Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How often should I change my cat's litter?

Jack1337
November 24th, 2007, 10:51 AM
My mom says I shouldn't be changing the whole litter and just scoop the poop and pee which makes the litter form tiny balls around it, so it's easy to remove.
But back with my old cat we used to completely change the litter once a week, though back then we used regular litter.
So now I'm not sure, do I have to change the whole litter once a week or should I just take out the poop and pee and stuff and just add litter as needed over time without taking the old non soiled litter out?

sugarcatmom
November 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Have I got a link for you!: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm#Cleaning_the_Litter_Box:, all you need to know about the art of cleaning litter boxes.

RagDollsMom
November 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Do scoop everyday and change the ENTIRE box once a week - 10days (sooner if necessary---you'll know if it starts to smell and is a complete mess). If you do not use a liner / newspaper with your litter, rinse the box out with a mild, (unscented if possible) soap and water (never use a citrus scented soap as cats hate the smell).

onster
November 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
wait so according to that site, we don't have to change the litter ever?? But it gets too stinky :shrug:. Admittedly tho I dont put nearly as much litter as in the video..maybe it is too shallow.

chico2
November 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Jack,I have 3 cats and I change the entire litter(clumping) every 2 weeks and clean out the boxes,I scoop about twice daily,more if there is a stinkbomb:laughing:
You are right,if you never change the litter,it will stink and the kitty might find another place to do his thing,mom won't want that.

clm
November 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I scoop daily as required and change the entire contents once a week.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
November 24th, 2007, 06:10 PM
wait so according to that site, we don't have to change the litter ever?? But it gets too stinky :shrug:. Admittedly tho I dont put nearly as much litter as in the video..maybe it is too shallow.

The key is the amount of litter. You need lots. Also scooping technique is crucial to prevent the clumps from breaking apart (it's the little bits of pee-clumps left behind that cause the stinkiness).

krdahmer
November 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I use the Swwheat scoop litter, scoop everyday, top up as needed and do a complete change once every two months or so.

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I use Swheat Scoop as well. I scoop daily around evening time. I have two boxes, one of which gets the most use. I keep a little over 3 to 4 inches in the box, and I recently bought heavy duty liner, the kind you get at the hardware store. I throw out the old litter and add new litter either every two weeks or monthly, depending on how it looks and smells.

The liner works great because my box that gets the most use is really big, and it's hard to clean since i live in an apartment. So all I have to do is pull up the liner, spray the box a bit to refresh it and line it again.