Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Barky ( and extremely Humpy) Eskie

onster
November 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
I'm wondering if the more experienced dog owners may have some advice for me to pass on to my friend, who has an Eskie ( i belive thats how u spell it). Ive gone over to my friend's house twice and was warned before hand that his dog sparky was a little intimidating, barking at strangers. I was pretty sure Id be fine and went anyway but wow..I mean wow.

I thought the dog was just barky, but no it was barking, growling, teeth baring jumping up at u. The first time I was there for 2 hours and he did not stop barking and snarling at me, honestly I was afraid to move in case I was bitten! (Sparky has bitten 'only surface bites' my friend's mom twice already).

After a while though he kind of settled down and then I pet him a little ( still wary though) and he proceeded to hump me! and then bark at me when he was made to stop. I asked how they walk him if hes so agressive to people on the street....apparently he's less agressive outside of his territory but basically they dont take him to parks or walk him much (10-15 mins twice a day) or let him out in the yard when people are out because he barks and barks.

Yesterday I went over again and the same thing...bark bark bark..but no growling. I pet him quite a bit and he even flopped over many times for me to pet his belly, but then when u stop he kinda nibbles/bites on ure hand to pet some more! And he humped my leg, my arm, everything! He definately settled down with the barking tho...

I told my friend he prolly needs to go to obedience (hes a purebred, about 3 yrs old) and he said he was too old (???) and they already tried. I noticed that Sparky only listens when u have food ( he will roll over only when u have a treat) so he seems very food motivated.

Any good advice anyone? I really am worried that this dog is gonna get more and more out of controL! The humping isnt scary (just gross!) but the barking and snarling!!! Apparently when company comes over or repair ppl they just lock him in the laundry room :sad:

bendyfoot
November 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
He's most certainly NOT too old for obedience classes, and it sound like they need to find a good one-on-one trainer who will work with the whole family. That dog is out of control and could be dangerous IMO.
The barking, snarling, mouthing when petting, humping...they're all his way of saying "I'm the boss, I'm in charge, I call the shots around here". This guy needs a serious attitude adjustment or it will get worse. 30 mins of walking is no where NEAR enough exercise for that kind of dog. Upping that considerably might be a good start.
But without proper training and a serious committment on the owner's part, this dog is a ticking time-bomb. If I were you, I would COMPLETELY ignore the dog when you're at the house. Don't look at him, don't touch him, don't make eye contact, don't even talk about him. He's bossing you around, and a dog like that should not be trusted until the owners have shown him his proper rank in the pack (below all humans) and he reliably listens to obedience commands. Yowza. I hope there's no children in that house.

onster
November 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks bendyfoot, I thought it was an "im the master" kind of thing too, but I dont have any experience with dogs.

Unfortunately my friend's situation is a bit hard. He is my uni friend and his parents got divorced, yet have a business in another province. So they shuttle back and forth and leave the eldest children ( 2 older boys, my friend and his older brother who comes over often from a nearby town) in charge of the youngest in Grade 9. The dog is the youngest brothers, 'he had wanted a dog forever'. So now the only permenant adult in the house is my friend whos going in to his first year of pharmacy in the fall- needless to say he's extremely busy ( and he doesnt even like dogs!!).

He seems to think its ok and that eskie's are guard dogs, so its kind of in him to be like that. Also that he wont really do anything 'it's all bark'. I'm trying to convince him otherwise, i suspected the humping was a dominance thing too (my cats hump sometimes..but i think theyre just frisky, lol).

As u can see he is a beautiful dog, but like u said, a timebomb. I will try to convince my friend to try talking to his parents maybe?

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
SnowDancer has an Eskie so let's hope she jumps in here...

But, I have to agree. It's only a matter of time before this dog does someone major damage.

He needs a professional behaviour consult and a one-on-one trainer.

onster
November 23rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
thanks mummummum...

It would be great to hear from other Eskie owners since my friend brushes it off as instinct to protect in the Eskie breed. I almost wish they would give the dog to a rescue before it gets really bad since they really dont have the time

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I pm'd her just in case she misses this thread.

SnowDancer
November 23rd, 2007, 11:43 PM
It is nearly midnight, but just saw the post and Mum3's PM. Very pretty pup -looks a lot like my 3 3/4 year old male Eskie. Definitely the dog is going to need some non-treat based training but Eskie's are an aggressive breed (but often snuggle bunnies with their own family and a few chosen outsiders). I will think about this tonight - have to take my guy out now. What I would also suggest is that you post on the Eskie specific board - www.eskie.net. You can certainly lurk about and do searches of various behaviors without joining the board - but to post you would have to sign up. And 3 is definitely not too old - but Eskies are extremely stubborn dogs - and puppies to the end.

LavenderRott
November 23rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Personally, I am not buying the whole "they are an aggressive breed" nonsense. If a rottweiler or any other large breed of dog displayed this behaviour it most certainly would not be acceptable and I wouldn't find it acceptable in my pom.

Bendy is most certainly correct. This dog runs the house. Since no one has shown him the rules, he is making them up on his own.

Personally, I wouldn't walk in the front door if the dog was loose. At least until someone has taken a serious step towards solving the problem.

onster
November 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
thanks snowdancer...I'll have a look at that site. With the family he is a very friendly dog (doesnt growl at them!) but my friend's gf ( lives with them) told me when I was petting him that if I stopped he might bite my hand. She also told me/warned me not to make sudden movements next to her cuz he'd start barking at me again thinking i was going to hurt her??? He will do this to her if she makes sudden movements to 'his owner' my friend's little bro. Will even do the same to the elder bro if he thinks he is hurting the lil bro (play wrestling etc). I know one of the 'bite' incidents with his mom was because they wanted him to come back inside the house from the yard (Dog willl NOT listen, u need a treat for him to come in) and so she made it as if they were going for a walk...but when he realized that they were just going out the garage and leaving him there he snapped at her I guess, she bled slightly. They both laughed at the humping thing and said, well u know when he starts humping u he will accept u (????) because apparently once he's humped new comers enough he's ok with them :confused:

Also something that took me by surprise was when he was humping my arm (eww) and I wanted to get up/ get him off me, the gf came with a bar stool chair towards Sparky "sparky no" and sparky ran away and when he came near again she would do that. I asked and she said oh well he's just scared of it, thinks it will attack him or something. I dunno, I'm close friends with them but i think they have it all wrong! so very wrong.

I dont know if I will be going over again, because he calmed down the 2nd time..maybe he will be better with me after. At the same time, that is some scary stuff!!! I really was like ok , so ure dog barks, i still wanna see the cutie! ( i'd seen pics) but man as I got in the door...Holy ****. The gf even told me that sometimes when walking down the street ppl may want to pet him and b4 they can say hes not friendly they go near and the snarling etc. In that case tho shouldnt the dog wear a muzzle?

SnowDancer
November 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Onster - definitely bounce around the Eskie site - seaching for all behaviours you have mentioned - you will find ALL of them. AND, you will find references to the Eskie breed being inclined to be aggressive - that is the bottom line - to different degrees - varies by dog - my guy is middle of the road, but is aloof with strangers - but very good in controlled environment. I take him to day care once a week at his groomer's and once behind the gate, he allows all of the big dogs - and most are big - to have their way with him - such a guy! He is also excellent when he has to see the vet - when he is scared in a professional environment, he quickly adjusts his attitude. This is the first dog we have boarded. We home board we a young woman he adores and he is very good at her house with her friends (although a bit jealous of her new boyfriend - that is a different dynamic). My guy only humps on Thurs. nights - after a day at day care where he is humped constantly. As for the barking, well Eskies are barking foods - just as my hounds were. They are also serious jumpers - my guy is 22 lbs. - so a small Standard, but could jump a 5 ft. fence from a standing position. He is NEVER off leash with me - no road sense anyway - and Eskies do have a prey drive. They are also ALERT dogs more than Guard Dogs - they will alert you to a possible problem so that you can solve and protect them. They are also very food motivated which is why treat based training can be a disaster (I know, we went through this) then at age 2 had some private training - no treats. They are very territorial in their own homes - and yes sudden movements or playing by family members can result in the dog taking action. My guy likes the 3 year old who lives next door but as soon as he sees her parents his eyes narrow and he keeps close watch - a babysitter. The girl fried should not be scaring the Eskie with a bar stool - that will only make things far worse - and Eskies remember everything. If you move the sugar bowl on the table they will notice - and they remember people they don't like - and unfortunately people who resemble people they don't like often are lumped together. We walk out dog using a harness to help with the pulling but also alternate with a Martingale for some control - maybe get the pup a Martingale for Christmas. I also would not tell people the Eskie is not friendly - just that he is in training. I don't like people petting my guy because you never know what will cause the dog to react - or if the person will say pull the dog's ear - we live in a very lawsuit happy society. When you give the Eskie a cookie try to bend down so that he can take it from your hand - if he had to jump and has the typical Eskie jaws, teeth and claws of death, your hand will likely get grazed - it is not biting - just big teeth. When my Eskie passes out, his canines hang out - and he can destroy a toy faster than a seriously big dog. When you stop petting his tummy, he will try to move your hand back - not trying to bite you, but loves a tummy rub. Is the posted picture recent? I ask because although my dog will be 3 years and 8 months next weekend (Eskies mature late so every month counts) - he doesn't look much different than when he was one. If picture is recent, Sparky is very well cared for - coat looks good and so do eyes. We feed our guy a Salmon based kibble - Eskies do well on fish based foods - and he drinks bottled water - that is how I cleared up yellowing of eyes that started at 7 months - tip I learned on Eskie board. The Eskie board people will tell you the NILIF training method and in many ways it is good. BUT, Eskies do not like to be yelled at - always use a firm voice - yelling only makes things much worse. Eskies do not do well in a rescue/kennel environment - they need loving folks about. Please bounce around the Eskie board and then post back after reading all of the comments. You can do a search and get all kinds of info and then you will have a seriously good idea of what kind of pups Eskies are. My Dachshunds were super Alpha so I was used to aggressive (but not with me!) dogs - just didn't expect it with Fluffo (not his name) but since he gains weight so easily!!

onster
November 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM
wow thanks for all that snowdancer.

Since he is not my dog I really don't know what they are feeding him etc. But I had bought toys and treats (organic peanut butter karob or soemthing like that) for a stray my brother found but the dog found a home before I could give him the doggy pressies. I gave them the toys and treats instead and they chucked the treats because they said he is on a strict diet, which is good I guess. He only eats his kibble and special treats (in restricted amounts) or his stomache gets upset. I mean do no get me wrong, they do take care of him and take him to the groomers (tho they said that they dont like him at the vets anymore because he bit them the last time? Apparently they hurt him while grooming, tugged his fur or something). His eyes dont have any yellowing at all, just gunk that the gf cleans often.

He really likes the gf, despite the stool thing..they all do that to him. And funny about the yeling because when I was there the first time and Sparky was bark bark bark bark, a phonecall came in and my friend yelled at him to shuttup and he did quiet down...for a bit. I will direct them to the site u gave and also tell them about ure experiences. I hope all goes well!

SnowDancer
November 25th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Best of luck! If you get a chance, take a browse through the Eskie site and you will see Sparky times 10,000! Good that he is on careful diet - Eskies have iffy stomachs - but huge appetites. A pretty boy - as is my guy - very popular with the ladies.