrl
November 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I ran into this problem trying to get a DAP diffuser. After I spent almost $100 getting someone to send me one from BC, I found out my vet could just order it. It took about a week to come in and was far cheaper, so you may want to look into going that route.

luckypenny
November 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Have you tried Ebay? I just took a look and it's awfully inexpensive compared to 80$ a bottle at the vet's. Are you looking for both a diffuser and refills?

badger
November 24th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty sure my vet only sells Felway at 80$ for the diffuser and one bottle of 'hooch', but I've seen other brands on Petsmart's website that are about half that. Do you think the vet is likely to order a competitor's product?

I don't use ebay, in fact I think I might have cancelled my account based on a scam email :o.

Winston
November 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Badger I would be happy to buy whatever you need at Petsmart..you will have to let me know what you need......and of course where it needs to be shipped too!

Cindy

badger
November 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
That's so klnd of you. Sent you a PM.
The mystery deepens: I went on the petsmart site (they have no Canadian site) and ordered a defuser, plus a refill (feeling optimistic that this will help settle things down) and when I put in my mailing adress in Canada, a message popped up saying that 'due to regulations, we are unable to ship these products), which to me means they can't get them across the border, might be Canadian regs or just Quebec, not specified.
The fortress is secure!!!:evil:

chico2
November 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Badger,I would certainly help out too,if you need anything.
I was checking out Pet-Smart a while back looking for Glucosamine for cats and saw the Feliway(not sure if it was that brand)surprised at how expensive it was,of course I forgot how much it was(old age and all that:laughing:)
I have a triple spraying-problem,Vinnie just showed me he can do the same as the older guys.:yell:
What to do??? I go after them and clean up with Natures Miracle,but it cetainly does not stop them from their nasty habits.
We've had to make the livingroom taboo for them,since it's carpeted,much more difficult to clean.
I am kind of glad my cats are not the only ones who do this,Chico and Vinnie spray maybe once a week,Rocky is worse...:yell:

mummummum
November 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Do they actually work?

otter
November 26th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Badger, I saw them online (us site) for just $29 (diffuser and refill bottle) then $20 for additional refill bottles. I'm going to the US for sure at Xmas and maybe before and i'm going to get one to try myself, do you want me to order an extra? I can bring it home in my luggage and ship it from Toronto to you. Can you wait that long? I could make a "bulk" order if there are others who want some. Shipping is usually about $6 for something that size.

otter
November 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
None of the US sites I found would ship to Canada - either it's too complicated or there might be restrictions. I wonder if you could get it shipped from the UK, seems popular there.... i'll take a look

gee, I feel like some kinda phermone pusher :laughing:

want4rain
November 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
i wouldnt be above trying to ship from here in the US. not sure how that will go over with all of the 911 stuff. i would think shipping it back in your luggage would be very hard since you cant (from what i understand... dont fly anymore) ship back any cleaning products, liquids, gels, pastes, powders.... etc because of safety purposes. i would really hate for one of you guys to show up at the airport and have to dump an expensive bottle of feline hormones. :)

anyways, i digress.... i dont mind trying to ship it myself but i wouldnt be surprised if we were blocked. i dont see why FedEx, DHL, USPS wouldnt but i wouldnt be surprised. :)

-ash

chico2
November 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes,I would like to know too if it works from someone who used it.
Also,if you plug it in,do you need one for every room in the house??
It could get very expensive:confused:
I had Rocky on calming meds for a while,but it did not stop his spraying:sad:
All 3 of my cats have been checked for UTI and are good,use the litterboxes for regular peeing.

Winston
November 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I actually work with someone that bought the plug ins and he said it really really works..he has 2 in the house.

Cindy

chico2
November 27th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Winston,I am going to buy one for now,maybe I can alternate rooms for a while,I'll try anything:yell:

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I'd be willing to send some your way, but I don't know if it would to through. Sending anything liquid is a huge pain in the butt because everything is so restricted now.

Winston
November 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Chico my friend bought 2 and put them in the 2 rooms that they spent the most time in..so he said in their family room downstairs and 1 in the bedroom areas...He has had them for 3 weeks and is really happy...he no longer has to use medicine on the one cat!

Cindy

Jim Hall
November 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
yup they work well we use them in the cattery and i had one here for DU for a while till she calmed down

chico2
November 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Sounds good I'll go to Pet-Smart on thursday...thank's

chico2
November 30th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Badger,I bought a Feliway plug-in today at our local Pet Smart.
It was $48.89 +tax,so it came to $55 something.
Refills are $25+ so it is expensive,but if it works,it's worth it.:fingerscr
I thought Rocky was spraying because he smells other cats outside,when we take them out,but he does it any time he's excited.
Chico does it now to,Vinnie I don't know yet,but if one sprays,more than likely the others will too:yell:
I always have a spraybottle with Natures Miracle on hand to clean up,but it is a real pain:sad:
I could need another one,but it has to wait awhile...

badger
November 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Let us know if it works for your boys, Chico, I am very encouraged by all this positive feedback.

The problem is commercial. Not all companies are willing to provide a more detailed list of ingredients, plus bilingual labelling, as Canada requires. Winston saw it in Hamilton, but it ends up being about the same price as the Feliway sold at my vet's.

Otter, I am sending you a PM :)...well, I would, except your mailbox is full.

otter
November 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Badger... try again, I'm working on cleaning up my pm's, been away for a bit.
Thanks

chico2
December 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM
I was told Rescue Remedy is worth a try to,only available in healthfood stores:confused:
I believe part of the spraying-problem is stress,Rocky of course having a thyroid-problem gets a little extra hyper:yell:a natural calming product might help:confused:
It says on the Feliway packaging to use it at least for 90 days:confused:then what? Are they supposed to have stopped spraying??
Badger,I am going to check other stores for pricing,wish I had looked for it when we were in South Carolina.

growler~GateKeeper
December 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
It says on the Feliway packaging to use it at least for 90 days:confused:then what? Are they supposed to have stopped spraying??

Chico I would assume the 90 days is the average time it takes to show improvement :shrug: & they don't want you to expect it to work immediately & be upset @ them when it takes longer than what you thought.

Most natural remedies & medicines too take a certain amount of time for the effects to be shown :)

chico2
December 2nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Growler,yes you are probably right and I'll keep on using it..
It's probably my imagination,or wishful thinking:laughing:but the cats seem calmer.
Rocky used to hound Chico every morning,until Chico would have no more of it and hiss at him and that's not happening,probably because I want it to work sooo badly:cat:
PetSmart had no more Feliway and no refills,said they were getting more,but I am going to check around in other stores..
My birdseeds-corn for the Squirrels-catfood supplier,Rens Pet Depot,don't even carry it:sad:

badger
December 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Good news chico. I think we can safely say that the placebo effect would work on you but means zip to the cats :thumbs up