Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is my dog Illegal?

Klurik
November 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Hey all. I recently moved to ontario with My 7 year old Pitt-Bulldog. We live outside Kingston in a rural area so I'm not too concerned about her at home, but when we get our new puppy we will be taking the dogs in town parks and other dog friendly areas for socialization. My dog is friendly and I refuse to muzzle her. Will I be committing a crime.

Klurik
November 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM

wdawson
November 23rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
first of all....WHAT A CUTIE :cloud9:.

if you moved from out of province....yes your dog is banned in ontario.
the law here says that any dog that has a likeness in looks to a pitbull is a pit:evil:...muzzles are a way of life in ontario.

by the way...its against the law to even transport a pit through ontario.

i have a pit/lab....if i leave the province for more than three months....my dog is not allowed back:rolleyes:

luckypenny
November 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Your dog is gorgeous, Kluric!

Unfortunately, I do think it is illegal for you to have a pittie mix :sad:, especially if you've moved to Ontario recently. I recommend you read this article carefully and pay particular attention to section 6. According to this, you're dog has been imported to Ontario, which, in of itself, is illegal :shrug: .

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/source/statutes/english/2005/elaws_src_s05002_e.htm

Lukka'sma
November 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Even the off leash parks in London have laws that require all pits to be on leash and muzzled in the park at all times.

seeker
November 23rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hey all. I recently moved to ontario with My 7 year old Pitt-Bulldog. We live outside Kingston in a rural area so I'm not too concerned about her at home, but when we get our new puppy we will be taking the dogs in town parks and other dog friendly areas for socialization. My dog is friendly and I refuse to muzzle her. Will I be committing a crime.

Technically your dog is illegal right now, "IF" she really is a pit-mix but to me she looks more like a American Bulldog "mix".
The law is being challenged and the part about the mixed breeds being included is under question by the ruling judge. This would mean that instead of the owners having to prove our dog is not a pit mix, the government would have to prove that he/she is a pit mix. This might sound like 6 or one and half a dozen of the other but it isn't. It means they have to spend money and bring in so called experts to prove it. If this ruling holds we would be able to challenge the experts with our own experts in a court room, where prevoiusly it would have not been up for a challenge.
You have disabled your private message link? I'd like to send you one.

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
I would ask around and try to find a Vet who is sympathetic to our cause and will certify her as a Bulldog mix.

CearaQC
November 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
It's a shame that pits have gotten a bad reputation.

Doesn't it seem that every decade has their "axis of evil" dog addition?

It seems almost like animal racism!

Stacer
November 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Super cute, I love her floppy ear tips! I really hope you don't run into any problems with the Ontario gov't for having brought her into the province.

NoahGrey
November 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM
AS long as your dog is spayed or nuetered and when in public wears a muzzle. I don't see a problem. If you refuse to have your dog muzzled, be perpared to suffer the consirquences. Your dog could be taken away and Put to sleep.

You have owned your dog before the ban came into a effect, you just need to follow ALL of the legistration to a T.

If you are crossing the boarder, coming into Ontario...you better make sure you have all Vet doc's, vaccines are up to date...inlcuding Rabies..since it is law to have your dog or any dog or cat for that matter to be rabie vaccinated.

ACO22

LavenderRott
November 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Whether your dog is friendly or not, if the law requires the she wear a muzzle in public, you need to obey the law. Part of the reason that people are so willing to allow laws like these to be passed is because soooo many owners don't obey the laws. Not only do "pit bulls" have a lousy reputation - there are people out there who say that the owners are nothing more then thugs.

There are many people who are working very hard to overturn these laws. You really do help them by obeying the laws that have been passed.

clm
November 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
My dog is friendly and I refuse to muzzle her. Will I be committing a crime.

Unfortunately, yes you will be committing a crime, which could result in your pretty dog to be taken away and put to sleep. Refusing to muzzle her when not on your property would be foolish. All it would take is a nasty neighbour or a not so nice person at the dog park to complain and that's the end of your dog.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
November 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
My dog is friendly and I refuse to muzzle her.

What you need is a fun and funky muzzle that will make people smile, something with flowers or polk-a-dots or pink fun-fur. I'm actually surprised there aren't more "fashionable and friendly" muzzle options available beyond the usual Hannibal Lector-esque cages and leather. Commercial venture, anyone? I did find this, but not much else: http://www.tailsbythelake.com/happymuzzle.html

Circecat1
November 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM
The issue is more serious on whether you need to muzzle your dog. Since you moved into Ont. after the ban took effect, your dog is not legally allowed at all. It doesn't matter if you muzzle her or not; if they claim your dog is a pit bull or a pit mix, they can kill her, and you cannot do anything about it.

I hate to say it, but you and your dog are in deep trouble. The law is idiotic, unfair, and cruel, but considering the constitutional challenge against it was struck down, there is nothing you can do.

CearaQC
November 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
the usual Hannibal Lector-esque cages and leather.

I LOL'd at that!!! Good description, and what an excellent idea!