Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fairly new golden owner

puppygirl
November 23rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Hi all-
I am very happy to say I own an adorable Golden Retriever named Haley.
She is 18 weeks now and we love her so much. We unfortunatly had to put down our blk. lab last year due to age (The hardest thing we have ever had to do) and did not think we would want a dog for years to come. Well, we all know how that goes. One night at dinner, we all said we miss having a dog. So, the next weekend we compiled a list of 5 breeds to look at and our second stop was Haley's litter. 30 seconds later I chose our puppy. She is so full of energy 24/7 and beautiful. I have turned into one of those "moms" that takes her dog everywhere (PetSmart knows us by name). She was voted "Biggest Flirt" her first day at puppy school! We know she will be a great family dog for us and have even mentioned getting another golden in a year. We also have a beautiful cat named "Cooper". Our dog and cat match perfectly in color. Cooper is 25lbs, he's not fat, just big boned. Coop rules the house and can hold his own with Haley. I would love to hear from other golden owners any advice they can give, this is our 1st golden. Also, she seems to only "sprinkle" when we are trying to get her to kennel up when we are leaving, but not all the time. She won't if we leave in the morning for work or school but will if we leave AFTER we have been home for awhile.
Any advice or known threads? :lovestruck:

CearaQC
November 24th, 2007, 07:41 AM
"Sprinkle" as in submissive urination?

I don't really know that much about it, but it should be very fixable.

Do you have pictures?

Goldens are really neat dogs. I never had one before. My first dog was a pure bred Collie (Lassie type) named Bo. :dog: It's been a real change for me mentally, going from an ankle biter/herder to a hunting dog.

But Goldens are amazing dogs as are labs.

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Welcome to pets.ca , we would love to see pictures of Haley ! I own and foster goldens and they are wonderful dogs :cloud9:

JanM
November 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hi there and welcome to the board! Two Goldens, Bpbby and Amber allow me to share their house along with Shadow, our cat.

Goldens are wonderful companions - good choice in dog breeds :D

Pictures, pictures, pictures - please..........

puppygirl
November 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how! I agree, they are a great breed. We had also looked at a yellow lab as well as Collies (my husbands family raised them in Scotland), St. Bernards and Greater Swiss Mtn. Goldens seem to suit are family and are active lifestyle best (soccer, football, snowboarding, running, etc.). We plan on taking her everywhere with us. Our sweet, sweet, Sadie -blk. lab-who we had to put down last year was a rescue (we rescued her at 7 mos.) and a little to nervous to take with us on some of our adventures. She had grown into a great family dog who loved to be with kids but was always a little to hyper and would never settle down when she was in new surrondings. Haley is sooo laid back, she has been to several games already and loves the kids on our team(s) and has made a few dog friends from others who bring them to the park.

Ford Girl
November 27th, 2007, 02:19 PM
There are some great people who are owned by golden's on this site...

I am owned by a golden. :lovestruck:, And my cat matches my dog too!! LOL! Goldens are a lot of fun, always active and interested in what you are doing...they need to be with their humans and included in fmaily outings, so you made a good choice. :thumbs up Secrets to keeping them happy and healthy, exercise and structure! They are quick learners and aim to please, you just need to tell them what is expected of them, they don't need a harsh hand, gentle and firm is all you need to be...and burn off all the pent up energy...every day, they need good hard exercise, and lots of socialization! :dog:

Pictures are a must, lots and lots of them please and thank you!! :cloud9:

budboybudboy77
November 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Goldens are a special , special breed I know you will have many great times with her.
I lost my Golden 2 days ago, I am still in shock.

Please post some pics if you have the time.
I have some pics in the other sections.

puppygirl
November 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It does take time to get over losing a best friend, especially if it was sudden. Our first dog we had as a family past last year and I still cry when I think of sweet Sadie. Yes, I will post pictures soon. Take care!

coppperbelle
November 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Goldens are a special , special breed I know you will have many great times with her.
I lost my Golden 2 days ago, I am still in shock.

Please post some pics if you have the time.
I have some pics in the other sections.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:
I have been there and it is so difficult. What helped me were my other two goldens.
Take care

I apologize for highjacking this thread.

coppperbelle
November 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I have been owned by goldens for the past 30 years. I have two of my own and have fostered many.
The piddling is normal for pups when they are excited or nervous.They usually outgrow it by the time they are a year old. Try to make going into the crate a positive experience. Tempt her with a treat or a favorite toy.
www.canadiangoldens.com is a great place to share information and ask specific golden questions. The archives of the site have tons of valuable information.

puppygirl
November 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM
You know, the minute I said that she was piddling, she seems to have stopped. We have made kenneling a positive experience for her and sometimes she will go in on her own if she is tired. Our biggest challenge now is finding a friend for her to play with consistently. I am looking into doggie daycare maybe once a week or a dog park. We live in a small suburban town and the nearest dog parks are in the "big cities" both about 30-35 miles away. Our best luck is at the soccer fields or on walking trails. I need a MOPS (mothers of puppies) group:laughing: Thanks for the advice, I will check out that web site.