Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat getting gas since switching food

Masha
November 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I switched Monkey, my cat, to Solid gold dry cat food about 6 weeks ago, and he has since started getting quite a bit of gas (for a lack of a better word - he started farting :yuck: ). Until we swtiched him to this food, we have never heard/smelled a fart from him.

He also eats wet food once a day --he loves the wellness pouches, but its more of a treat than food for him as he only licks up the broth :D

After doing more reading its seems that a lot of people like Wellness dry cat foor and I am considering swtiching him to Wellness Indoor-Cat , any ideas on whether this may help?

Thanks!!

sugarcatmom
November 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't switch to any "indoor" dry food, they all have too many carbs for a carnivore. What about trying more wet food? Maybe Monkey would like some of the other canned Wellness flavours. My cat is also a gravy licker (he doesn't do chunks), but he does like pate style canned.

As for the farting, you could try mixing either probiotics or digestive enzymes into some wet food to see if that helps. It's possible his digestive system hasn't adjusted to the different food yet. Is it the Solid Gold Indigo Moon (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=90&code=90) you're feeding?

Masha
November 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi Sugarcatmom, thanks for the quick reply!
Monkey is on Katz-n-Floken (hope I spelled it right).

I have tried fancy feast pate, all flavours of Merricks (it smelled so yummy I wanted to eat it myself :laughing: ), Evo pate and Wellness pate. He licks these a few times and turns away and wont eat the rest, sometimes just smells and turns away). If he would eat wet, I would gladly provide it for him.... however he is a crunch and gravy kinda guy :D

How about the other dry Cat foods? Wellness chicken, salmon, other good brands....

sugarcatmom
November 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
I know the frustration of a dry food junky! It took me many many months to convince my dude to forgo the dry in favour of wet. Sorry to say it, but I think you're giving up too soon! Try picking up all dry food for a day and only leaving out some canned (believe it or not, it's okay if it sits out for 12 hours - maybe add some water to it so that it doesn't dry out to much). You need to get Monkey's hunger working for you.

Other things to try are:
- crushing up some of the dry and sprinkling it on top of the wet.
- dusting it with something like parmesan cheese or freeze-dried treats (Real Food Toppers (http://www.realfoodtoppers.com/) or Halo Liv-a-Littles (http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/TRT-0182) are great).
- pouring some juice from a can of tuna over top.
- mixing the canned in ever increasing proportions with plain meat baby food.

Some more tips can be found here: http://www.catinfo.org/ in the section "Tips for Transitioning - Getting dry food addicts to eat canned food" (http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_). While you're there, read the rest of the info about why a wet food diet is so important.

Masha
November 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks! I will try these tips this weekend --as soon as I pick up some pate food and finish reading the info in the links you provided - specifically the method for stubborn cats :)
I know that cats need a lot of mositure as they do not drink enough by themselves, especially since he is a male cat and had a UTI and stones in his bladder a few years ago, which is why I have been offering him all varieties of canned food that I could think of... but these tips sound promising... will update you on my attempts!!

Masha
November 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Sugarcatmom,

Thank you for the links, the advice seems to be working ! :)

As soon as I started taking the dry food away for a few hours at a time, he started eating the Wellness pate style canned food. I pour some of his favourite broth from the Wellness pouches onto the pate wet fiid and mush it together and he eats it without complaints and hesitations.

I was expecting a lot of protest and meows when I took the dry food away the first time, but all i got was a weird look and just a few meows and then he gave up and ate the pate.

YEY!! I am so happy for him!!

I read on the forum that some members still leave the some dry food for their cats to munch on during the day when they are at work, what are your thoughts on that? Is that ok to put out the dry food when I am off to work or should I put out some canned and let is sit there during the day?

Again, thank you for the information!! I have already shared with my mom the benefits of feeding wet food and she will transition her cat as well.

:thankyou:

sugarcatmom
November 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yippee!!! That makes me very happy. :D

I read on the forum that some members still leave the some dry food for their cats to munch on during the day when they are at work, what are your thoughts on that? Is that ok to put out the dry food when I am off to work or should I put out some canned and let is sit there during the day?

I honestly don't think it's necessary to leave dry food out. Cats don't need to eat all day, that's not how it works in the "wild". If you do want to leave something, canned would be fine, as long as it doesn't end up being more food than Monkey should be eating - free-feeding is actually the biggest cause of cats being overweight. Having said that, my guy does a sort of modified free-feeding thing where I put down his alloted breakfast or dinner and he nibbles that over the next 4 or 5 hours.

Again, thank you for the information!! I have already shared with my mom the benefits of feeding wet food and she will transition her cat as well.

:thankyou:

You just made my day! :thumbs up