Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Holiday shopping for the furbabies ?

phoozles
November 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
I work at a radio station so we get strange news passed down to us from time to time, and I came across this from AP:

Whatever Fido wants, Fido gets.

Pets rule at the holidays, especially dogs.

And that helps keep many retailers' registers ringing.

For one pet, a five-year-old pooch named Coco, Christmas last year was doggone good.

She got a stocking full of treats and found a pink wool sweater, pink mohair sweater, black fur-trimmed parka and hiking boots waiting under the tree.

This year, her owner is eyeing a $120 set of pearls with a sterling silver bone clasp along with plenty of edible goodies for the pooch who has almost everything.

Consumer research company Packaged Facts says Americans will have spent an estimated 48.7 billion dollars on their pets in 2007, nearly twice the amount of a decade ago and growing at more than seven percent a year.

A co-owner of Spoiled Rotten Pets in Chicago's posh Lincoln Park neighbourhood says, ``People are going to spend on their pets no matter what.

They're not going to cheat their dogs.''

So I was curious what you thought about it. I love my kitties to death, but I can't even afford to give my human friends a $120 gift, never mind the cats, plus they would probably look at it and then run away anyway. I find that every toy I buy for Jake just sits there - but I make a ball out of a twisted up plastic bag and he'll play for hours. :laughing: Gotta love it when garbage wins out over a crinkle mouse I spent $10 on! :D

So - what kind (if any) gifts do you hand out during the holidays to your furry friends?

breeze
November 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
A big kiss and a hug... and maybe a new ball that will get lost in the snow and in spring she will be able to find it :laughing::laughing::laughing:

and I can't forget some homemade cookies......

JanM
November 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
My dogs and cat get a special Christmas dinner of turkey and veggies and special hugs and love too. Each dog also gets a new toy - stuffie or ball and they each get a special Christmas treat - homebaked cookie. Clothes - not for my fur family - they have the best fur coats ever!

ancientgirl
November 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM
I'd be too afraid to give my sweeties something like a pearl necklace. I'd be afraid they'd get caught on something and it would choke them, or they might break it and swallow the pearls.

No thanks!

I plan on getting them some extra special sqeaky balls, a bunch of feather sticks, yummy healthy treats, and lots and lots of kisses.

krdahmer
November 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
I like to get them replacement toys for the catnip ones they destroy. I have a catnip filled squirrell here that has seen better days!! :rolleyes::laughing:

phoozles
November 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Replacement toys are a great gift idea!

Also, I highly recommend the bag ball - read about it in some cat book years ago where you twist a plastic bag into a cord, tie a knot in the middle, and then keep tying knots until it's like a ball - cut off the ends, throw it and the cats go nuts!

I don't recommend adding catnip, though - I did that once, and the cats ripped the bag to shreds! :rolleyes: I had to grab it quick before the silly guys ate the plastic! :laughing:

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
My family buy the dogs toys and balls and of course there's the traditional Bag of Bags (an elaborately wrapped big shopping bag full of grocery bags for poo-pick-up) :D. I usually buy them something they need (new brushes, soft frisbees/ Flying Squirrels).. but of course, they spend far more on me than I ever spend on them. You should see the prezzies they get me ~ they have the MOST incredibly UNCANNY taste ~ it's almost like I bought it myself...:D

Frenchy
November 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
My fuzzbutts get gifts all year round , and it's called unlimited vet care :laughing:

I do spend every penny I have on them , so they don't get anything special on x-mas , if I was richer , they would.

14+kitties
November 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
How very sweet you all are! ;)Me.... my guys and gals will be getting turkey and a few new toys. Their best toys though are the live birdies they get to try to catch in the trees.:laughing: So far birdies - 100's, kitties - 0