Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Funny pet reactions to stuff on TV

CearaQC
November 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM
A couple of days before Thanksgiving :usa:, I sat down on the living room floor to groom the dog and turned on the TV for noise. The Ellen show came on, and there were three kids doing turkey calls. Belle's ears perked up and she began to do the head tilting from side to side listening! I LOL'd at that. And saw it as a good sign, maybe she will be trainable as a hunting dog. :fingerscr

This morning, I decided to watch a dog TV show for fun, and it was about a shelter and rehoming a dog. There was another dog that had pneumonia and they strapped it down to do a chest xray. The dog on TV cried and yelped and Belle got up out of a seemingly deep sleep and ran to check on her puppies.

She won't actually watch the TV and just looks at my face instead like, "What do you want me to do?"

Love to read any funny stories of pet reactions to TV or computer speaker sounds.

Rottielover
November 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Any dog on TV is it a low grumble, and runs full force into the tv with his teeth
I find this weird because he does not have that reaction to live dogs. HMMMMMM
Any moving thing on TV he will lunge, and try to chase as he quietly barks at it.
Since he was a pup we have been struggling with that bad behaviour..Nothing is working to curb it other than a crate visit.

kylben
November 24th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Any dog on TV is it a low grumble, and runs full force into the tv with his teeth. I find this weird because he does not have that reaction to live dogs.

He sees a dog, but there's no smell. It's probably similar to us hearing someone talk and not being able to see them. It's like seeing a ghost. :eek:. Very confusing to him, at least.

--Kyle

Rottielover
November 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I do not know, but he reacts EVERYTIME there is a dog on tv

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Bailey loves the Telus commercials , they usually have bunnies or lizards, he'll stop whatever he's doing and just watch the commercial :laughing: , if a baby cries on TV , Nelly will go up to the tv and tilts her head and smells the screen (I can tell with the slobber on the screen afterwards)

I just plugged in the speakers on the computer , watched Hazel's videos of the Setters , Nelly was running around the house growling with a low bark , I showed her where the sound comes from , but she still was running around searching for who was barking.

want4rain
November 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Mister tries to eat the Wii pointer hand thing. when he hears the music come on he runs in to the living room to watch and eat the hand as it goes actoss the TV. sillly pooch!!

-ash

SnowDancer
November 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Our dogs must like the same shows. My Eskie was in bed watching TV - he is very handy with the remote (and opening the car windows) - and he also heard and reacted to the turkey calls made by the kids. He reacts pretty much to all animal sounds on TV. Eskies have a prey drive for squirrels, but he is now a "bird" dog. I think he would die of fear though if I rented him "The Birds" movie. One day when we were out a whole flock of birds landed on our lawn as we were on it - and 2 landed on his back. Now when we see a bird his paw points as does his tail.

krdahmer
November 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
My Buddy has 'his' shows... AFV and Funniest Pets & People, he watches the whole hour laying in front of our 61 inch tv.... occassionally getting up to slap a squirell, bird, cat or dog clip! :rolleyes::laughing: He's been doing this for a couple years now and actually turns around and looks at me when commercials come on like I've done something!:o The others don't watch as much but do enjoy watching Chase (DH) play video games and I have two DVD's just for them called Video Catnip... Buddy will sit and watch the whole DVD, and all the special additions too. The other 5 watch for maybe 10 minutes to a half hour tops then lose interest. But Buddy is my little couch potato! Oh and if there is any chasing involving animals Buddy sometimes tries to join in by jumping up like he can get into the TV!! The other day was a big dog chasing a smaller one and boy did he ever want to play too.:cat:

Redcrew71
November 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Our Goldens love watching the WILD TV channel...all the hunting shows on. All the bird calling or live geese ducks etc. Usually they watch the tv then go up and smell the tv and look behind it to see where the sound is coming from.

They get quite perky when a whole flock is coming in then "BLAM, BLAM" the hunters shoot them down....lol

We found our new male cat 2 nites ago watching tv while sitting beside my wife on the couch. The tv show. Was a squirrel going up a post to the bird feeder. His eyes wide open...just watching it.

t.pettet
November 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I watch alot of nature shows and when wolves, coyotes or foxes are howling they all get glued to the TV - if the howling goes on for more than a minute they will respond but it sounds more like squeaks (they are poms and pom mixes) than any tribal hunting rituals.

CearaQC
November 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
LOL

Great stories!!

Wild TV channel huh? Never heard of it. We have Starchoice. I'll have to check it out and see if they have it.

Edit: Nope Starchoice doesn't carry that channel. Am writing them to beg for them to start carrying it. Hubby would love it. Thanks for mentioning it.

mummummum
November 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Now when we see a bird his paw points as does his tail.

:laughing: An Eskie-Pointer ! Who knew?!

Longblades
November 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
We've observed several funny TV reactions but one of the cutest was one cat watching a bonfire on TV. He went over to the screen, stood up, reached out a paw and tapped the screen in several places. We hadn't wiped the screen off for a while and the little bit of static each tap gave off was priceless and did not deter him at all.

want4rain
November 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
gosh, you know what i hadnt thought abnout in a LONG LONG time?? Betsy and Lady (our cocker sisters who were 16 when they finally just fell apart and we PTS :candle::candle: love you puppies) use to get all riled up over the moose (http://cache.umusic.com/images/local/150/E20EC49D40E84D5BB8D48AA0764B63CB.jpg) walking across the screen from Northern Exposure.

:candle::candle::candle:(one for the moose)

-ash