Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quick question re: surviving Parvo

stylistchic
November 23rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
My puppy contracted Parvo 1 week before she was due for her second set of vaccines. I hospitalized her for a week, and brought her out of it. However, since she's been home, she's been reluctant to let me out of her sight. She was much more independent prior to her hospitalization, and now, now she clings to me. It breaks me heart to leave her and go to work everyday so I've been taking her to doggy daycare but even then when I leave her there she crys and howls as I leave.

I'm not sure what to do to help her realize I'll always come back.

growler~GateKeeper
November 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
More of a separation anxiety issue than surviving Parvo (which btw is not very common :sad: so YAY for Clover) issue since Clover is past that ;) :thumbs up

You could start with short time periods alone in the house (your holiday weekend now is a good time to start) say 5 min - don't make a fuss about leaving her, step out the door, lock it, wait 5 mins & come back - again don't make a "happy crazy I missed you so much" kinda fuss that reinforces the behaviour she has now. You can work up from there to longer time periods @ various times in the day not always the same time cuz then she's always expecting you back in the middle of the day for example.

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I agree totally. I did a quick Search using "Separation Anxiety" and found there are pages of great threads here.