Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog with colitis

SableCollie
November 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi all, some of you may remember me, I used to post a while back. Anyway, we have a dog at my shelter, 8 yr old neutered male cocker spaniel that was returned for housebreaking issues, he has been diagnosed with colitis. Obviously this makes the housebreaking thing more difficult. Some days his stool is normal, some days it is very loose and mucousy, and sometimes it is total diarrhea. Vet wanted him on science diet prescription w/d for the added fiber. I do not want the dog on this if at all possible. We were going to try adding some canned pumpkin to his food for fiber, he is also on a digestive enzyme/probiotic blend. Any thoughts on a food that might help, or any supplements are appreciated. Right now we have Fromm, Origen, Canidae, Nature's Variety Instinct, Natural Balance, and Eagle Pack in shelter. I could see about getting different foods in, depends on the money situation. I don't know what the last home fed.

Thanks.

badger
November 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Can you get him on canned food? If you are feeding him only dry, I would soak it first, but canned would be easier to digest. I also recommend pure slippery elm powder from the health food store or a store that sells herbal remedies.

Here's some info:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

I've used it for my cat, who sometimes has rocky times with his gut, and it works well.

otter
November 21st, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm not so sure about foods but pumpkin and ground flax seed are both great additives. Actually any kind of squash seems to be good but pumpkin is the least stinky and widely recommended. I've even added things like benefibre (psyllium husk) when things got mucusy. I dog sat for a dog with Colitis and these were some of the things I tried.
..probably try to find a food with a lower fat content. I'm not sure if it's the same for dogs but people with colitis can have issues with fat in their diet.

Good luck, nice to see you back :grouphug:

Shaykeija
November 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
HRH Missie the Poo has colitis. I know Hills prescription diet is not the best, but after a lot of trials, we found this worked the best for her. She has on the average 2 outbreaks a year. I also give her pure pumpkin in every meal. I am lucky the little fart loves it.

SableCollie
November 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
We started him on the pumpkin yesterday, his stools were good today, and when his stools are good, he doesn't have accidents in the kennel, which is great. Right now he is on dry with the pumpkin and probiotic supp. I have some canidae cans I could start him on. I'm hoping if we find a way to get this under control someone will be willing to adopt him and continue with whatever food and supplements work. He's a nice dog.

pitgrrl
November 22nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I have a dog who has suffered from colitis his whole life, at times sever. Although common advice is to put them on a high fiber prescription food, or add stuff like brown rice etc., to their food (and I certainly know dogs for whom this has worked), I've actually found that removing all grains from the diet was far more helpful long term.

Pro-biotics have helped a bunch, multiple small meals a day (we do three or four) seem to work better, but by far the most helpful supplement for us has been slippery elm powder. I give aprox. 1/3 of a tsp (he's 50lbs) split up between his meals in a day, on a schedule of 3 weeks on, 1 week rest. At times when there is diarrhea you can mix about 1/4 tsp. with a bit of spring water and give every 2-4 hours through out the day.

gypsy_girl
November 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Colitis can be due to food intollerances, and I would recommend an alternate protein source such as fish, venison, duck etc. It sounds like you are having success with what you are doing now, so I would only recommend a switch if the issue continues
Good luck!

SableCollie
November 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Next time I'm at the health food store, I'll see if they sell slippery elm powder.

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Poor doggie, when he has a "flare" of colitis, he may not have control over his bowels. Probiotics does help keep the intestines in good balance, but must be able to get to the intestines so a high quality would be best. Adding the psyllium husk will help bulk him up. If it is a food intolerance causing this, then then giving him a wheat free diet may help (chicken protien seems to be another common culprit). If it is a true IBD, then it is an autoimmune disease, and a steriod may be needed.

Welcome back Sablecollie, I was thinking about you a couple of days ago!

Kristin7
November 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I don't know if it is the same for dogs, but my mom has colitis and she has been able to go off meds if she eliminates wheat gluten and dairy from her diet. Maybe the dog has some sensitivity or allergy to certain foods?