Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raised Dishes?

Ford Girl
November 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
Hi there, I have a question, I am reading up on raised dishes and bloat, and I found so much contradicting info on it, big surprise eh?

I was told from the start that once Dazy gets to her full height to raise her dishes up off the ground to help limit the amount of air she swallows while eating and drinking, and to make it confortable for her. She is now so tall that she needs to bend slightly to eat or drink. I was about to go buy the raised stand for her....

Then I read in a Dog Fancy, Golden Retriever magazine that raised dishes contribute to bloat, reread it just to be sure...I also read something simular on a website. On other websites, it says to raise them. :shrug:

Just wondering what you guys think and do in your own home? I can see raising them to help her be more confortable while eating cuz she is tall, being so large and barrel chested, and she's a quick eater and drinker, I always try to feed an hour after or before exercise, and I do feel her belly when I can, it's something that's always on our minds - BLOAT.

Thanks!

Frenchy
November 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hi there, I have a question, I am reading up on raised dishes and bloat, and I found so much contradicting info on it, big surprise eh?

Same here , at first they said it was better to raise the bowls (I think this was to make us pay $$$ to get those new bowls thinking it would be best for our dogs!!) then I heard it causes bloat. My dogs bowls are on racks but not raise. They never had any bloat problems.

Winston
November 21st, 2007, 12:17 PM
Ford Girl! I have the raised dishes but depending on how tall she is she still may have to put her head down abit...I think they are better but really dont know alot about them...Winston used to choke alot and he doesnt do that now with the raised dishes..

Cindy

breeze
November 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
I think you have to watch and see if Dazy is having a problem with eating low down.. If you see it does not bother her then I would not worry about it..

For Bree her bowls are on the floor, I have watch her and to me as logn as there is food in that bowl she does not care if it is raised or not..
now if she was having a breathing problem or any discomfort then I would go out and but the raised bowls

Frenchy
November 21st, 2007, 12:24 PM
she's a quick eater and drinker,

What might help is to put a Kong (or you can put a large rock too) in the middle of her kibble , I do this with Sam, Nelly and Ben because they eat too fast.

Ford Girl
November 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it...bloat is scarey, I just want to ensure she's ok. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, altho over the last few weeks I've noticed she crouches to eat and drink, so raise would be better for that, but I have a feeling it would make her eat and drink quicker if she didn't have to think about crouching.

She does intake air the way we have it set up now, she burps alot!! She usually eats, then rubs her face all over the house then comes to you for a rub then burps in your face....fun times I tell you...we always crack up cuz it's not a lady like burp it's a full out I just chugged a beer burp...

She does eat quick, but not like some labs I know, now they eat QUICK! hahah! We mix wet and kibble, which I read helps with digestion and bloat, we time exercise around meals, we observe her belly as much as possible...my vet says raise them, my trainer too, but when we visit frineds with large dogs, I don't see raised dishes except for our doby friend who is real tall and necky...and the info is so contradicting, it's makes it hard to feel good about desicions like this.

I just had Dazy weighed and measured and she is well about the standard golden in weight, length and height, but in good shape. The vet said she will still fill out, gawd, I hope she's done soon. :eek:

I know I worry too much in general, I just like to be preventive if I can, save my money for other vet trips for pulled muscled and ear infections....:laughing:

breeze
November 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
you can always try a box of some sort to raise the food dishes before you go out and but one (to save money) and to see if it make a difference, about a week I would give it.. if you notice a difference then by all means get one but if you don't notice a difference then you would not have spent the money for nothing and save that money for new tennis balls :D:D

want4rain
November 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM
*coughs* go raw..... go raw...

you were feeding raw on occasion, how does she handle that? the same squallering and rubbing and burping??

-ash

Ford Girl
November 21st, 2007, 03:30 PM
*coughs* go raw..... go raw...

you were feeding raw on occasion, how does she handle that? the same squallering and rubbing and burping??

-ash

I don't feed full meals of raw, and I don't think I want to, I use the pet resort alot and they won't feed raw, plus camping and social events we go too, kibble is more convenient for us, but I do understand how good it is for them. I feed raw and kibble together and haven't noted a difference...and I haven't fed any full raw meals. By that I mean I add some meat and or veggies and or fruit and or yogurt to her kibble, I dont track and measure, etc...if it's natural and healthy, we add it to her dish.

And, when I place raw meat in her dish she takes it all around the house rather then stands over her dish to chew it up, it's alot of work...and I am not keen on the bacteria being spread thru the house by placing raw meat on my carpet. I could train her to stay there, it just doesn't seem worth the effort, she eats a good quality kibble and she does well on it. :)

I have thought about using old phone books to raise them for a week or so to see if it makes any difference, but what would I be looking for, less burping? Less air intake? Is the face rubbing a bad thing? She does it alot, after anything she eats, meals, bones, treats.

breeze
November 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
when I tried it with bree (I put a wooden box) I wanted to see if it would slow her down, less air intake, less stress on her joints.. that sort of thing..
it did not make a difference, she just wolfs it down in a matter of seconds just the same..

Bree still burps but since I have been giving her yorgurt for a treat not with her meal she does not burp as often.. and with this she is less gazy..

rubing her face maybe she just want a clean face :D
maybe she is saying thank you :D:D
(not really sure on that one..

JanM
November 21st, 2007, 04:22 PM
What might help is to put a Kong (or you can put a large rock too) in the middle of her kibble , I do this with Sam, Nelly and Ben because they eat too fast.

And here is an answer to one of my problems! Don't know why I didn't think of that! Amber wolfs down her supper - not her breakfast, just supper - so fast she regurgitates it then eats it again! I've been hand feeding her to slow her down but I'll sure try this one! Thanks!

breeze
November 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
they also make bowls with things sticking up out of the bowls to slow down gluppy eaters..

I have tried both the kong and special bowls none of them worked for me..
Bree just takes the kong out and eats fast.. anything I put in the bowl to slow her down she has found out how to take it out..
the special bowls she just tips it over and gobbles up her food then plays with the bowl..
I have also tried smaller bowls and she tips them over also... I gave up

want4rain
November 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
yep, my cats do the same dragging stuff. Mister eats outside while i clean up the kitchen in the evening. ive noticed with the added privacy (little does he know i watch him!!) he almost lovingly eats his meals. perhaps try feeding kibble in the AM and raw in the evenings and keeping an eye on the burping when finished??

i dont blame you for keeping a bit of kibble. we tried it but found he had an allergy to... something. who knows what it is and it wasnt worth the hassle to find out what. we find most of whats in kibble (canidae) we feed fresh anyway so it had to be one of the supplements.

i dont know abotu others dogs but maybe a larger bowl and a bowling ball?? i would think Mister would just take the kong out!?

hand feeding is also a super good way to train!! (another reason we miss kibble!!)

-ash

H.P.
November 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have had this same worry, we had a St. Bernard die of Bloat when I was 8. I decided that the original dogs (wolves) ate from the ground, she should be fine that way, but we only have an occasional burp. I think that since you are having the burping problem, it would not hurt to raise the bowls and give it a try. My Kayla Dog :rip: ate from the ground until she got old and it was hard for her to bend down.

Purpledomino
November 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
From experience I know your concern. My Chow Bear died in front of me from bloat, and I was helpless to do anything as it was too late. In his case, I truly beleive that the stress of going to the groomers that day was the main contributor to his bloat. I still feel tremendous guilt because by the time I found him he was too far gone, and died before I could load him into my truck to go to the emergency vet.

I have two breeds now that are very prone to gastric tortions as well, a Bullmastiff, and a Great Dane. I know the controversial opinions on feeding in raised dishes, but I choose to feed them raised...and two smaller meals instead of one. IMO with my dogs anyway, I notice more gulping behaviour and possibly more air intake, at ground feeding...as the dog tries to get the food into his mouth. I simply use an overturned horse bucket for each dog,and place the metal bowl on top. The buckets have lips on the bottoms, so the bowls don't come out (usually ;) You are also wise to schedule activity well away from feeding times, I do....and keep a close eye on your dog to monitor unusual behaviour, especially if he has a stressful situation such as a vet visit, groomer appt. etc.

Bloat is an extreme emergency, and you really should keep an emergency vet number handy, even if you know your regular vets number by heart. When my dog was ill, I found him after awaking from sleep..so I was pretty confused and had a hard time thinking straight as to the situation and what to do. In my experience, the real emergencies always happen during holidays...or the middle of the night (as mine was) when my vet is closed, and unprepared (staffed). This is important, as an emergency vet is open 24/7, and staffed for emergency procedures. My sisters golden was saved from a gastric tortion only because she recognized the signs early enough, and got to the emergency vet immediately.

Hopefully you will never go through this with your dog, but it is always good to be prepared if the worst should happen. I learned the hard way. :pray:

**Just want to mention that I add green beef tripe to my dogs food, pretty regularily...most meals anyway. I beleive that the digestive enzymes help in the process to digest the meal. Probiotics might help, or digestive enzymes in capsule form as well. I just prefer adding tripe, my dogs think its yummy! :thumbs up

Ford Girl
November 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone. We live less then 5 minutes from Calgary largest and newest 24 hour animal hospital, they even have abulances that are dispatched by 911, and I carry the number in my bait bag and it's on the fridge. I am very lucky in a city like this.

It came in handy July long weekend (you are right, always happens during the holdays) when we had to rush Dazy in from camp when she got in to something toxic! That was so scarey!! :eek:

I think I will try raising them and note the burping. I find the yummiers the meal, the faster she eats, if it's just kibble she takes her time, rocks would be too tempting for her and the kong would be removed too, I have scene those dishes tho...I will try to raise it with something I already have before I go spend money. :thumbs up

Lilybug
November 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
We raised Lily's (standard poodle) food and water dishes because when she was a pup she would frequently regurgitate her food (at least 5-7 times a week). It helped to stop the regurgitation...BUT...it did nothing to stop the burping...she burps loud and often! So, I don't know if raising the bowls will help or not...doing it on a trial basis is likely your best bet! Someone once suggested spreading the kibble on a cookie sheet to slow down the eating...
As far as rubbing the face...I agree that it's likely how she is cleaning her face...Lily will do the same thing to us or the furniture...so I grab a paper towel and wipe her face BEFORE she can wipe it on everyone else:) This seems to make her happy!

shelleyb
November 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone. We live less then 5 minutes from Calgary largest and newest 24 hour animal hospital, they even have abulances that are dispatched by 911, and I carry the number in my bait bag and it's on the fridge. I am very lucky in a city like this.

Ford Girl, we are also in Calgary and I would love if you could share the number to the animal hospital / ambulance. I would love to have that posted in the house and my purse just in case.

mummummum
November 24th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I've read as much as I can about this and honestly, to me, it comes down intuition and common sense. I look at the way my dog is shaped. They have long necks but they are still high off the ground. It's more difficult for them to eat food flat off the ground than it is to eat food that's at face level. At this lower level, being more difficult, this will mean they are gulping more air (one of the factors thought to causing bloat).

I would rather provide a surface that requires no bending, no stretching ~ and therefore, no reason for gasping or gulping.

It is also thought to be important that deep-chested dogs should do no exercise for at least 1/2 hour before and a good hour or more after eating. This makes sense. Not only from a breathing perpective but also from a hormone (adrenaline for one) and a stomach enzyme perspective.

For the record, I've had dogs who have eaten off the floor for their entire lives and I've had dogs who have eaten off of platforms for thir entire lives.

I wish bloat was better understood. :sad:

With that said, torsion can happen anyway and we all have to be aware of the symptoms ~ thanks for your thoughts and advice Purpledomino.

Rottielover
November 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM
With Harley and he mega, he has no choice but to eat standing up... With that in mind, I was also told to keep him standing for 10 mins after he finishes.
Also I was warned about the bloat with him because of what we have to do.
For us it is a no win situation.
If he aspirates his food, can cause pnemonia(can kill him), if he bloats can kill him.
Use your judgement, find the way that does not cause a lot of gas for your breed.