Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue's Answering Machine

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2004, 10:38 PM
Boy, does this sound familiar!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press 1 if you think we are veterinarians and want free medical advice

Press 2 if you know we are a rescue organization but want to save money and have us give you free, untrained medical advice anyway

Press 3 if you make $200,000 a year but still want us to pay to spay the "stray" in your yard

Press 4 if you have a 10 year old dog and your 15 year old son has suddenly become allergic and you need to find the dog a new home right away

Press 5 if you have 3 dogs, had a baby and want to get rid of your dogs because you are the only person in the world to have a baby and dogs at the same time

Press 6 if your dog is sick and needs a vet but you need the money for your vacation

Press 7 if you just got a brand new puppy and your old dog is having problems adjusting so you want to get rid of the old one right away

Press 8 if your little puppy has grown up and is no longer small and cute and you want to trade him for a new model

Press 9 if you are elderly and want to adopt a cute puppy who is not active and is going to outlive you

Press 10 if your relative has died and you don't want to care for their elderly pet because it doesn't fit your lifestyle

Press 11 if you are moving today and need to place your 150lb eight year old dog

Press 12 if you want an unpaid volunteer to come to your home today and pick up the dog you no longer want

Press 13 if you have been feeding and caring for a "stray" for the last 3 years, are moving and suddenly determine it's not your dog

Press 14 if you are calling at 6am to make sure you wake us up before we go to work so you can drop a dog off on your way to work

Press 15 if you are going to get angry because we are not going to take the dog you have had for 15 years because it is not our responsibility

Press 16 if you are going to threaten to take your ten year old dog to be euthanized because we won't take it

Press 17 if you are going to get angry because the volunteers had the audacity to go on vacation and leave the phone work to a trusted volunteer who is not authorized to take your personal pet

Press 18 if you want one of the perfectly trained housebroken, kid friendly purebred tiny dogs that we have in abundance

Press 19 if you want us to take your dog that has a slight aggression problem, i.e. has only bitten a few people and killed your neighbour's cats.

Press 20 if you want us to use space that would go to a stray to board your personal dog while you are on vacation, free of charge, of course.

Press 21 if you are lying to make one of our younger volunteers feel bad and take your personal pet off your hands

Press 22 if your two year old male dog is marking all over your house but you just haven't gotten around to having him neutered

Press 23 if you previously had an outdoor dog and are calling because she is pregnant

Press 24 if you have done "everything" to housebreak your dog and have had no success but you don't want to crate the dog because it is cruel

Press 25 if you left your work only phone number and are angry because our volunteers who also work were unable to call you back

Press 26 if you need a puppy immediately and cannot wait because today is your daughter's birthday and you forgot when she was born

Press 27 if your new love doesn't like your dog and you are too stupid to get rid of the new friend (who will dump you in the next month anyway) instead of the dog

Press 28 if you went thru all these "presses" and didn't hear enough. This press will connect you to the sounds of tears being shed by one of our volunteers who is holding a discarded old dog, dying of grief because he misses his family.

Luba
May 31st, 2004, 11:07 PM
Isn't that the truth!!!!!

cutelittlemako
May 31st, 2004, 11:20 PM
I saw that before and I thought it was a bit harsh. I know some are true. I just find that it gives a negative tone to rescues, when in fact rescues are often awesome places that care just as much about people as they do about animals - and I find that this doesn't relate to the rescues I know.

But then again i've never worked in an animal rescue shelter or organisation and i'm sure these guys must hear it all! They do an excellent job, and I hope that with this people don't begin to see rescue volunteers as disgruntled humans who dislike anyone that has anything to do with giving up a pet or adopting one.

Kona Dawg
May 31st, 2004, 11:56 PM
did you get that off of b.a.r.k.? or is it becoming a standard thing for rescues to post under their "contact us" link

I'm with mako on this one, I first saw this on the B.a.r.k. website. I have no doubt in my mind that they must hear it all from time to time, but a rescue is a
serious and professional entity, I feel they should not have something like this (un profesional in my mind) posted on their site(s). on the wall in the office, sure
we do the same thing at my work, we keep it out of the clients, and public view though.

Iggette
June 1st, 2004, 07:39 AM
LuckyRescue, Working in a shelter you must have heard it all I think the reason this would be posted is for the person reading it to think twice about the reason they are contacting the rescue and to be sure it is a valid one and not just the easiest way out

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2004, 09:47 AM
I don't work in a shelter, and rescues are generally just a group of people trying to help animals. We have no office,shelter, etc. Our animals are fostered with individuals in private homes.

Yes, we have heard it all, and many people become nasty and abusive if we cannot immediately go and pick up their dog, or litter of kittens when they decide they want them OUT. If we had a place to put them, we would!

When we informed one lady, who insisted we take her Bernese Mtn dog on the spot, that we dealt with abandoned animals only (and had NO place for this dog anyway) she said Fine - she would take him to the corner and "abandon him." THEN would we take him?? :mad:

BTW, this dog had such a severe ear infection you could smell it two feet away. The woman said she couldn't afford the vet, although she was dressed in a fur coat and some pretty nice jewelry.

Princesss04
June 1st, 2004, 11:06 AM
That is so sad but so true. It makes me sick that people will get rid of their dog after years of the animal living with their family. He is not a pet he is a part of the family and I do not understand why people think they can just get rid of them with no problem! :(

mastifflover
June 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM
I think that it should be posted in every vet and rescue. This would give these people who think that pets are disposable a little to think about. I don't think it is harsh it is so true.

vedwards
June 1st, 2004, 12:14 PM
As harsh as some people may have found it, I think it was totally neccessary.
The lack of commitment is what destroys most relationships, ESPECIALLY those with are pets. Alot of people want to transfer THEIR responsibility to someone else and then try to justify it. Unless you are willing to take on the responsibility for the life of your pet, for it's entire life, for crying out loud, just say no. It's that simple. Well done Lucky Rescue, keep up the reminders,
that for every responsible pet owner, there are more, who just dont get it.

wAggie
June 8th, 2004, 11:50 PM
this is so so sad... wtf are some ppl so cruel??! :mad: :mad:

glasslass
June 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM
I've never seen that before - it's heavy stuff. :( I really admire people who are able to handle this day after day. I honestly don't think I could keep from falling apart. How can anyone spend time with their pets and not realize they have feelings and emotions too. I have copied that and am now going to email it to my friends. Thanks

Chany
June 12th, 2004, 09:28 AM
I think that probably sums up all the b.s. shelters and rescues hear all of the time. :( Maybe it would make people think twice or maybe they wouldn't rush out and get another pet again. Here's hoping! :o

Lucky Rescue
June 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM
I don't think it's harsh at all, and apparently not enough people are reading if you can judge by emails like this:

Hello, I have a 3 year old pitbull named Hershey, I have had her since she was a puppy and now I donít have enough space for her in my home. I have tried for roughly a year to find her a home and no-one wants to take a pitbull because of what they hear about them. She is an incredible dog, even with my kids and it breaks my heart to have to give her up but it isnít fair to her. There isnít enough space for her and I donít have the time anymore that she needs. I desperately need to find somewhere for her because she seems so sad that we arenít there a lot (I know that sounds silly). The last thing I want to do is put her down and I was told that you guys are my best set! If you can help me PLEASE call me or email me back. Thank you!

Not enough "space"? Did Hershey grow to be 300lbs, do you think?? So this dog she's had since a puppy, who is wonderful and incredible and great with her kids, is to be killed for no particular reason at all - even though it will just "break my heart". :rolleyes:

mizzlittle
June 14th, 2004, 03:49 AM
okay before I start - I don't run a rescue service I just have a lot of pets...

Taz came to me when some lady decided that she couldn't cope with him she was having a baby and well he was 'hyper' - she got him the snip and the day after that left him on my doorstep! Lost his manhood and his home in one day - he has been with me for nearly a month now and not a sign of this supposed hyperactivity - he is the most mellow tibetan I've come across!

Saturday morning (my only morning off) I got a call from a lady who got my number from a girl I work with... (who is going to get an earful for handing out my number!) she has a GSD x Old English Sheepdog - she is called Boo and is just under a year - suddenly Boo is too big and they are finding it cruel to leave her alone all day while the kids are in school and the mother works until 2pm!!! The dog has done €1,000 damage to the back garden - 'but we still love her and thats not the reason for wanting rid of her' we just find it cruel that we don't have enough space for her - a half hour later I got a word in and basically said I'm not a rescue and she shouldn't be pouring out her guilt on me... if she has decided to rehome the dog she should be calling a shelter and don't waste their time by pouring your guilt out on them - just a short and concise reason why you don't want her ('oh but I do want her') I just want her not to be so hyper and destructive - I told her she is not hyper or destructive she is just downright bored as all you have provided from the sounds of things are four concrete walls - so I wouldn't blame the dog if she rips up your flower bed!

I got to work this morning and she was standing outside with the dog - I WORK IN A LAW FIRM what the hell am I supposed to do with a dog there!!! I told her I wasn't a rescue and she said if I didn't take her she would have to go to the vet and get her done! The dog is in my back office playing with a kong and food ball which I had in my car...

chico2
June 14th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Mizzlittle,you are a wonderful person....peoples excuses for getting"rid"of the animals they"love"sooooo much is just sickening :mad:
I am just hoping that one day it will be pay-back time,like my mother used to say"What comes around goes around"..
Unfortunately it does not seem to work,most coldhearted morons are still coldhearted morons,not giving hoot for other living beings.

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I told her I wasn't a rescue and she said if I didn't take her she would have to go to the vet and get her done!

Oh, that's my favorite! This stupid, heartless imbecile gets this dog (did she think GSDs and OES are SMALL dogs?? FOOL!) but now if you don't take it, then it's YOUR fault if it's killed, right?

You are an angel to take this dog in. I hope you can get her the wonderful home she deserves.

mizzlittle
June 14th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Okay Boo the wonderful GSDxOES has now eaten her way through the kong and three files - my fault for leaving the files there but the poor mite is bored rotten being here with me all day. I brought her to the park for lunch - she was distraught at having to come back here with me though. She is beautiful and big and quirky but I don't think my feet or my maltese could take being stood on with her monster sized paws! Holly (my malt) thinks she is great especially for jumping at (I brought her up to my work on her way home from the groomers to keep Boo company). Now to figure out how to explain her when I go home to my Mother! Hey Mam look you always said you liked dogs well three has now turned into Four!!! a nice even number that!

cutelittlemako
June 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I think you guys are totally right, and there are some idiots that think of pets as something temporary and discardable. And I also know that you guys are the ones who have to deal with these people day in and day out! I would not have the courage to do this! You guys are trully special! However, the "answering machine" could make people feel bad about bringing pets in rescues that they truly can't keep. For example, the #10, on the list. Some people have pets and do pass away, it's possible that no relatives can take the pet (not everyone likes pets), so why couldn't this pet make a great companion to someone who would truly like one? And I know your shelters are full with deserving pets - but I don't think it's fair (especially for the animal) to put a pet in a home where he is unwanted and where he is seen as a burden because the people are not "pet people" and they don't really want an animal.

Also, if I found a stray dog, I could not keep it, I already have a cat and a dog, I would want it to be rescued by a shelter though. But going in and seeing a poster with the "answering machine" message on it would make me feel as though I should have let the dog where he is. The "rescue's anwering machine" kind of gives out the vibe that stray dogs are alound to be taken in, but if people bring in dogs (not personal pets I mean), then you guys don't want it.

I'm just thinking that it is interpreted differently by the people who read it.

I think you guys do an awesome job - and without you it would be aweful for the animals who are mistreated and need homes.

Lucky Rescue
June 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Mako, I understand what you are saying, but I think you may have misunderstood.

The word "stray" is put in quotation marks, because very often people will say the animal they want us to take is a stray, when in fact it's their own pet and they are lying to us.

Of course we help true strays and abandoned animals. That is our whole purpose. We will help any animal we can, but the desperate ones who are in danger of dying on the street must take precedence over pets that people want to dump.

And I truly think that a family who cannot find room in their homes or hearts to take in one little cat that the deceased person may have loved and cherished is pretty sad.:(

There are pets that I would not EVER choose myself and do NOT want - like a rabbit - but if my mother had one she loved, and she passed away I would certainly take it in out of respect for her.

cutelittlemako
June 14th, 2004, 11:05 AM
I totally understand what you're saying. It's just when I read the "family member passing away" one. I thought of this lady who lives on my block, she is elderly, and she has a Newfoundland dog. I know very little about her, but I know she has very little family - maybe some sisters, but they are elderly as well. (And even if she would have kids) - If she passed away before her dog does, her family might not want to keep such a big dog. Of course a cat is no trouble, but a big dog is - if you don't like animals (and it's perfectly normal not to). You can't impose that on people.

The thing is - people who don't care about animals will not be phased by the poster, but people who do care about animals will be bothered by it. And the poster is aimed at people who don't care!

I do thinks that it's totally on the mark, and it should be sent around by e-mail and such. But I think that it is innapropriate for an animal shelter to have it posted on it's walls.

All the other points on there are totally right! And I do agree that if you take care of an animal for more than a few days - then it is your responsability! If you can't take care of it - call animal control right away!

badger
June 14th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I agree with you, Mako. The poster is harsh. Maybe it belongs everywhere BUT an animal shelter. The thing is, once an animal isn't wanted, my instinct is to take it off their hands, no questions asked, for the good of the animal. But in my own fascist state I'd also like those people to be barred from owning an animal for five years, to give them a chance to GROW UP.

I am looking forward to July 1 with absolute dread. Seemingly half the population of Montreal moves on that day and hundreds (thousands?) of abandoned animals spill out into the streets. You may not see them right away, but they are there, hiding in vacant lots and stairwells, stunned by their situation and plenty scared. I will be looking out for new faces in the alley and doing what I can, but it's a damn small drop in a very big ocean. It's shameful - an old-fashioned concept, with unfortunate biblical overtones, but it's still the truth. SHAMEFUL.

chico2
June 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Yes Badger,there are a couple of examples in the adopt a cat/kitten thread...
sickening to say the least!!

Missy
June 14th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I can't believe how naive I was before I came to this pet board. Had I read this a year ago, I also would have found it very harsh and been a little off-put by the tone of it. However, after being around here for a while I have seen too many postings of "gee, I really love my wonderful dog/cat but because (insert excuse here) I have to give her up and it has to happen as soon as possible. Oh and I am just devastated." Yeah, right.

The only thing I can say is that these animals deserve a better home than what they have got right now and so they are better off being given away because these people don't deserve to have animals.