Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Christmas tree or no Christmas tree

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
This is my first Christmas with the little ones. I was wondering what the rest of you all do about decorations.

I'd like to put up my tree this year but I'm guessing its probably going to be a bad idea. An accident waiting to happen.:laughing:

I usually put up a fake tree, and I have a few ornaments that are plastic so they wouldn't break, but I'm still a bit nervous about these crazy kitties chewing everything up.

Is there an easier way to make the place more holiday like and not have them be a danger to the gang?

krdahmer
November 23rd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ha! I hear ya. We have never had a tree because its just too many things for them to get into. What I do is put garland and lights on the ceiling, and a select few cat safe figurines and stuff out. That way it's still Christmassy and sparkly, but I don't have to worry about what they will get into when I'm not home. Once we have a place where I can have french doors and a seperate room for a tree I would like to get one (always wanted a white tree) but for now I decorate outside and out of their reach!:rolleyes::D

bendyfoot
November 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Secure the tree by tying to to a railing, post, or sturdy peice of furniture. Better yet, secure it in two places if possible If they climb it, it wont' fall over. Don't put any breakable decorations (or any, really) the bottom foot or so of the tree. It's really not that noticeable. I was really worried about the animals and the tree the first year, but other than Riley being a tad exploratory in the pressies, we've had no problems at all (3 cats one dog...) We'll see how Jaida does this year.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/2058183172_43e71e0c63.jpg

Lukka'sma
November 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
This will be Lukka'a second Christmas and I don't think I will be decorating inside this year either. By next year she will be completely settled and Christmas will be back to normal, but just in case she wants to chomp on the decorations (she still acts quite puppyish at times) I won't risk it this year. With cats however I don't think it matters how old they get they still love to run up the tree:D

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I think I'm going to put out some garland and see how that works. If anything I can put the tree up with some lights. I do have a table I can set it up next to and tie it to so that it doesn't topple over. LOL, of course it will make it easier for them to access the tree, but it won't topple over.

I'll do it over the weekend and see how they do.

chico2
November 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I decorate my house to the maximum:laughing:but only have one smaller tree standing on a side-table,however I have garlands and lights on the fire-place mantle,I also have a lit up Swedish star in the window(IKEA),plus lots of other things all over the house,LOVE Christmas decorations.
I am safe with the tree,we do have french doors, I can close to the livingroom,when we are not there,if I did nt,I would ancor the tree to the wall,for sure.

Ford Girl
November 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Last year I put up a tiny fake tree on a table, and it worked well, this year I think I will do the real deal, full size real tree!! Maybe I should build a fence around it? Gawd, I can pictire it now...wrapping paper, orniment hangers, pine needles...:eek:

white wrabbit
November 23rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
pet i worry about the kids!!! and what they will do to my tree!!! the one year we had our only decorated from out of 2 year olds reach and up!!!

all my stuff we keep plastic.. and we kept our tree in the basement living room where the dog could not have access to it.. (real tree and well we had Old Blue dog then male was afraid of that leg going up on it)

http://www.whataboutcats.com/christmas_safety.html

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I wish I had a section to corner off, but considering I couldn't even keep one kitten from three others for a week, I doubt blocking the tree with anything will do much for me.:laughing:

white wrabbit
November 23rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
:sorry::offtopic: but saw this it was cute it goes with christmas!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

HOW TO WRAP PRESENTS WITH DOGS IN THE HOUSE

1. Gather presents, boxes, paper, etc. in middle of living room floor.
2. Get tape back from puppy.
3. Remove scissors from older dog's mouth.
4. Open box.
5. Take puppy out of box.
6. Remove tape from older dog's mouth.
7. Take scissors away from puppy.
8. Put present in box.
9. Remove present from puppy's mouth.
10. Put back in box after removing puppy from box.
11. Take scissors from older dog & sit on them.
12. Remove puppy from box & put on lid.
13. Take tape away from older dog.
14. Unroll paper.
15. Take puppy OFF box.
16. Cut paper being careful not to cut puppy's foot or nose that is getting in the way as it "helps".
17. Let puppy tear remaining paper.
18. Take puppy off box.
19. Wrap paper around box.
20. Remove puppy from box & take wrapping paper from its mouth.
21. Tell older dog to fetch the tape so he will stop stealing it.
22. Take scissors away from puppy.
23. Take tape older dog is holding.
24. Quickly tape one spot before taking scissors from older dog & sitting on them again.
25. Fend off puppy trying to steal tape & tape another spot.
26. Take bow from older dog.
27. Go get roll of wrapping paper puppy ran off with.
28. Take scissors from older dog who took them when you got up.
29. Give pen to older dog to hold so he stops licking your face.
30. Remove puppy from present & hurriedly slap tape on to hold the paper on.
31. Take now soggy bow from puppy & tape on since the sticky stuff no longer sticks.
32. Take pen from older dog, address tag & affix while puppy tries to eat pen.
33. Grab present before puppy opens it & put it away.
34. Clean up mess puppy & older dog made playing tug-of-war with remnants of wrapping paper.
35. Put away rest of wrapping supplies & tell dogs what good helpers they are.

kara1
November 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
watch out for the icicle garland(the stringy stuff) a friend of mine had there cat eat it and it was a nasty surgery to remove from the cats insides

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking garland in general will be out this year. Some of their little toys have that same metallic type material so I know they'd have a field day with that. LOL, maybe just a plain tree with some lights?

krdahmer
November 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
I'm actually going to try a tree from Wegman's over the river this year, it's just kinda wirey and white with built in lights. LOL and I will probably still end up putting it outside. :rolleyes: Mine love to chew the small light bulbs...:eek::eek: found that out the hard way. So I'm not sure if I can chance it, although it is small enough I could put it away in another room if I'm gone too long.

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Been wondering the same thing , but I just have to have one ! Only one of the fuzzbutts I'm afraid will do some :evil: : Paddington !!! So the spray water bottle will be in my hand on all times :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I think I might get some extra garland and hang it around the bottom part of the loft. I'll have to ask my dad for a ladder but at least I can decorate that way.

My problem is , I don't have anywhere i could transfer a tree too while I'm gone. I don't have a door separating my bedroom since its upstairs.

CearaQC
November 24th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I don't decorate for the holidays at all any more. Too lazy I guess!

When I was a pre-teen, the family cat proceeded to climb up our fake tree and when it toppled over, it broke in half. I just find it too big of a pain to even bother any more. LOL :crazy:

We just have nice meals and skip the presents at Christmas, because time with family/friends is more important than fattening the wallets of corporations in my opinion.

SnowDancer
November 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
We haven't had a tree in years. We used to have multiple pets and frankly a 22 lb. cat is not an "Angel" on top of tree - surrounded by Dachshund "ornaments" all trying to eat the real ornaments. The only plant I can keep alive is a Poinsettia - and they look pretty sad in June - but my Eskie thinks they are his food - so none of that either.

Jack1337
November 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
My old cat, who was hyper 24/7 didn't mess with the Christmas tree much for some reason, he did knock it down a couple times over the years, but that was mostly by accident while he was running around and stuff.
I don't ever remember him trying to climb it or anything.

My dog was fine with it too, don't remember her showing any interest in it whatsoever, she'd knock it down sometimes but that was no big deal.

We'll see how the Christmas tree fairs this year with my new kitten, she might be a persian but she is WAY too active when awake and manages to climb up anywhere, I honestly don't see the tree surviving this year, but thats ok I don't really care much about Christmas trees anyway, as long as my cat doesn't get hurt or anything I'll be happy.

Masha
November 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
We had our tree up last year and our cat did not care for it, didnt touch the ornaments and didnt climb it.

This year however, with our puppy here, we will not put up a tree -- that would be an accidet waiting to happen... maybe next year :fingerscr

want4rain
November 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Wegman's

*wistful* i sure wish we had a Wegman's down here..... *dreamey sigh* :cloud9:

we did a little tree the first year we had the boys. they liked sleeping under it, under the skirt but no one ever tried climbing. thats a frazier fir.... last year we got a white pine and they went bananas over it. thought it smelled as good as catnip!!! we use plastic or cloth ornaments because of the kids and the cats.

we never had issues.

i would say maybe get a small tree?? depends on how much it means to you. :) expect those satin covered bulbs to be disposable. keep plastic, wooden or metal decorations, no glass. no metal hooks, attach everything with yarn or string. none of the tinsel or anything else that looks like tinsel. cover the cords in bitter apple (just in case) and dont put it up anywhere they can jump onto the top.... cause they will try!! i promise!!

-ash

Dracko
November 24th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Here's a suggestion. If you do put up a tree DO NOT PUT A TOPPER ON THAT HAS A BELL!!!

Last year I did and it took me a while to figure out once the cats got in the tree the bell drove them nuts and they wanted to "get it." :o

Jack1337
November 25th, 2007, 02:15 AM
:sorry::offtopic: but saw this it was cute it goes with christmas!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

HOW TO WRAP PRESENTS WITH DOGS IN THE HOUSE

1. Gather presents, boxes, paper, etc. in middle of living room floor.
2. Get tape back from puppy.
3. Remove scissors from older dog's mouth.
4. Open box.
5. Take puppy out of box.
6. Remove tape from older dog's mouth.
7. Take scissors away from puppy.
8. Put present in box.
9. Remove present from puppy's mouth.
10. Put back in box after removing puppy from box.
11. Take scissors from older dog & sit on them.
12. Remove puppy from box & put on lid.
13. Take tape away from older dog.
14. Unroll paper.
15. Take puppy OFF box.
16. Cut paper being careful not to cut puppy's foot or nose that is getting in the way as it "helps".
17. Let puppy tear remaining paper.
18. Take puppy off box.
19. Wrap paper around box.
20. Remove puppy from box & take wrapping paper from its mouth.
21. Tell older dog to fetch the tape so he will stop stealing it.
22. Take scissors away from puppy.
23. Take tape older dog is holding.
24. Quickly tape one spot before taking scissors from older dog & sitting on them again.
25. Fend off puppy trying to steal tape & tape another spot.
26. Take bow from older dog.
27. Go get roll of wrapping paper puppy ran off with.
28. Take scissors from older dog who took them when you got up.
29. Give pen to older dog to hold so he stops licking your face.
30. Remove puppy from present & hurriedly slap tape on to hold the paper on.
31. Take now soggy bow from puppy & tape on since the sticky stuff no longer sticks.
32. Take pen from older dog, address tag & affix while puppy tries to eat pen.
33. Grab present before puppy opens it & put it away.
34. Clean up mess puppy & older dog made playing tug-of-war with remnants of wrapping paper.
35. Put away rest of wrapping supplies & tell dogs what good helpers they are.

XD
this is so true

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Oh no, believe me no bells.

Lissa
November 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
We've put up our tree and decorations since kittenhood/puppyhood and never had any issues. Every morning Minnow's knocked off a dozen ornaments but since Dodger brings them to me its not a big deal. :laughing:
The only thing we stopped doing when Minnow came along was using the icicle garland. She played with it whereas our previous cats ignored the whole Christmas season. :p

Lukka'sma
November 25th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Here's a suggestion. If you do put up a tree DO NOT PUT A TOPPER ON THAT HAS A BELL!!!

Last year I did and it took me a while to figure out once the cats got in the tree the bell drove them nuts and they wanted to "get it." :o

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/pianoman5355317/rotfl2.gifOMG, sorry for laughing Dracko but this just cracked me up. I can just picture the efforts made by the cats to get that bell:laughing::laughing:

Dracko
November 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Well, last night I put up my tree just so I could leave it up for a week or so before putting decorations on it. Let the cats get it out of their system.

It is an artificial tree that is in 3 parts. I only had the bottom set up in the stand when the first cat (Smitty, who's in my avatar) was in the tree. Set the second part up and he climbed higher. Tried to attack my fingers as I spread out the branches and then...poof...tree fell over! Wasn't even set up. :o

I finished setting it up and it was immediately knocked over. Got up this morning and, of course, it was knocked over. :laughing: But it's easy to just stand it up vs having the ornaments and lights on it and having to fix all of them. I learned that from last year. :lightbulb:

Today I am going to try to secure it with string at the back to see if that helps. Most likely I'll come downstairs and it will be tipped over just hanging there by the string. :loser: It is on carpet so I'm going to also use duct tape to tape down the stand. I used to tape it down when I had a hardwood floor it sat on but with carpet not sure if it will stick.

It is so funny, though, to see one or two in the tree and almost in slow motion the tree begins to fall and you see 5 cats RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN. :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
That's actually a good idea to have it out for a bit before putting decorations on it. I may try that this week.

Dracko
November 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Went out to do some errands. Came home and it was still up. :eek: I haven't secured it yet and I think they are just playing with me. Letting me feel all secure that they won't knock it over. :rolleyes:

Frenchy
November 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Went out to do some errands. Came home and it was still up. :eek: I haven't secured it yet and I think they are just playing with me. Letting me feel all secure that they won't knock it over. :rolleyes:

:laughing: oh yes , I can see this happening , no cats in x-mas tree all week , put the ornaments next week end , you coming home from work on Monday = :eek: :eek: :eek:

:laughing:

Please make sure to take pictures :D

Longblades
November 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm with Lissa. The only thing we've forgone is the long strands of tinsel that they might swallow. Low hanging ornaments are non-breakable, or of a type that won't hurt them. The only problem we've had is a kitten who preferred to drink the Christmas tree water (real tree) instead of his own. That was cured by piling the presents close to the tree (Yay, need lots of presents :))

Love4himies
November 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
:laugh:A Christmas tree with 4 kittens in the house :laugh: Have fun with that! :p. Sorry I don't have any suggestions.

First year with 2 cats, broke tree, bought a premium with heavy duty stand. They still climbed but could not break. Did not put any icicles on the tree and all ornaments were two feet off the ground for obvious reasons. Tree looked funny, but did last for the season.

My daughter had two young cats, she takes a picture as soon as she finishes the tree, then shows the pictures to her guests to let them know what her tree is suppose to look like. Takes her cats 24 hours to destroy.

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
LOL, no I've decided on wall decorations instead. I'll get a few wreaths, and some garland and icicle lights I can hang off the bottom of the loft area. At least that way it will look somewhat festive and the little buggers can't get to it.

I'd briefly thought about just putting the plain tree with some lights, then thought they might chew the lights and the tree. So I nixed that idea.

Hey, it's no big deal. At least I don't have to go through the ordeal of putting the tree up, getting the decorations out, then putting it all away again after new years. At least this way I have only a few things to put away, and heck, I may even leave the icicle lights hanging just for the lighting effect.:D

allymack
November 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
hmm, i have been wondering wha ti will do for the christmas season this year, espically with enzo around, he gets in to anything and everything, i am think of taking an empty box and wrapping it to lett him see that it is nothing exciting, and i guess we will have to tie the tree extra tight this year,( we always have ever since we had oreo:sad: ) but we still used tinsel then, he wouldnt touch, ( we made sure he didnt find it interseting) but that is a different story with nero and enzo, they will eat anything they can find, so i dont relly know what to do, hopefully a big green tree in the middle of our living rooom wont interest enzo too much :rolleyes:

dmc123
November 26th, 2007, 06:29 PM
LOL, no I've decided on wall decorations instead. I'll get a few wreaths, and some garland and icicle lights I can hang off the bottom of the loft area. At least that way it will look somewhat festive and the little buggers can't get to it.

I'd briefly thought about just putting the plain tree with some lights, then thought they might chew the lights and the tree. So I nixed that idea.

Hey, it's no big deal. At least I don't have to go through the ordeal of putting the tree up, getting the decorations out, then putting it all away again after new years. At least this way I have only a few things to put away, and heck, I may even leave the icicle lights hanging just for the lighting effect.:D

We are going to try something new this year...I don't mind not having a tree but roomie wants one again so badly. It's been about 6 years. We've already started our experiment and taking pictures as we go. If it works, I will post pictures of the whole process.

In a nutshell, it is an artificial 4 ft tree - mounted on the wall. Yep, kinda like a half tree but up high enough to not be too tempting.

More later and good luck to all with their trees and decorations.

Diane

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
That's an interesting idea. I'd like to see pictures of that.

dmc123
November 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Ok, here's the plan and first stage - to get them used to it being here.

I am really hopeful that this will work in our household - no extra floor space anyway :)

1st pic - tree post attached to board, and hung over closet door
2nd pic - close up of the hardware attaching post to the door (plan to be able to reuse this in years to come if it works, remove branches, unhang from door, and store all in the attic)
3rd pic - stage 1 - tree top only - add more each day to avoid too much interest :)

Diane

ancientgirl
November 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
LOL, I love your last comment. "Add a little every day to avoid interest"

These are smarter creatures than us aren't they?

dmc123
November 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
lol yes they are! But if we want to "all" get our way once in a while, we keep trying!

So far Stanley is the only one to even get on the cat tree and look up there!

Diane

growler~GateKeeper
November 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Throughout the years I've had 3 dogs -2 females 1 male & 3 cats - 1 male & 2 females

All the dogs ignored the xmas tree, all of my cats used to curl up under the tree, one 1 cat (Mischief - aptly named of course :D) like to gently bat @ 1 particular ornament - a mouse :D. But none of them ever climbed/knocked over the tree or broke an ornament ;)

Dracko
November 26th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thus far mine is now duct taped down to the floor (but it's carpet so not sure how it will hold) and the back is secured to the wall with a type of wire that is coated so the cats can't cut themselves. Have to see how this will do. I think as soon as the ornaments go up they'll be back up it.

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I'm encouraged to at least try to put up my tree. I'll have it up with nothing on it for a few days and see how they do.

rjesak
November 27th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I have to say, Ancientgirl, you're missing out if you DON'T have a tree. We had one with two two-month-old kittens in the house and we've got tons of pictures of tiny heads sticking out of improbable places. :cloud9: LOL! They were always up inside it - I think they were very sad when it came time to take it down!!! :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I have to say, Ancientgirl, you're missing out if you DON'T have a tree. We had one with two two-month-old kittens in the house and we've got tons of pictures of tiny heads sticking out of improbable places. :cloud9: LOL! They were always up inside it - I think they were very sad when it came time to take it down!!! :laughing:

That does sound cute, but I'd have to do some major tying down, because Kiska and Maks might not topple the tree, but once Vlad gets his 11 pound butt up there along with the not so Little Miss Oksana, I can see it all coming down in slow motion.

TIMBER!!!!!!

rjesak
November 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM
:laughing::laughing:

I know!!! Fortunately the two kittens never tried to climb the tree after that first year. I never figured out if they were just smart enough to know it wouldn't hold them or if they were just too lazy!