Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I teach my cat not to play with my cords and stuff?

Jack1337
November 22nd, 2007, 12:40 AM
I have my gaming systems, computers and everything here and she just LOVES playing with all the cords, weird but she seems to understand when I tell her not to sometimes, still the moment I turn my back she is at it again.
Also how do I teach her so she doesn't go out on the balcony or near windows, cause if she falls she aint surviving the fall.

krdahmer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
I've always used the water bottle and it's been effective here, especially for the doors. As for the cables and stuff, I always make sure all the blind ropes are pulled tight and up high wrapped over the top so they can't pull them down, and we bought these things called cable cuffs to neaten all our electronics stuff. Other than that, just make sure she has lots that she would rather play with.

Jack1337
November 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM
I see, so I guess I'll have to resort to spraying her with some water if I don't want her to go somewhere, I really don't want to stress her out at all. So, that won't stress her out too much?

badger
November 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
If the door to the balcony is open, she will be drawn to it. Why should she fall? If the railings are unusually wide, have you thought of putting a piece of wire or some other kind of barrier along the edge? Take her outside yourself and see what happens.
She sounds like a kitten and they are always always curious. Play with her more often and provide other distractions.

krdahmer
November 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
I try not to spray them directly except for the first time, then I only spray near them, then just shake the bottle and have mine trained now so I just make the spray bottle sound and they stop what they are doing.

Jack1337
November 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
If the door to the balcony is open, she will be drawn to it. Why should she fall?

My other cat would just jump on top of the railings and walk on them, and from there he'd jump all the way to my parent's room, he'd sometimes fall during that jump, or just slip while walking on the railings, or fall while trying to catch a bird, he'd sometimes catch a pidgin and bring it inside lol. That cat was a complete wackjob.
I also had a friend who got a kitten and it fell from the same hight and died.

Either way, it's not safe for her out there so I'll have to resort to the spray bottle method it seems.

phoozles
November 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
To get her away from the cords, you can always try one of those 'bad tasting' sprays, but I tried that once and it seemed to bother me more than the cat! Your best bet while she is a kitten is to use the water bottle and try to distract her while she's doing something bad - they tend to forget what they're doing after about thirty seconds. :D

clm
November 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
I have one cat that is now an adult and still loves to chew on cords :frustrated:

As a result, I have to keep all cords well hidden.

Cindy

Gazoo
November 22nd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Citrus/Lemon smell can work too -- it really offends the kitty's sense of smell